17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Astros have engaged the Pirates on a potential Gerrit Cole trade.

This report comes on the heels of a comment from Astros owner Jim Crane stating that the team expects to add a "high-end starter" before heading to spring training. Cole had been drawing heavy trade interest from the Yankees, but New York has not been able to match up with the Pirates on a deal that makes sense for both sides. Passan says Houston has floated outfielder Derek Fisher in a possible return package for Cole but adds that one of Kyle Tucker or Forrest Whitley -- the Astros' top two prospects -- would probably have to be included.

5 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

why would the Dbacks do that? I think better bet for Ellsbury is the Giants. The Giants can take salary on I believe.

Not sure it was just thrown out by a radio guy here with Robertson in the deal too. 

2 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Astros have engaged the Pirates on a potential Gerrit Cole trade.

This report comes on the heels of a comment from Astros owner Jim Crane stating that the team expects to add a "high-end starter" before heading to spring training. Cole had been drawing heavy trade interest from the Yankees, but New York has not been able to match up with the Pirates on a deal that makes sense for both sides. Passan says Houston has floated outfielder Derek Fisher in a possible return package for Cole but adds that one of Kyle Tucker or Forrest Whitley -- the Astros' top two prospects -- would probably have to be included.

Don't see Tucker being available unless there's an extension window (and agreement) given before the deal is done (Cole only has two years of team control left).  Whitley is completely off-limits I would imagine.

If I had to guess, I think Darvish is the most likely acquisition.  No comp pick, highest upside (in my opinion), might be able to get a deal done at 5 years.  

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

Not sure it was just thrown out by a radio guy here with Robertson in the deal too. 

Robertson + Ellsbury is what, $35 million next year?  Even if the D'backs would do that from a player perspective they can't afford to do that.

3 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

No thanks to either Tucker or Whitley playing in the NL Central.  

1 hour ago, GmenSeattle said:

Robertson + Ellsbury is what, $35 million next year?  Even if the D'backs would do that from a player perspective they can't afford to do that.

Tomas and Pollock are 20 mil.  With AZ's bullpen issues it's like paying Robertson a 1-yr deal to set up Bradley.

Tomas has 45m remaining and he's a negative WAR player on a NL team so the difference with Ellsbury is 2-3-4 WAR.

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

No thanks to either Tucker or Whitley playing in the NL Central.  

I love being in the AL now but man nothing like the Cubs and Cardinals being your division rivals.  I miss it.  

7 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Tomas and Pollock are 20 mil.  With AZ's bullpen issues it's like paying Robertson a 1-yr deal to set up Bradley.

Tomas has 45m remaining and he's a negative WAR player on a NL team so the difference with Ellsbury is 2-3-4 WAR.

I don't think the Yankees would do it either though tbh.  Robertson probably goes into 2018 as our 8th inning guy and Pollock and Tomas don't have a spot on the team anymore than Ellsbury does.  We're already under the cap if we don't add another big salary. 

Plus I'd rather pay $20M to one 5th/6th outfielder taking up a spot on the 40, than two.

10 hours ago, CAS22 said:

I love being in the AL now but man nothing like the Cubs and Cardinals being your division rivals.  I miss it.  

We definitely appreciate you leaving just as you got good.

Having a market size of 8 people and being stuck in the same division as the Cubs, Astros, and Devil Magic would just be unfair.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We definitely appreciate you leaving just as you got good.

Having a market size of 8 people and being stuck in the same division as the Cubs, Astros, and Devil Magic would just be unfair.

It's mutually beneficial, much rather be in the AL West. With how good and young both teams are, one of the Stros/Cubs being relegated to the Wild Card every year would be crazy. Can't lie though, it'd be fun. Playing the Angels/Mariners/A's just doesn't feel any different than normal games, and terrible start times for us when playing them. 

1 hour ago, Spartica4Real said:

It's mutually beneficial, much rather be in the AL West. With how good and young both teams are, one of the Stros/Cubs being relegated to the Wild Card every year would be crazy. Can't lie though, it'd be fun. Playing the Angels/Mariners/A's just doesn't feel any different than normal games, and terrible start times for us when playing them. 

That's what would get me.  I wouldn't be able to watch the end of a lot of games.

Archived