49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

Garropolo gives the rest of the season some excitement. Hoyer and Beathard are nothing more than backups.  

At least in 2015 and 2016, with the team losing, i could rationalize that the greater good was being achieved with Tomsula and Baalke being let go for upgrades (and right now, i believe Shanny and Lynch are massive upgrades despite the 0-8 record). But now that we have a GM and HC that i think get us back to the top in due time, there was no excitement other than maybe we get a top pick at QB. But if Garropolo is the guy, then great, the rest of the season has meaning. 

Give Beathard one more start, then start Jimmy G the rest of the way. Heck, i wouldn't be surprised if CJ is so ineffective that we see Garropolo in the 2nd half of this sundays game.

3 hours ago, N4L said:

There is speculation that BB wont be around for another 10 years and that he might just retire when Brady hangs it up. 

That mkight make sense then.  Maybe he couldn't care less about anything more than the next year or two.  In that case Brady is the only option.

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Garropolo gives the rest of the season some excitement. Hoyer and Beathard are nothing more than backups.  

At least in 2015 and 2016, with the team losing, i could rationalize that the greater good was being achieved with Tomsula and Baalke being let go for upgrades (and right now, i believe Shanny and Lynch are massive upgrades despite the 0-8 record). But now that we have a GM and HC that i think get us back to the top in due time, there was no excitement other than maybe we get a top pick at QB. But if Garropolo is the guy, then great, the rest of the season has meaning. 

Give Beathard one more start, then start Jimmy G the rest of the way. Heck, i wouldn't be surprised if CJ is so ineffective that we see Garropolo in the 2nd half of this sundays game.

I understand fans excitement but the worst thing we could do is rush Jimmy G onto to field to get killed behind a injury-depleated O-Line. He has to learn an entirely new offense. Like Shanny said during the press-conference, they'll throw him out there when they feel he has grasped the offense enough to compete. If it were me, I'd sit him for at least a month. Let him learn the offense while Staley and Brown heal up. Then throw him out there for the last 4 games so he has some game film to improve upon during the off-season. Nothing to salvage from this season so there's nothing to gain by rushing hin out there. He's only going to hurt himself and the team until he gets some familiarity with his new playbook and personnel. 

" "If the Pats made the deal then we're getting the bad end of it""

Chandler Jones to AZ. I don't think we won that one.

I honestly think you've picked up a Super Bowl calibre QB. He's good for a few errors; not scared of double coverage and sometimes doesn't see defenders covering the middle, but he has great instincts, a lightning fast release, good pocket awareness and has a GREAT bail (will lessen the brutality of your OL), and he takes what's there.  BB said he thought he could have won a Super Bowl with Jimmy, but the timing was unfortunate. We wouldn't have traded him if Brady was out this season. 

You may have just become my NFC team. lol. Hope he does well for you, he's a great guy as well. 

3 hours ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

I had written off getting Jimmy since last off-season.  Not because of anything to do with Jimmy but because I thought he would be traded elsewhere.

The fact that we heard nothing about the 49ers getting Jimmy says a lot about the fixing of the leak issue.

Well, depends. Per Schefty, the trade talks only started earlier in the day, so there may not have been time for the leaks to get out :P

But hopefully you are right. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, depends. Per Schefty, the trade talks only started earlier in the day, so there may not have been time for the leaks to get out :P

But hopefully you are right. 

But I mean it was stated yesterday by Lynch that they tried to trade for him in the offseason but couldn't agree to a deal. So that was kept under wraps at least.

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But I mean it was stated yesterday by Lynch that they tried to trade for him in the offseason but couldn't agree to a deal. So that was kept under wraps at least.

That was an offhand comment by Lynch though. I wonder just how serious that got, if there was even compensation talk, etc. I think Lynch has already mastered GM talk, so I don't put much stock in much of what he says lol

Archived