Random Thoughts

dll2000

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Misery loves company. It what brings us together!!

Speak for yourself.  I'm just here for the naked girls but I haven't been able to find them yet. 🤩

There's a hidden forum here somewhere.  I just know it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

The same franchise let him go because they had the number 1 overall pick and Joe Burrow had a record setting season...letting Dalton walk was as obvious as when Indy let Manning go for Luck.

So what are you saying about Fields then, and if Dalton was as good as you are trying to make him out to be they wouldn't have had the #1 overall pick.

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

So what are you saying about Fields then, and if Dalton was as good as you are trying to make him out to be they wouldn't have had the #1 overall pick.

I am saying that us getting Fields was not a guarantee like the Bengals getting Burrows was...I think the difference there is pretty obvious and had we known we were getting Fields I would suspect we wouldn't have signed Dalton and would have still had Kyle Fuller.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I am saying that us getting Fields was not a guarantee like the Bengals getting Burrows was...I think the difference there is pretty obvious and had we known we were getting Fields I would suspect we wouldn't have signed Dalton and would have still had Kyle Fuller.

Yup, or had Nick Foles not proven to be far less than we'd expected although given how little time he had to prepare that might have been expected.

I track all of this back to 2020 when Pace got too antsy and rather than having the patience to wait out Cincy finally releasing Dalton he traded for Foles instead.

How much influence Nagy had on all of that we can't say but there are many times when Pace's aggressiveness doesn't benefit him or the team.  IMHO this was one of those.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

Yup, or had Nick Foles not proven to be far less than we'd expected although given how little time he had to prepare that might have been expected.

I track all of this back to 2020 when Pace got too antsy and rather than having the patience to wait out Cincy finally releasing Dalton he traded for Foles instead.

How much influence Nagy had on all of that we can't say but there are many times when Pace's aggressiveness doesn't benefit him or the team.  IMHO this was one of those.

Go back and read the threads about getting Foles and Dalton, neither one was expected to do much with a few talking them up because they are a Bear player now. And I believe Nagy had a good amount of influence on getting all QBs to the Bears with the exception of Mitch obviously because he was there previously, Pace isn't just going around getting players with out any input at all.

39 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Go back and read the threads about getting Foles and Dalton, neither one was expected to do much with a few talking them up because they are a Bear player now. And I believe Nagy had a good amount of influence on getting all QBs to the Bears with the exception of Mitch obviously because he was there previously, Pace isn't just going around getting players with out any input at all.

We all know Ryan Pace would never ignore coaches input when selecting a QB! 

HonoredSpitefulDipper-max-1mb.gif

(I do for the record think that Nagy was pushing for all these schlubs we've paraded through the QB room, but damned if I'm going to miss a play on John Fox. Not gonna happen on my watch)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

We all know Ryan Pace would never ignore coaches input when selecting a QB! 

HonoredSpitefulDipper-max-1mb.gif

(I do for the record think that Nagy was pushing for all these schlubs we've paraded through the QB room, but damned if I'm going to miss a play on John Fox. Not gonna happen on my watch)

I know about Fox but it was such a weird situation between him and Pace, but again that is typical Bears fashion.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I know about Fox but it was such a weird situation between him and Pace, but again that is typical Bears fashion.

Everyone here is hoping for Daboll, but the Bears are going to zig when everyone else zags and bring in a soccer coach, citing the success of Apple TV's "Ted Lasso" and he'll be from like Spain

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Everyone here is hoping for Daboll, but the Bears are going to zig when everyone else zags and bring in a soccer coach, citing the success of Apple TV's "Ted Lasso" and he'll be from like Spain

And to compound that, somehow our kicking and punting both plummet, but WRs and DL thrive when we do.

5 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I don't need to go back and read anything.  My own threads made it pretty clear I favored Dalton over Foles even if we had to give Cincy something for him.  I believe Pace favored him as well but when Cincy kept holding out and wouldn't trade him he felt pressured to do something and that something was the Foles trade and the contract restructure that ties him to us now.

My question is how much influence and/or pressure to move on to Foles was due in part to Nagy's creating that pressure and Pace responding to it?  Either QB would have been coming to a place with coaches he'd worked with before.  Foles with Nagy and Dalton with Lazor.  Had Pace been more patient he might have signed Dalton as a UFA last year so no Foles at all.

QUOTE: "neither one was expected to do much with a few talking them up because they are a Bear player now."

Huh?  Foles was expected to challenge Mitch for the #1 spot and Dalton was promised the #1 spot when he was signed.  How does that equate to very little being expected of either one?

I realized just now that I missed my calling. I should absolutely be designing the sabotages for Cutthroat Kitchen.

Petty, annoying, inconvenient, and a flair for the dramatic. I literally MARRIED that! I'm made for this. 

Edit - showing the wife this post resulted in me being called a jackass and getting hit in the arm.

CLEARLY I WAS RIGHT

• Like 2

Mitch is better than Foles and Dalton is only marginally better than Mitch, but the signing certainly doesn't tip the scale by any means. Dalton is the better thrower with no upside and Mitch is the younger, better athlete with room to grow.

That said, Pace and Nagy knew they had to do something at QB, and Dalton was the best insurance policy at the time. They knew were losing Mitch (b/c they opted out of his 5th year), they damn sure knew Foles wasn't the answer at QB, and they didn't know how the draft would play out or whether they would get a shot at a QB they had high on their board.

So they went after the best available QB at the time pre-draft as a "just in case **** happens" scenario. It was them doing something different at the QB position....anything.....and it just happens to be the same QB they targeted in 2019 (and lost out on) who played his best games with Lazor.

Now, I'm in no way saying Dalton moves the needle, but the move itself does make sense. Even now in hindsight. Which other available QB would've made more sense for this offense?

Also, if the Bears don't sign Dalton and the Broncos take Fields and/or the Giants don't make the trade then where does leave the Pace/Nagy at QB in 2021? Foles as the starter? Does anyone want that? I know I dont.

MAYBE Jones if they can move ahead of the Pats for nearly the same price as they got Fields but that's robbery on the other end? What's next? Possibly Kyle Trask without giving up nothing? Then what? We're stuck a...nevermind.

Again, Pace/Nagy didn't bank on the draft falling the way that it did, but they gambled on it while also realizing that they had to something, but the options were limited. They were blessed by the draft.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So they went after the best available QB at the time pre-draft as a "just in case **** happens" scenario. It was them doing something different at the QB position....anything.....and it just happens to be the same QB they targeted in 2019 (and lost out on) who played his best games with Lazor.

2019 or 2020?

It was last spring when we were shopping for competition for Mitch and Dalton was seen much like this spring as possibly the best available option.  But Cincy seemed to dawdle on whether or not they were willing to trade him then finally released him.

By then we'd already traded for Foles and committed to his restructure contract which has become yet another albatross hung around our necks.  What I've questioned is had Pace and Nagy been more patient might they have gotten Dalton in 2020 after all?

There are times when Pace's aggressiveness has been a benefit and others where it's been a burden.

• Like 1