BDL 2021 Week 10 - Antarctica Katabatic Beasts @ Anchorage Trappers

Whicker

Antarctica Katabatic Beasts @ Anchorage Trappers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Antarctica Katabatic Beasts
    • Anchorage Trappers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/18/2021 at 05:00 AM

BDL 2021 Week 10

Match:  Antarctica Katabatic Beasts @ Anchorage Trappers

Away Owner:     @Pickle Rick

Home Owner:    @Scoundrel

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Week 10 Roster 

Offensive Starters:
🏈 - Lamar Jackson
RB1 - Mark Ingram
WR1 - Stefon Diggs 
WR2 - Chris Godwin
WR3 - Ceedee Lamb
TE1 - Cole Kmet
LT - Rashawn Slater
LG - Tytus Howard
🗿 - Ryan Kelly
RG - Trey Smith 
RT - Christian Darrisaw 

Offensive Bench:
WR4 - Van Jefferson
WR5 - Tre'quan Smith 
RB2 - RoJo
T3 - Brandon Shell
T4 - Jesse Davis
G3/C2 - Tyler Biadasz

Defensive Starters:
LDE - Josh Sweat
DT1 - DeForest Buckner
DT2 - Ndamukong Suh 
RDE - Frank Clark
LB1 (SLB) - Harold Landry
LB3 (WLB) - Roquan Smith
CB1 - Marshon Lattimore 
CB2 - Joe Haden 
CB3 (Slot) - Steven Nelson
FS - Anthony Harris 
SS - Nasir Adderley 

Defensive Bench:
DB - Rashad Fenton
DB - Robert Alford 
DB - Charvarius Ward 
DE3 - Jerry Hughes
DT3 - Jordan Elliot
DT4/DE4 - Tedarrel Slaton
LB3/DB - Hamsah Nasirildeen 

Offense:

QB- Joe Burrow

RB- Jonathan Taylor

X- Ja’Marr Chase

Z- Donovan Peoples-Jones

S- DeVonta Smith

Y- Kyle Pitts

LT- DJ Humphries

LG- Joe Thuney

C- Erik McCoy

RG- Cesar Ruiz

RT- Rob Havenstein 

Bench:

RB- Tony Pollard

RB- Darrell Henderson Jr

WR- Marvin Jones Jr

WR- Tyler Johnson 

TE- Tyler Higbee

TE- Tommy Tremble

G/T- La’el Collins

C- David Andrews 

Defense:

Edge- Jonathan Greenard

NT- Vita Vea

UT- Leonard Williams

Edge- Sam Hubbard 

ILB- Micah Parsons

ILB- Cole Holcomb

CB- Jaylon Johnson

CB- Patrick Surtain ll

Nickel- Kristian Fulton

FS- Jessie Bates

SS- Budda Baker

Bench:

Edge- Azeez Ojulari 

Edge- Jonathon Cooper

INT- Johnathan Hankins 

INT- Ed Oliver

ILB- Kenneth Murray

S- Kamren Curl

CB- Darious Williams 

CB- Brandin Echols

Week 10 Gameplan

Motivation: 

star-wars-boba-fett.gif

Offensive Formations: Our dominant formation this week will be 3WR/1TE/1RB (34%) 4 WR/1RB (33%), 2WR/1TE/2RB (33%)

Tempo: Playing a traditional tempo with lots of motion before the snap to help LJ see formations and reads. 

Designed Playcall Distribution: 50% pass, 50% run 

Running: Mark Ingram and RoJo will power our running game this week.   We want Ingram to push the edges on outside runs to use his athleticism and speed to break to the second and third levels.  We will also use zone blocking schemes to help give Ingram some cutback lanes that can be to his advantage and skill level..  RoJo will take the counters, traps and power runs.  In our 2 back sets we want to use the power game to the strong side with the TE.   Our beef up front and extra blockers should open up lanes to the second level and beyond.  Smash mouth football is coming back to Antarctica.  In the second half is where we will start bringing out the RPO, options and QB sweeps.   

Passing: Kmet is coming off a big game last week and is gonna be a big part of our game plan this week.  We want to give easy passes early and often for LJ.  We want to do this by getting the ball into our playmakers hands with space to run via slants, crosses, check downs etc.  Once we establish these, the middle of the field should open up for Kmet and the RB's.  Playaction will also get the middle of the field open for Kmet and company.  

First series of the game:  run, run, run, run.  We want to set the tone early and then move to play action and passing.

Defense Base Formation: 4-2-5 (Cover 3 Zone)

Cover-3.png?resize=750,345&ssl=1

Passing Defense: we want to take away the deep ball by playing our 4-2-5 Cover 3 Zone.  We want to play tight between the hashes, leaving only the outside flats open.  This will clog the middle and take away the TE and any crosses, slants, or posts coming into the middle.  This will also play into our running defense as well.  We will play almost exclusively zone coverages but mix them up throughout the game.  As for pressure, we will be coming at Anchorage with multiple exotic stunts, twists, and delayed moves to keep their o-line off balanced.  We will be focusing a lot on their right side (Ruiz and Havenstein).  We feel that is their weak point and want to break it by attacking it throughout the game. 

Run defense: We will be bringing Adderly down into the box a lot to beef up the numbers.  Our D-line stunts and twists should keep Anchorage's Oline from getting to the second level often and squash the run game up the middle.  Having an extra DB will also provide us more speed to help against the outside runs.  

_____

e olokaa na manawa maikai

Overview: 7 hard fought wins in a row for us as we welcome to Anchorage, our division rival traveling from the opposite end of the continent with a talented roster. We will prepare for a team that is looking to bring their all at us. We will be ready.

Offense: 

• We will play primarily 4 wide this week as we want to spread out their defense.
  • We will still incorporate our 3 wide and 2 TE sets to give us some variance and to take advantage of various situations
  • We will run a balanced attack with our run and pass game.
  • DPJ and Chase will be our outside receivers and Pitts and Smith will play in the slot. 
  • We will motion either Pitts or Smith around every play to help determine coverage and slow the pace down as well as eat up clock. 
  • We will attack on all levels to give Burrow multiple targets on each play throughout the defense. 
  • We will have plenty of high percentage throws available for Burrow and quick hitters to assist in getting in a rhythm and attack any heavy cover 3 usage. 
  • DPJ (20.9 ypc) and Chase (19.0 ypc) are both skilled deep threats and we will look to take advantage of some deep shot opportunities with them.
  • We will utilize combo routes but will also incorporate flooding zones against weaker defenders if Antarctica is showing heavy zone coverage. 
  • We will utilize bunch formations and run rub routes especially against heavy man looks to get added separation for our receivers.
  • We will utilize play action allowing us some of those coveted deep shot opportunities as well as shallow crossers.
  • We will deploy our backs into the flats and shallow areas to provide Burrow with check down options and safety nets
  • Taylor is our primary ball carrier with Pollard and Henderson as the spell backs.
  • We will utilize our zone rushing attack and look to take advantage of a spread out Antarctica defense.
  • In 3 Wide we will rotate between Pitts and Smith in the slot and Higbee will be our TE. We will look to combo route out of this formation as well in the passing game. 
  • In the two tight Tommy Tremble will play TE2 with Pitts at Z. This will be our least ran formation. 

Defense:

• Our base defense will be a 4-2-5 against 3 wide and a 4-3 against 2 TE, 2 RB/1 TE formations. Against a 4 wide we will play a 2-4-5 with pass rushing OLB near the line of scrimmage. 
  • We will play predominately zone this week using robbers, and show fake blitzes dropping back into coverage, delayed blitzes, and stunts to create as much confusion for the offense as possible
  • We will feature Johnson and Surtain as our outside corners with Fulton in the nickel and Darious Williams at dime. If Darious Williams is out Echols will be the fourth corner. 
  • In our 4-3 Kenneth Murray will play WLB, Cole Holcomb SLB, and Micah Parsons at MLB. 
  • In our 4-2-5 we will blitz a LBer often and roll zone to cover his departing area. We will have both alternating showing blitz to disguise who is actually going. 
  • These blitzes will mostly be coming through the A or B gaps and we will look to contain the edges to force the QB to stay in the pocket as pressure comes crashing down in their face.
  • We will incorporate an occasional stunt with our DTs. 
  • If Lamar starts, when we aren’t blitzing one of our backers will be a spy on Lamar.
  • In the 4-3 we will utilize Kenneth Murray and Parsons in the same fashion as we use our LBers in the 4-2-5. Holcomb will always be in coverage against the pass in the 4-3.
  • Against a 4 wide we will run a 2-4-5 with Greenard/Azeez rotating at ROLB, Parsons at LOLB, Vita and Williams at DT, Holcomb at LBer and Budda at Dimebacker next to him, 4 corners including Williams at the dime corner and Bates as the FS. 
  • In our 2-4-5, our OLB are pass rushers playing up near the line of scrimmage and have outside contain responsibility against the run.
  • We will play gap disciplined defense to limit the big plays of the Antarctica rushing attack.  
  • Sam Hubbard will always line up at edge on the tight end side to better anchor our defense against their power run game. 
  • If Budda is unable to go Kam Curl takes his place in all assignments.

So from what I can tell? Cole Holcomb is the ILB in the 4-2-5 alignment?

ryan reynolds hd GIF

I really want to go Antarctica here. But, Jackson struggled this week and they're still down on defensive backs and counting on Ronald Johnson to be a significant part of your rushing attack feels like a bad move.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

So from what I can tell? Cole Holcomb is the ILB in the 4-2-5 alignment?

ryan reynolds hd GIF

I really want to go Antarctica here. But, Jackson struggled this week and they're still down on defensive backs and counting on Ronald Johnson to be a significant part of your rushing attack feels like a bad move.

Holcomb and Parsons. Holcomb isn’t a world beater but he’s solid. He’s started 100% of the defensive snaps in 8 out of 9 games. The other he played 83%. WFT defense isn’t great but Holcomb is asked to do more and plays more than quite a few starting backers in this league. I’ve watched quite a bit of WFT this season and I like what I’ve observed. He’s definitely not Micah though. Plus Murray was coming off IR and I needed to see him healthy before I expanded his role. He will have a bigger role for me going forward. 

7 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Holcomb and Parsons. Holcomb isn’t a world beater but he’s solid. He’s started 100% of the defensive snaps in 8 out of 9 games. The other he played 83%. WFT defense isn’t great but Holcomb is asked to do more and plays more than quite a few starting backers in this league. I’ve watched quite a bit of WFT this season and I like what I’ve observed. He’s definitely not Micah though. Plus Murray was coming off IR and I needed to see him healthy before I expanded his role. He will have a bigger role for me going forward. 

Holcomb has been terrible in coverage this season though.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Holcomb has been terrible in coverage this season though.

He sure hasn’t been great but a lot of the difference between this year and last year where he was much better is play calling. The defense as a whole has struggled quite a bit because of the play calling. Your own Ernest Jones for example has played 3 times less snaps but he is giving up more TDs, more yards and a higher completion percentage per snap than Holcomb. With more snaps comes more exposure. And we can compare others like Micah and Werner. Micah has a better completion percentage against on more targets and a better QBR against him yada yada. David Long who is out for you this week has been very good in coverage and so has the defense around him. The whole unit has on the Titans. Again it’s about scheme and what you are asking them to do. Holcomb isn’t playing a bunch of man which is a weak spot for him. And like I’ve said I have watched him quite a bit and am happy with him in the middle of my defense for the role he is asked to play. As previously said we are running heavy zone and he would do fine there in the middle of the defense. 

Aside from the superior talent on offense, while Antartica has a solid D, the Trappers were prepared for heavy zone looks and have the personnel to attack it. With Devonta Smith finally coming on the offense looks like it could be the top in BDL.

I like Antarcticas ability to get after Burrow in this one on the reverse though, with Landry blitzing from his LB spot (I assume that's what they meant when they were talking about exotic blitzes).

I think Lamar will have some success getting the ball to his receiving weapons, but the run game is going to stall out big time with those rushers against that front, and I think that slows down the Beasts just enough to lose a close one.

• Like 1

I really really wanted to go Antarctica here. This is a close game of two top tier offenses in the league. This is even and down the wire in so many aspects. I think the lack of quality run defenders after Smith in the 2nd level means Jonathan Taylor goes off for some big runs. 31-27 with a 6-7 minute close out drive where Taylor runs the clock out for the home team.

• Like 1