49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But I mean it was stated yesterday by Lynch that they tried to trade for him in the offseason but couldn't agree to a deal. So that was kept under wraps at least.

It must have been, because I believe teams were sniffing hard for JG. I think BB always intended SF as a destination if he HAD to pull the trigger (and it turns out he did). As a QB, you'd put SF right toward the top of destinations, because of Mike. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

That was an offhand comment by Lynch though. I wonder just how serious that got, if there was even compensation talk, etc. I think Lynch has already mastered GM talk, so I don't put much stock in much of what he says lol

I mean there is a reason Belichick/NE reached out to Lynch not the other way around right? So they must have known we would be interested in Garoppolo and that likely happened with the offseason talks.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean there is a reason Belichick/NE reached out to Lynch not the other way around right? So they must have known we would be interested in Garoppolo and that likely happened with the offseason talks.

Was it confirmed that they reached out to us first? Even if they did, I would agree that it was probably because we were likely to have the pick that they want (top of 2), and we didn't play in the AFC. The other NFC qualifier for that would be the giants, who still have Eli and may not have been as amenable to a trade, and the Bucs have Winston. We were the most logical choice. 

Some beat writers were tweeting that it seemed like from what Lynch said the Pats reached to Lynch and the crew.

I'm inclined to believe both teams had some discussions over the offseason about a trade. This was something the front office was thinking long and hard about. If not, what is the probability of making this type of deal in like four hours or however many hours it took?

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Some beat writers were tweeting that it seemed like from what Lynch said the Pats reached to Lynch and the crew.

I'm inclined to believe both teams had some discussions over the offseason about a trade. This was something the front office was thinking long and hard about. If not, what is the probability of making this type of deal in like four hours or however many hours it took?

Pretty good, I think. Lynch can still hit very hard I'm pretty sure. BB would have been nothing more than a hoodie with an arm sticking out. :D

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also, did anyone see where Shanny said he wouldn't guarantee the Jimmy will play this year? lol. 

Keep the 0-fer and the chances at a really high pick alive! It does make negotiating on a long term contract difficult though.

Not playing all season? L-O-L, Shanny is certainly going to play him at some point. I'd say he has a chance to start next week against the Giants, and if he doesn't, then for sure after the bye week. He also probably wants to wait until both tackles are healthy and ready to go. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not playing all season? L-O-L, Shanny is certainly going to play him at some point. I'd say he has a chance to start next week against the Giants, and if he doesn't, then for sure after the bye week. He also probably wants to wait until both tackles are healthy and ready to go. 

Yeah, I'm going to be shocked if Garoppolo doesn't play, and possibly concerned. It's a fun theory to say we should save him for losses and a higher draft pick (or so the OL doesn't get him killed), but that's going to be a long-term problem for coaches. This is a good opportunity for Shanahan to try out his offense with someone that might be able to run it well this year in year one, build some momentum, and get Jimmy more NFL playing time in preparation for 2018. 

I mean, to be honest, if Garoppolo started right away, I'd be okay with it. I want to see what's there. I want a chance to see the offense really click. 

I know I said this in the NFL thread but I would prefer if we don't play Jimmy until the last game or two, if at all. IMO tanking this season is pretty much the most important thing this franchise can do ATM. If we tank and trade back for more picks, we could get an enormous haul. I can't understate how important it is to look long-term with this team and that starts with getting as many high-quality rookies we can get our hands on over the next few years. I know some people detest the idea of tanking but I'd rather lose while it doesn't matter, so we can win when it does. If Jimmy will win us games like I think he will, I don't want him out there until next season. Also this way we can see some development of Beathard. He has virtually zero chance of starting next season but with this, we can figure out if he'll at least make a quality backup for us in the future. That being said I figure Jimmy will eventually get an opportunity to play.

I’m not so worried about him coming in and ruining our draft position. This team sucks and no ones going to make us win now. By the time he’s in with any kind of understanding of the offense we’ll be 0-10. If he goes 4-2, which we won’t, but if he does we’re still probably picking no lower than 6th. Obviously that’s not #2 but still a position where we can trade back for some extra picks or get an immediate impact player. 

Realistically, with JG I think we get 2, 3 wins max this year and are picking 3rd at worst. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

This makes perfect sense to me.  Darnold might not come out.  Even if he does we still might end up picking 4th or 5th and have no chance at one of the highly prized QBs.  Even we ended up as picking as high as 3 it might take a whole lot to move up to 1 or 2.  JG is a sure thing in the sense that we know we could get him for our second. He just might have as much potential as anyone coming out.  And of course if he plays a few games and absolutely sucks it up we can try to get one of the guys coming out.

Archived