49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

50 minutes ago, Psychlone said:

Hoping Indy falls in love with Barkley and we fleece them and still get the early first and get back our early second + a bonus for 2019. Then load up on the meatheads on the line because no QB or RB can operate behind what we are trotting out there.

Well put

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Boo.......

We're not on the "suck for darnold (or Rosen)" track anymore but I still want as high a pick as possible. So let him take a couple weeks to learn the offense and wrack up a couple more losses before we put him in. Besides I don't want him out there without Staley and brown. I want him nice and healthy for next year. 

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!! I'm a HUGE fan of Garopollo. Been pushing for him since the offseason. This is best case scenario for me.

No guarantees with anyone, but this is by far the best chance we've had at a franchise QB since 2005.

Also, Garapollo is a guy that Shanahan's been after since he left college. Shanahan evaluated all the QB's that year and was really high on him. Think he was with the Browns at the time but might be mistaken. 

Well now.... that this is surprising. I ranted on an earlier post that this team was tanking and that I had doubts about Kyle. When does he get put into the starting lineup? I say in 3 weeks after the bye week. I'm concerned though. This offensive line is still terrible. I'm not sure Garropolo will fix that

3 minutes ago, Miami49er said:

Well now.... that this is surprising. I ranted on an earlier post that this team was tanking and that I had doubts about Kyle. When does he get put into the starting lineup? I say in 3 weeks after the bye week. I'm concerned though. This offensive line is still terrible. I'm not sure Garropolo will fix that

MM said after the bye week, and I think that makes the most amount of sense. That gives both tackles time to get healthy, and quite frankly, with those two guys in the lineup, while our offensive line isn't great, it's definitely no worse than what half the other teams are putting out there a lot of the time. Our interior line is a mess, no doubt, but overall, the line is probably slightly below average. 

I just like that we took the chance. This is a relatively low cost (second rounder + money) move with a lot of upside. Yeah, Jimmy G could be awful. And I have some durability questions, but there are definitely quite a few pros to this move. 

5 minutes ago, Miami49er said:

I know you’re joking about Garopolo fixing the line, but he’s got a very quick throwing motion which helps. Unfortunately with the amount of time this line gives he’s gotta start that throwing motion as the balls being snapped. 

1 minute ago, straighthate said:

I know you’re joking about Garopolo fixing the line, but he’s got a very quick throwing motion which helps. Unfortunately with the amount of time this line gives he’s gotta start that throwing motion as the balls being snapped. 

Once the tackles are healthy, the line will be better. Its still not good, but it could be worse. I mean, just off the top of my head there are some atrocious offensive lines out there. I'd rank us ahead of the Texans, Colts, Chiefs, Giants, Cardinals, Seahawks (even with Brown), Bengals, the Ravens in what they are currently fielding (obviously, some atrocious injuries there), Denver...I'm sure that there are more. We need interior help in the worst way. I'd love to draft Nelson and pair him with Garnett (I'm not a fan of the latter, but it's too early to call it quits on him, I"m sure, and he has to be at least comparable to Tomlinson at this point), and then maybe sign a center like Weston Richburg or Ryan Jensen or something? 

Archived