Random Thoughts

dll2000

Caleb Williams was offered a one million dollar NIL deal from EMU alum and long-time Pittsburgh Steelers QB Charlie Batch.

The natural result of the NIL arms race was outright bidding for players services and we're seeing it already with Caleb William's transfer. EMU is an unlikely destination even with the NIL money because some booster at higher profile school will no doubt be able to match, but it's really a sign of the times to see something like this. With the rumored Travis Hunter NIL deal that caused him join Jackson State, it won't be long before this is common place.

College football will soon need a salary cap hahaha.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Caleb Williams was offered a one million dollar NIL deal from EMU alum and long-time Pittsburgh Steelers QB Charlie Batch.

The natural result of the NIL arms race was outright bidding for players services and we're seeing it already with Caleb William's transfer. EMU is an unlikely destination even with the NIL money because some booster at higher profile school will no doubt be able to match, but it's really a sign of the times to see something like this. With the rumored Travis Hunter NIL deal that caused him join Jackson State, it won't be long before this is common place.

College football will soon need a salary cap hahaha.

I had to look up NIL.

Good.  Hundreds of high profile College athletes could have made real money off their fame over the decades and had a great start to their life monetarily and never were allowed to.

Most never made the NFL.   That is a crime and unAmerican and always has  been.   The artificial limit of scholarship money - the case was that the scholarship is payment, that's fine - but it is an artificial limit that is patently unfair.   Nobody made a law that college presidents could only get food, room and board and a company car.   Nobody would stand for it.   

If I am worth a million dollars or more to many people, you shouldn't be able to make a law or rule as a monopoly that says I can only be paid in scholarship money and room and board.     This violates basic anti-trust principals and always has and colleges got away with it.   

Think of all the famous option QBs of 60s, 70s and 80s.   Its a shame.

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

#Bears have placed QB Justin Fields on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

And now there is no reason at all to watch the Vikes game...just get me to Monday so Nagy is sacked and we know what is happening with the front office.

At least Fields won't get hurt in last game of season and miss the offseason.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I had to look up NIL.

Good.  Hundreds of high profile College athletes could have made real money off their fame over the decades and had a great start to their life monetarily and never were allowed to.

Most never made the NFL.   That is a crime and unAmerican and always has  been.   The artificial limit of scholarship money - the case was that the scholarship is payment, that's fine - but it is an artificial limit that is patently unfair.   Nobody made a law that college presidents could only get food, room and board and a company car.   Nobody would stand for it.   

If I am worth a million dollars or more to many people, you shouldn't be able to make a law or rule as a monopoly that says I can only be paid in scholarship money and room and board.     This violates basic anti-trust principals and always has and colleges got away with it.   

Awww I don't know...tricky one for me...

Personally I would like to see everyone on the college level being paid for playing rather than just the top stars who then get NIL deals...especially if it then devolves into whichever school has the richest boosters are always the best team.

51 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Awww I don't know...tricky one for me...

Personally I would like to see everyone on the college level being paid for playing rather than just the top stars who then get NIL deals...especially if it then devolves into whichever school has the richest boosters are always the best team.

If a rich guy wants to pay some kid a million dollars why do you care?

It shouldn't be anyone's business.

An actor, even a child actor, can make any amount of money the market will bear.   Why should athletes or anyone be any different?    

You are worried about competitive balance in college football.   But that shouldn't be the athletes problem.  They shouldn't not make money they could otherwise make in marketplace because of that.   That is akin to stealing from them.  

Do we worry that Sony or Disney can pay actor's a lot more than a small studio?   Or be happy there is someone willing to pay them a ton?   

Only way to make everything equal for everyone it turns out is to make everything equally bad - in comparison to what it would otherwise be.   Except for the rulers of society.          

Spider-man just made a gazillion dollars.   Should Tom Holland's pay been have limited to same amount other actors get?

I remember a Northwestern RB during was an acting major.   He got famous during their first Rose Bowl run in forever back in 90s.    He got offered an acting role and had to turn it down because NCAA rules.

That is wrong.

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If a rich guy wants to pay some kid a million dollars why do you care?

It shouldn't be anyone's business.

An actor, even a child actor, can make any amount of money the market will bear.   Why should athletes or anyone be any different?    

You are worried about competitive balance in college football.   But that shouldn't be the athletes problem.  They shouldn't not make money they could otherwise make in marketplace because of that.   That is akin to stealing from them.  

Do we worry that Sony or Disney can pay actor's a lot more than a small studio?   Or be happy there is someone willing to pay them a ton?   

Only way to make everything equal for everyone it turns out is to make everything equally bad - in comparison to what it would otherwise be.   Except for the rulers of society.          

Spider-man just made a gazillion dollars.   Should Tom Holland's pay been have limited to same amount other actors get?

I remember a Northwestern RB during was an acting major.   He got famous during their first Rose Bowl run in forever back in 90s.    He got offered an acting role and had to turn it down because NCAA rules.

That is wrong.

I have no problem with people being paid more the better they are...I do however have a problem with a team sport having some guys getting paid and others getting zero...that IMO is wrong...say that stud QB is getting paid $1 million a season but 4 of his 5 OL are getting nothing at all? That for me is wrong...now like I said if everyone is getting paid a base then your stars are getting more then cool...that is a free trade market and there is no issue for me at all with this...like you said Spiderman should be getting paid more than anyone else...but everyone should be getting paid…

What I would like to see would be more of a college based NIL which would be non profit for the university…all the money gets paid into a pot then that is paid out to each player on the team…your stars can then also take on individual NIL for businesses that they want sponsorship from.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I had to look up NIL.

NIL passed July 1 and you’re just now finding out about it??

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have no problem with people being paid more the better they are...I do however have a problem with a team sport having some guys getting paid and others getting zero...that IMO is wrong...say that stud QB is getting paid $1 million a season but 4 of his 5 OL are getting nothing at all? That for me is wrong...now like I said if everyone is getting paid a base then your stars are getting more then cool...that is a free trade market and there is no issue for me at all with this...like you said Spiderman should be getting paid more than anyone else...but everyone should be getting paid…

What I would like to see would be more of a college based NIL which would be non profit for the university…all the money gets paid into a pot then that is paid out to each player on the team…your stars can then also take on individual NIL for businesses that they want sponsorship from.

My cousin is a TE at UT - this year boosters gave every single te on the team 10k each. Everybody is getting some of the pot.

There are so many local businesses that are giving guys things. Yeah, it might not be big time like someone like Williams or Ewers are getting, but something is definitely better than nothing 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

#Bears have placed QB Justin Fields on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

And now there is no reason at all to watch the Vikes game...just get me to Monday so Nagy is sacked and we know what is happening with the front office.

LMAOOOOOO

if he is asymptomatic and tests negative before Sunday he can still play tho. Perks of being vaxxed 

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

My cousin is a TE at UT - this year boosters gave every single te on the team 10k each. Everybody is getting some of the pot.

There are so many local businesses that are giving guys things. Yeah, it might not be big time like someone like Williams or Ewers are getting, but something is definitely better than nothing 

If that is the case then I have no issue with it...I just think everyone should be getting a base...the Vet Minimum is one of the best things about the NFL.

4 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

NIL passed July 1 and you’re just now finding out about it??

I don't follow CFB anymore other than draft time and that is just to watch cut ups.

My sports life has gone from everything to just the NFL as I have gotten busier.

Doesn't help that my kids and wife don't like sports.  It's just me in my house watching alone when I do.  I like to do things with them.   

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Don’t worry - that’ll pass. 😂🤷‍♂️🤨

Amen. I love watching football with my little dude but it would be AMAZING to get to watch one quarter without answering a ton of questions. 

Or without my wife asking if the Cardinals game is on. She's been a fan of Kliff since I started watching Mahomes at Texas Tech.