Random Thoughts

dll2000

32 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

But I don't think Dalton is an upgrade over Trubisky, at least with what he has shown the last three or four years. Just go back and look at the thread when Dalton was signed.

I wouldn't agree at all that Trubisky is a better QB than Dalton.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

At no point in daltons career has he been more than average. At this point in his career, he’s worse than that. I think, at worst, they break even. But I’d have more faith in a confident, well coached Tru than I would w Dalton. Dalton literally adds nothing. 

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I never said Dalton was worse only that he isn't an upgrade, neither one is good for what ever system Nagy tries to use.

You guys are like the drunks at the taco stand at 3am, when everything good is all sold out and you're arguing the merits of just drinking some leftover hot sauce or trying the mystery meat that the line chef is making "no!" gestures about.  All our recent QBs are just bad in special ways, statistaclly you can pick a stat to elevate any of them but I know what I say and it sucked. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

You guys are like the drunks at the taco stand at 3am, when everything good is all sold out and you're arguing the merits of just drinking some leftover hot sauce or trying the mystery meat that the line chef is making "no!" gestures about.  All our recent QBs are just bad in special ways, statistaclly you can pick a stat to elevate any of them but I know what I say and it sucked. 

So what you are saying is that they are both bad, seems to me you are one of the drunks also that is saying the same thing I did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

I never said Dalton was worse only that he isn't an upgrade, neither one is good for what ever system Nagy tries to use.

I would still say Dalton is better than Trubisky...Dalton was a starter for a long time and you don't play the most important position in sport for that long and not get found out...he isn't great by any stretch and never has been...but he has always played solid consistent football...Trubisky couldn't even mange that.

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

And your making the assumption that he can't change when given the best QB options he has ever had here...it's the chicken and the egg...who was holding who back? Was Nagy no good for those QBs or were those QBs so bad they gave Nagy no shot? This is the season that question is answered for the simple fact of Dalton is a good not great level experienced QB in the NFL and Fields is an uber talented all be it rookie one...if he can't make it work with either of them then it's not about changing...it's about flat out being bad.

My assumption are based on what my eyes having been telling me and my ears have been hearing.  Does it dawn on anyone that while Nagy has always wanted Fields to do well in camp and preseason he's also not wanted him to do too well and force his hand to abandon his "plan" before he's ready in his own mind to do so?

Well brother, that's where we're at right now.

Clearly Fields would be the winner of any preseason QB competition if there had been such a thing.  If Matt Nagy cannot admit that then IMHO he should not be coaching the Chicago Bears period.  He's attempting to follow the same plan KC did with Patrick Mahomes but under entirely different circumstances in Chicago.

What I've bold faced is precisely what this is all about.  Nagy has failed to field a proper offense with four different vet QBs including Foles who is a competent NFL backup and soon we'll see the same with Andy Dalton who is a slight above average QB who can win when put in a position most NFL QBs could win in.

While Foles was finally able to be "showcased" against some deep roster guys in this last game Andy Dalton has struggled to produce against opponents starters running Nagy's plays.  Mitch struggled for four years in this offense but looked much better playing for Buffalo.  That alone should be an embarrassment to Matt Nagy.

Fields has struggled as well but he's also put up some respectable stats playing mostly with deep backups and has shown a proven ability to improvise successfully just as he did during his college career.  ALL of the reasons we drafted this kid have been very apparent during three preseason games.  He is the best QB we have.

All I can say at the moment is to agree with your last comment.  In Dalton and Fields he has two of the best QBs he's had since becoming the Bears HC.  If he can't field an offense that can produce enough points to win more than lose he should not be retained as HC.  IMHO it's no more complex than that.  If he fails it will not be because he was not given a chance to succeed.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I would still say Dalton is better than Trubisky...Dalton was a starter for a long time and you don't play the most important position in sport for that long and not get found out...he isn't great by any stretch and never has been...but he has always played solid consistent football...Trubisky couldn't even mange that.

Except for the last three four years, he hasn’t been good at all. I doesn’t matter what he did years before that, he’s another average at best QB that has been declining. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Except for the last three four years, he hasn’t been good at all. I doesn’t matter what he did years before that, he’s another average at best QB that has been declining. 

Him having declined still puts us in a better position to win than Trubisky did.

32 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Him having declined still puts us in a better position to win than Trubisky did.

I would argue that a well protected Dalton or even Foles is better than Trubisky.

I would say behind a bad O line Trubisky is better option and that scenario played out last year.

Dalton played okay for Dallas if memory serves when O line was in tact and really bad when it fell apart due to injury.   

And would you trade Monty, Robinson, Mooney, and Goodwin for Elliot, Cooper, Gallup and Lamb?   If you are being objective, in a heartbeat.  Dallas skill group is way more talented.  

I would say Dalton is going to have a very bad day against Rams unless Ifedi and Peters roid up and train hard in next two weeks and Daniels catches up as well.   

Even if they are physically ready, that line has had no time to gain continuity together. 

If for some reason the OL does manage to play well Castillo should get a medal.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Dalton/Foles/Trubisky careers stats: 

Completion %: 62.2%/62.3%/64%
TD:INT: 1.7/1.9/1.7
Yards/attempt: 7.1/6.8/6.7
Adjusted net yards/attempt: 6.0/5.9/5.6
Passer rating: 87.5/87.1/87.2

They all suck, the offense isn't going to get any better because Dalton was superior 4 plus years ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Dalton/Foles/Trubisky careers stats: 

Completion %: 62.2%/62.3%/64%
TD:INT: 1.7/1.9/1.7
Yards/attempt: 7.1/6.8/6.7
Adjusted net yards/attempt: 6.0/5.9/5.6
Passer rating: 87.5/87.1/87.2

They all suck, the offense isn't going to get any better because Dalton was superior 4 plus years ago.

Box score scouting doesn't always tell the full story...like I said I would trust that a franchise has put their faith in him as a starter for a decade over the box score.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Box score scouting doesn't always tell the full story...like I said I would trust that a franchise has put their faith in him as a starter for a decade over the box score.

And that same franchise let him go because he wasn't performing good enough, sounds just like the other guys. Again what he has done 4 plus years ago means nothing.

21 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

And that same franchise let him go because he wasn't performing good enough, sounds just like the other guys. Again what he has done 4 plus years ago means nothing.

The same franchise let him go because they had the number 1 overall pick and Joe Burrow had a record setting season...letting Dalton walk was as obvious as when Indy let Manning go for Luck.