I'm over our roster "strategy" and trading all these picks to acquire these players

RamRod

I'm about to go on a little rant.

I'm over this. Maybe I'm overreacting or just a little bit heated after this loss. 

I'm gonna leave the Jalen Ramsey trade out of this. He was in his prime at the time of the trade and still is now and arguably the best CB in the league. I'm mainly gonna discuss the Stafford and Von Miller trades.

Hated the Stafford trade when it happened. Way too much to give up for a 33 year old QB on the back end of his career. Guess they expect him to play at a high level until he's 40 but not everybody can be Tom Brady or even Drew Brees. Probably even had to give up way more than we wanted to because he egregiously gave Jared Goff that horrible contract. I mean, the Eagles are probably getting a first round pick for Wentz and we have to give first round picks to get rid of Goff.

Now Von Miller. 32 years of age. Also on the back end of his career. Didn't even play last year because of injuries. Still playing through injuries this year. How sure are we he's still what he used to be?

Meanwhile, we gave up five picks in rounds 1-3 for these two players on the back end of their careers for a Super Bowl we probably won't even make. The amount of risk with these trades is huge. It's basically Super Bowl or bust. Anything less has to be considered a failure. If we don't win one out of this I don't think it's too much exaggeration to say Snead should lose his job. You don't make all these moves with these goals in mind to come up short.

I guess you could say the draft is a crapshoot or maybe I'm putting too much stock into draft picks. There's no guarantee the players you select will even turn out to be good. But hitting on these players is a big key to success. You get young talented players on cheap contracts. People seem to love giving the Rams credit when they hit on these late round guys like SJD or Fuller. If the Rams scouting department is so good at finding these guys seems like there's no trust in them to find good players in rounds 1-3.

I mean Ramsey is really the only example so far of one these working out. Sammy Watkins and Marcus Peters were barely here. Peters was practically given away. Cooks had one good year before they bailed on him after an injury plagued season. At least they got a good return on him and turned it into Van Jefferson.

We've been lucky these past few years to not be hit too hard with injuries but now the injuries are hitting us and most of our depth are young unproven or even undrafted players and I think it's hurting us.

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. Von Miller and OBJ have only had days to learn the playbook and practice with the team. Stafford was the betting favorite for MVP before the last 2 poor games, and Goff has been pretty bad with the Lions so we clearly upgraded at the most important position and it would have been much harder to win a SB with Goff. We also lost Woods in Friday's practice, it's tough to lose a key starter on a Friday after you've been practicing and game planning with him in mind all week.

Let's see how the next 7 games play out and revisit this.

It worked out for the initial Goff trade. But agree with a lot of the post. It's too much risk when even with the best roster the chances of winning it all comes down to luck. I didn't like the Stafford trade or Miller trade because of that. 

But then to further discuss what we are doing, it's egregious to have little prime picks and blow them on Tutu Atwell. 

I don't necessarily disagree, however it's too early to call the Von trade a loss. The fact that we lost our best LB because of it does hurt though. 

The Stafford trade will never be a good one. For those who are going to jump all over that statement, I'll put this in bold. That does not mean Stafford isn't an upgrade over Goff at this current point in time. He is, but the gap is not significant enough to warrant the additional capital we sent and the six years of age. You can't tell me the last few weeks would have ben any worse with Goff. He was brought here to win the tough games and although his coach is putting him in horrible positions (just like he always has), he's not playing well enough to warrant the blockbuster deal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RamRod said:

I'm about to go on a little rant.

I'm over this. Maybe I'm overreacting or just a little bit heated after this loss. 

I'm gonna leave the Jalen Ramsey trade out of this. He was in his prime at the time of the trade and still is now and arguably the best CB in the league. I'm mainly gonna discuss the Stafford and Von Miller trades.

Hated the Stafford trade when it happened. Way too much to give up for a 33 year old QB on the back end of his career. Guess they expect him to play at a high level until he's 40 but not everybody can be Tom Brady or even Drew Brees. Probably even had to give up way more than we wanted to because he egregiously gave Jared Goff that horrible contract. I mean, the Eagles are probably getting a first round pick for Wentz and we have to give first round picks to get rid of Goff.

I'll say this about Stafford v. Goff, Stafford's turnovers come very early in the game. Goff's came at the worst possible times during huge momentum swings lol not that it matters, but Stafford I feel is head and shoulders better than Goff. Last night he sailed a few balls high, but his INT to Higbee was not on him and his first INT was essentially a long punt that should have been thrown away. Forced something to OBJ who either thought Stafford couldnt reach him so he cut off his route or clear miscommunication on behalf of the guy who signed with us 3 days ago and got in 1 practice.

7 hours ago, RamRod said:

Now Von Miller. 32 years of age. Also on the back end of his career. Didn't even play last year because of injuries. Still playing through injuries this year. How sure are we he's still what he used to be?

be hit too hard with injuries but now the injuries are hitting us and most of our depth are young unproven or even undrafted players and I think it's hurting us.

If Clay Matthews can come in and grab 8.5 sacks behind Aaron Donald and then never be heard of again, Von Miller at 32 can put up 10+. He was overcoming an ankle injury and this is an overreaction to Kittle steam rolling him over and over on social media, but Kyle  Juscyzk jumped in and through off his balance.

Let's bring the temperature in the room down. We have a bye week coming, we lost one of our leaders on offense for the season and had to scramble to get someone in his spot on short notice. We have two new signings that we will need to contribute, but need to get acclimated to the locker room and play book. We are 7-3 and still getting a Wildcard. Getting our $hit pushed in is a humbling experience that could do more good than you think long term. 

OVERREACTION!!!

I get the frustration after back to back bad losses and losing to the Niners for the 5th straight time. Rams shouldve at least split these last two games if not won both. The thing is I love what the Rams are doing. It takes time though. The Rams arent thinking necessarily about right now. They are thinking about the playoffs. Von and OBJ will be comfortable and hitting their stride imo when the playoffs come. 

I keep going back to 2018 when the Rams made all those acquisitions. It didnt show up in the regular season. The Rams defense had their troubles throughout. It showed up in the playoffs though. The Rams shutdown Zeke and the Cowboys. They shutdown Kamara, Thomas, and the Saints in New Orleans. They even shut down Brady in the Superbowl its just the offense couldnt do anything which made a great defensive performance mute. So I think these next 7 games is going to be about these new acquisitions in Von and OBJ to learn and get comfortable in the system. Stafford will get things going again. I think its less on him and more on McVay. McVay has to get back to what he does best and thats run the ball, bootlegs, and playaction passing. Henderson when he is given the opportunity to run he has ran well. He just needs more opportunities. I would be stunned if the Rams dont come out of the BYE against the Packers literally running. Stafford is definitely a significant upgrade over Goff bc he is a top 5 arm talent. He can do things with the ball that only really Mahomes, ARod, and MAYBE Herbert can do. Sometimes it gets him into trouble and even Colin said this on "The Herd", that McVay fell in love with Stafford so much that he has completely went away from all the things that has made him and the Rams offense a success.

I love that the Rams are going for it right now. Tomorrow isnt promised. I mean that in terms of anything can happen. Look at the Greatest Show on Turf days. It was short lived when Im sure plenty thought the Rams possibly couldve had a dynasty. So the Rams feel like they can win championships now then why not go for it? I think had the Packers done this ARod wouldve had more than just one Superbowl. Had the Saints done this I think Brees wouldve had more than just one Superbowl. Im glad the Rams arent wasting Donald and Whitworth careers by not trying to get them to another Superbowl and hopefully get a ring. 

Last season the Bucs were in this exact same spot if not worse. Brady was having an up and down season. They got dominated by the Saints twice, they lost to the Bears, Rams, and Chiefs before the BYE. People was questioning, whats wrong with the Bucs? They had to get it together bringing in Gronk, AB, and Fournette. They did have a young secondary that was trying to grow and get better. Things was just off but they put everything together when the playoffs came they played exactly like many thought they wouldve based on the talent that they had. Gronk showed up, AB showed up, Fournette showed up, the defense played great, and Brady when he had to make the plays he did. So again I think its an overreaction but I understand your frustration over these past two games but we have to be patient bc what the Rams are doing is for the long term which is the playoffs. We know they are going to make the playoffs and it doesnt matter what seed with this team. Just like the Bucs went on the road and won 3 playoff games with their team last season and the Rams in 2018 went to the toughest place to play in the playoffs in New Orleans and won with their team I think this Rams team can do the same. They just need to get things figured out and they have 7 games to do so and I think they will.  

23 minutes ago, Riftty said:

I mean we are 7-3? I don’t know if you weren’t around for but there were times we were struggling to win a game… count your blessings, and relax.

I understand his frustrations, but this is turning out to be one of those seasons where even the best teams can get destroyed on multiple occasions. I’d rather get the growing pains out of the way before the bye week as opposed to after. The Rams bye couldn’t have come at a better time. I think we’ll get things in order and make the huge playoff push.

1 hour ago, Riftty said:

I mean we are 7-3? I don’t know if you weren’t around for but there were times we were struggling to win a game… count your blessings, and relax.

We can't keep going back to this line of thinking. Just because we all saw that it could be worse doesn't mean that it also can't be better. We were 7-3 at this time last year while beating harder teams and still having two 1sts and a 3rd. It's fair to be concerned at this point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flounch said:

Having picks is useless when you're picking mediocre player. 

Brad Holmes is a huge loss, this year is the worst draft since Mcvay ia Rams. 

I wouldn’t say that. Tutu is definitely not looking like it’ll work out, especially after Mcvay got a little frustrated with him but I will never call a rookie a bust until the end of year 2. 

Earnest Jones has come in and shown some flashes but I wouldn’t say that was a home run.. but again I’ll wait till the end of next season to actually judge him. 

Jacob Harris is definitely one that I’m excited about.. it’s a shame he got hurt.

Robert Rochelle came in mainly because of his athletic abilities.. we all knew it could take some time for him to get comfortable. He’s been beat but has made some plays. 

Bobby Brown was hurt early in the year but I’d say it’s the rookie most fans were most excited about. Could be a great pick if they choose to let SJD walk (who was a 6th round pick and took time to make an impact) 

Earnest brown.. well since he was cut I guess we can say that’s a miss. He’s on the PS I believe.. sometimes with later picks it’s exactly what happens. 

Jake Funk was in line to get some decent reps this season and was hurt and put on IR

Ben Skowronek was hurt early in the year and managed to stay on the 53 and had his first meaningful snaps in the last two games. He wasn’t great but I’d bet there aren’t many 7th rounders that would have done better. He has time. 

That leaves Chris Garret who again, most were excited about. He had a good camp and was placed on the COVID list for week 1. He hasn’t played much at all but he’s from a small school.. he needs time. It sounds cliche but most 3-7 rounders could need time before developing into starters.

Aside from obvious injuries I wouldn’t say this class sucks at all outside of Tutu and E. Brown. 

Saying they could have drafted someone like creed Humphrey over Tutu - Or other players over other players LA drafted is a different topic.. but I wouldn’t give up on these guys yet. People need to stop expecting 7th rounders to be instant impact players. 

Edited by MDY10

18 hours ago, JonStark said:

We can't keep going back to this line of thinking. Just because we all saw that it could be worse doesn't mean that it also can't be better. We were 7-3 at this time last year while beating harder teams and still having two 1sts and a 3rd. It's fair to be concerned at this point. 

Let's be patient. It's not how you start. It's how you finish. The wheels came off over the second half of last year.

• Like 1