49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

2 hours ago, Pandomonium said:

little film analysis on Jimmy

Love the way he moved in the pocket on the first and third plays.  Those are exactly the kind of plays I used to criticize Kap for. 9 out of 10 times he'd be off and running on those plays.  The second play is one we've already seen both Hoyer and CJ run.  Looks like a staple of our offense and JG looks like he's got that one down pretty well. Finally that "eye manipulation" play was a thing of beauty. Two different guys bit on his first look and the receiver came wide open.  Pretty!

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think there are legit questions about his deep ball, but the way he operates in the pocket is a major plus. He also throws really well on the run which I'm sure Shanny has to ecstatic about. 

Yea that is my one major concern with him as a passer. He missed several deep throws in his first two starts so that is something I will be paying close attention to. 

On 11/2/2017 at 5:01 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean there is a reason Belichick/NE reached out to Lynch not the other way around right? So they must have known we would be interested in Garoppolo and that likely happened with the offseason talks.

Lynch claimed that they tried to talk to the Patriots in the offseason about a potential deal for Jimmy, and it was shot down immediately. They couldn't even get their foot in the door. 

On 11/2/2017 at 8:21 AM, y2lamanaki said:

Yeah, I'm going to be shocked if Garoppolo doesn't play, and possibly concerned. It's a fun theory to say we should save him for losses and a higher draft pick (or so the OL doesn't get him killed), but that's going to be a long-term problem for coaches. This is a good opportunity for Shanahan to try out his offense with someone that might be able to run it well this year in year one, build some momentum, and get Jimmy more NFL playing time in preparation for 2018. 

I mean, to be honest, if Garoppolo started right away, I'd be okay with it. I want to see what's there. I want a chance to see the offense really click. 

Listening to Shanahan's presser, if he did play so quickly it's probably not going to look great. Shanahan claimed a player in his system can take two years to really get it under his belt. Jimmy's been exposed to it for like two days. Also, the roster is terrible. However I'm guessing Shanahan isn't going to put Jimmy out in a bad position. But how many plays is he going to know really in a couple weeks? 10? 15? 

Ok so looked at highlights both of Jimmy Garoppolo and Matt Cassel(since detractors are quick to compare the two).

Garoppolo has a much quicker release whereas Cassel holds onto the ball too long.  Both are mobile but Jimmy has better pocket awareness.  Jimmy's throws have a tighter spiral whereas Cassel's passes wobble a little bit(which led to a few picks in videos I watched).  Leg planting/movement in the pocket edge goes to Jimmy.

As for the circumstances.  When Jimmy started when Brady was suspended Gronk was also out with injury and Vollmer was also on the PUP list.  Randy Moss and Wes Welker were active when Cassel played.  Gronk is the Moss of this current Pats team as far as weapons and the threat they pose goes.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Listening to Shanahan's presser, if he did play so quickly it's probably not going to look great. Shanahan claimed a player in his system can take two years to really get it under his belt. Jimmy's been exposed to it for like two days. Also, the roster is terrible. However I'm guessing Shanahan isn't going to put Jimmy out in a bad position. But how many plays is he going to know really in a couple weeks? 10? 15? 

This is very true, remember Shanny was with Matt Ryan for two years and after the first there was some noise about whether Ryan and Shanahan were a fit after there wasn’t much improvement from Ryan’s play from years prior. Anyhow, the taking two years part to fully understand Shanahan’s system I can understand completely. I’d like to see Jimmy sit all year but I have a feeling like the decision makers might throw him in there in the last couple weeks of the year to give us fan base something to get excited about for next year, and although they’ll never admit it, better their drafting position to either acquire a top prospect or trade out of. Waiting till then will hopefully return some of our injured guys, Brown and Staley, and get some young guys more experience in hopes their play improves, Taylor, Bourne, Kittle, Interior OL.

10 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Well, for the most part it's the offense as a concept that he has to learn. The gameplans are created weekly, so he's learning the plays at the same time as other guys. But I didn't word my post in the best way - I don't really want him starting right away as in this week. I think after the bye is the perfect time, and I know many here agree with that. I just don't know that I want him to sit the entire rest of the season. That would be cause for concern. 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Kyle treat the rest of the year like the 2018 preseason. I'm not saying alternating units, playing Garo with third stringers. But after a few weeks of practice, get him in there with his very own prepared series of plays, sometime in the second quarter of a game that doesn't mean anything, whether we're ahead or trailing. He probably couldn't handle the full load of the offense, and would assuredly look bad. BeatHard has been here since April and still struggles. Garo has the advantage of being a four year pro who learned behind that Brady guy, but it's a new system with, more importantly perhaps, a completely new language. But tailor a series of play to his strengths and throw him in there for a handful of plays here and there. Maybe it would help getting the hang of it faster. If shows something, it gives the other players a sense of what we're trying to build. If he doesn't show anything, we can blame the learning curve and the terrible team around him. Maybe it starts with a series, then it grows into a half, then into a start. Not this week, not before the bye, but in december maybe. 

Archived