17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

According to Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago, "the two clubs showing the most interest" in Jake Arrieta are the Cubs and Cardinals.

They can have him.  I love Jake and we don't win in 2016 without him, but I wouldn't pay for that sentimentality.  If the Cubs are spending a sizeable amount this offseason, give it to Darvish.

Hosmer will stay with the Royals in that case but I can see Arrieta going to the Cardinals. This Red Sox fan would like to see JD Martinez with the team. As to the Hall of Fame my ballot would have been Bonds, Clemens, Hoffman, Chipper Jones, Thome, Edgar, Mussina, Walker, Schilling and Sosa so I think 4-5 of them could get in this year. As to Bonds and Clemens I think they make it in 2019 or 2020. 

4 hours ago, Dingo18287 said:

Reports stating that both the Padres and Royals have offered Hosmer 7 years and $140 million, with the Royals having the slightly better offer.

He would take far more of that money home with Missouri taxes than California taxes too, just saying. 

I'm not sure if I even want Hosmer back though. Kind of want to just go full on tank mode, get Dayton fired, and turn the page. Oh well

3 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

He would take far more of that money home with Missouri taxes than California taxes too, just saying. 

I'm not sure if I even want Hosmer back though. Kind of want to just go full on tank mode, get Dayton fired, and turn the page. Oh well

The difference between California at $140M and Missouri at $147M is about $12M in total using a nominal national average of 6% state income tax and half of the service time.

I'll reiterate this, it's same thing thing w/ Hosmer as it is Arrieta w/ the Cardinals. They're not going to offer a seven year deal. If Hosmer wants to take a 3-4 year deal, I think we'd be in on him, if not it's just due diligence on our part...

Basically, we're not signing Eric Hosmer unless he wants to test FA again in a few years...

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The difference between California at $140M and Missouri at $147M is about $12M in total using a nominal national average of 6% state income tax and half of the service time.

Just gonna keep the $140M constant to show the affect on taxes alone:

Missouri state IT (6%) = $8.4

Kansas City city earnings tax (1%) = $1.4

Total for KC = $9.8M

California state IT (13.3%) = $18.62

SD city income tax (8%) = $11.2

Total for SD = $29.82

Difference = $20.02M (14.3% pay difference)

thats pretty significant.

EDIT: you were right in prorating for half games played at home (not gonna dive deep into schedules), so difference would be $10M and 7%, so i think we got to the sameish answer :)

Still worth considering IMO

2 minutes ago, Joyride15 said:

Just gonna keep the $140M constant to show the affect on taxes alone:

Missouri state IT (6%) = $8.4

Kansas City city earnings tax (1%) = $1.4

Total for KC = $9.8M

California state IT (13.3%) = $18.62

SD city income tax (8%) = $11.2

Total for SD = $29.82

Difference = $20.02M (14.3% pay difference)

thats pretty significant.

I didn't do the city taxes, good catch.

With the state taxes, they are actually calculated based on where they are playing that day. So Giancarlo Stanton still paid state income tax while he was a Marlin during most of his road games even though Florida doesn't have a state income tax.

For my calc, I just assumed that it would be about 50/50 home/road, and used the national average state income tax (nominally like 6%) as the other half. A real agency would probably use historic data to figure out the actual numbers to more precision.

10 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Braves are interested in Realmuto and Yelich. Wonder what kind of package we would have to give up to land both.

Basically your entire farm with any significant upside. Both of those player are coming into their prime, have quality resumes, play a prime position and have insanely valuable contracts/team control...

Archived