MVP Discussion

Hunter2_1

41 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Mahomes is not in contention, but it really is crazy how many people (Chiefs fans and non-Chiefs fans) I've seen say he should be after the game against the Raiders Sunday night. It's absolutely insane how much individual prime time games skew the opinions of average fans.

I totally get it - a lot of people equate the MVP as a popularity contest, which is sort of a truthful take. You've got the face of the league on prime time, you got big fantasy football numbers, you have a narrative. To be honest, it would be a compelling argument too.

However, this year you have a QB coming off of a serious ankle injury, playing on the most famous (hated) team in football, producing at an incredible level and positioned to win their division and HFA.

That's one heckuva narrative.

Dak led his team to a 30-0 deficit to a 4-4 team with 6:32 to play before garbage time. (9 days ago) His backup thrived in that offense.

Brady had 5 turnovers in the past 2 winnable games, both losses.

Josh Allen was horrific and the 2nd best Josh Allen on the field vs Jacksonville. The Bills are 2-3 when not playing the Jets, Dolphins, or Texans.

Stafford has missed basic NFL QB throws for the 3rd game now this year with a national audience watching (including his Wentz moment)

Lamar Jackson has 6 TDs and 5 picks in the last 4 with a 78.9 passer rating (can I say its hard to outrun that?)

Kyler Murray has missed 2 games and was fairly awful in the last game he did play in. His backup thrived in 1 of those 2 games.

Wilson missed 3 games and Geno could not have been any worse than zero points on Sunday.

Rodgers has 3 games under 200 yards passing, was a liar and serial rulebreaker who dodged a well deserved suspension, and was carried to a win this week in a bad game by him in his passive aggressive revenge tour game. He also got humiliated in week 1.

King Henry is probably out for the year.

Joe Burrow has 5 games above 113 rating and 2 games below 70. His team losing that weird Green Bay OT game does not help. It would have been a boost.

Kirk Cousins has 18 TDs to 2 picks but he's 4-5 and he's Cousins with all that entails.

I guess it should be Cooper Kupp right now but voters don't give the award to WRs

Jonathan Taylor is coming on strong too. ( 10 TDs and 1240 yards from scrimmage at 5.4 a run and 9.3 a catch) Indy would have to stay hot.

Maybe the 49ers can start feeding Deebo and go on a run?

Yeah, its wide open. Any of those QBs can go on a streak and those 3 position players could get hot (or hotter)

Sir not appearing in the actual MVP race: Wentz has 17 TDs to 3 picks but one of those picks counted for 10 to the voters. (he's also well behind Taylor on his own team)

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, stl4life07 said:

He is currently my favorite right now. There is still a long season to go and they have a huge game against the Chiefs next week. If the Cowboys lose and the Chiefs literally look dominate like they were against the Raiders then that will take Dak out of the current spot too. So right now Dak is the fav but if he really want to supplant himself at the top he has to beat the Chiefs and look impressive. If not then I then I think its still wide open. 

Again we forget its still a very long season. Even for Stafford who still will be playing plenty of national tv games having one of the toughest schedules in the NFL. If he turns it around and starts playing well again, which I strongly believe he will, then he will be right back at the top come the end of the season. People will look at these past two games as bumps in the road which seemingly every team goes through in a long season. Same for Brady as well. I would put Kyler in there but if he misses next week bc of the Cards holding him out until after the BYE to fully get healthy then Idk how much of time missed will hurt him. But it also helps Allen and Lamar too. But yeah currently Dak is the fav and he has a chance to really supplant himself next week if he looks great and the Cowboys beat the Chiefs.

You know, I saw your name and I initially thought to myself "this is gonna be a pledge for a Rams player isn't it?"

Then I actually started to read your post and part way thru I was thinking..."damn maybe I was wrong".

But then you disappointed me by bringing up Stafford.

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You know, I saw your name and I initially thought to myself "this is gonna be a pledge for a Rams player isn't it?"

Then I actually started to read your post and part way thru I was thinking..."damn maybe I was wrong".

But then you disappointed me by bringing up Stafford.

Haha well I’m sure you can’t disagree. This race isn’t over. If Dak stumbles then everyone is back in the mix. The Rams still have a lot of national tv games plus they have the toughest remaining schedule amongst the top teams. If he shines and the Rams win and end up finishing at the top of the NFCW which many feel is the best/toughest division in football then why can’t Stafford still have a really good shot to win? 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:28 AM, BigTrav said:

Mahomes won’t win it, he doesn’t have the narrative on his side.

I can’t believe people actually thought Stad Padford would win it. He who can only beat up on bad teams.

Dang you just called the Bucs a bad football team 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 10:04 PM, SkippyX said:

Dak led his team to a 30-0 deficit to a 4-4 team with 6:32 to play before garbage time. (9 days ago) His backup thrived in that offense.

Brady had 5 turnovers in the past 2 winnable games, both losses.

Josh Allen was horrific and the 2nd best Josh Allen on the field vs Jacksonville. The Bills are 2-3 when not playing the Jets, Dolphins, or Texans.

Stafford has missed basic NFL QB throws for the 3rd game now this year with a national audience watching (including his Wentz moment)

Lamar Jackson has 6 TDs and 5 picks in the last 4 with a 78.9 passer rating (can I say its hard to outrun that?)

Kyler Murray has missed 2 games and was fairly awful in the last game he did play in. His backup thrived in 1 of those 2 games.

Wilson missed 3 games and Geno could not have been any worse than zero points on Sunday.

Rodgers has 3 games under 200 yards passing, was a liar and serial rulebreaker who dodged a well deserved suspension, and was carried to a win this week in a bad game by him in his passive aggressive revenge tour game. He also got humiliated in week 1.

King Henry is probably out for the year.

Joe Burrow has 5 games above 113 rating and 2 games below 70. His team losing that weird Green Bay OT game does not help. It would have been a boost.

Kirk Cousins has 18 TDs to 2 picks but he's 4-5 and he's Cousins with all that entails.

I guess it should be Cooper Kupp right now but voters don't give the award to WRs

Jonathan Taylor is coming on strong too. ( 10 TDs and 1240 yards from scrimmage at 5.4 a run and 9.3 a catch) Indy would have to stay hot.

Maybe the 49ers can start feeding Deebo and go on a run?

Yeah, its wide open. Any of those QBs can go on a streak and those 3 position players could get hot (or hotter)

Sir not appearing in the actual MVP race: Wentz has 17 TDs to 3 picks but one of those picks counted for 10 to the voters. (he's also well behind Taylor on his own team)

It would be cool in a weird season that the MVP should be given to a non QB. If Kupp is right now doing historical things and is consistent every week meanwhile it’s so bunched up at QB with up and down performances from every top candidate I think Kupp should get the MVP. He is the definition of most valuable player. He is valuable to the way the Rams run their offense. Not to mention if the NFL want to show that this isn’t just a QB award this is their chance. College football did it when they awarded Smith the Heisman last season when they could’ve just gave it to Jones who had a sensational year too. 

Biggest game in the McCarthy era since the Pats game earlier this year. Especially with where the Packers are. However, it is non conference and I don’t think H2H is applicable this year. Biggest game will be that first divisional round game should the Cowboys get the bye or win their WC game against the bottom feeder NFC teams. 49ers are dangerous, as is Minnesota. Philly also alive but match up poorly.