Who are your top 5 WRS of all time?

mdonnelly21

• 2 weeks later...

Anytime we have one of these All Time deals you must take dominance of era as the major factor,  no WR ever dominated their era like Don Hutson did his.  He was on a whole other level.

1.Don Hutson

2.Jerry Rice

3.Randy Moss

4.Terrell Owens

5.Larry Fitzgerald

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 12:02 AM, DinoZ said:

Anytime we have one of these All Time deals you must take dominance of era as the major factor,  no WR ever dominated their era like Don Hutson did his.  He was on a whole other level.

1.Don Hutson

2.Jerry Rice

3.Randy Moss

4.Terrell Owens

5.Larry Fitzgerald

While I don't disagree with your premise, I can't really rate Huston - I never saw him play, nor did I see his contemporaries play.

Not saying he isn't great; Just saying I can't give it the required context against those I watched in real time. I didn't watch guys like Lance Alworth, Crazy Legs Hirsch, Drew Pearson, John Stallworth - I've heard plenty about them, but it would be disingenuous for me to rate them based on anecdotal info.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

While I don't disagree with your premise, I can't really rate Huston - I never saw him play, nor did I see his contemporaries play.

Not saying he isn't great; Just saying I can't give it the required context against those I watched in real time. I didn't watch guys like Lance Alworth, Crazy Legs Hirsch, Drew Pearson, John Stallworth - I've heard plenty about them, but it would be disingenuous for me to rate them based on anecdotal info.

I never saw him play but Hutson really didn't have any contemporaries.  He was so far ahead of his time and dominated the game like no other since, really.   He had league records that stood for decades when he retired and still handful a few to this day.  I will say it is hard to compare players from the early days of the NFL because the game has changed so much but he still should be in a list of the top 10 WRs of all time.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I never saw him play but Hutson really didn't have any contemporaries.  He was so far ahead of his time and dominated the game like no other since, really.   He had league records that stood for decades when he retired in 1945 and still a handful to this day.  I will say it is hard to compare players from the early days of the NFL because the game has changed so much but he still should be in a list of the top 10 WRs of all time.  

Edited by Pugger

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

There is no NFLer that was as dominant at their position, as Hutson was in his day.  Yes I know a 9.8 sprinter vs slow white guys will do that but it is what it is.  Hutson was putting up numbers it took the next 4/5 receivers combined to match.  He was simply on a whole other level.

You cannot talk great WR's and not talk Don Hudson.

1 hour ago, DinoZ said:

There is no NFLer that was as dominant at their position, as Hutson was in his day.  Yes I know a 9.8 sprinter vs slow white guys will do that but it is what it is.  Hutson was putting up numbers it took the next 4/5 receivers combined to match.  He was simply on a whole other level.

Hard to put Hutson over Rice at this point when you factor in the level of competition & longevity (Hutson only played 10 years). Rice's all-time receiving yard record has stood for 25 years, and the only guy even close to breaking it (Fitzgerald), is effectively retired. If you want to put him #2, that's fine. But Rice is the undisputed GOAT.

8 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Hard to put Hutson over Rice at this point when you factor in the level of competition & longevity (Hutson only played 10 years). Rice's all-time receiving yard record has stood for 25 years, and the only guy even close to breaking it (Fitzgerald), is effectively retired. If you want to put him #2, that's fine. But Rice is the undisputed GOAT.

I knew about Rice while he was at Mississippi Valley State with QB Willie Totten,  they ran a five receiver spread set,  only time they used a RB was in short yardage.  They were scoring stuff like 70, 60, 50 points a game. Rice putting up cartoonish numbers.  Then here comes the Blue Grey All Star game***,  my first look at Jerry "World" Rice  vs the big schools,  yep, stold the show.  But he did start off slow as a Niner,  think he did figure it out,  ya!

I get the era thing,  Don Hutson isn't doing much vs 4.4 cornerbacks,  I get all that.  But....we have to go with vs their era.  Hell high school kids would dust Jesse Owens today, simply doesn't matter.  No wide receiver dominated an era like Hutson dominated his.  But...Rice number one based on just too many numbers will work.

*** didn't know he was playing so very cool to finally see him play

On 12/8/2021 at 1:09 AM, DinoZ said:

Hutson had seasons where he outproduced entire TEAMS.