17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

If nothing else he should be a good mentor for Dom.

I actually think he'll be a productive piece for them. Maybe not every day, but I think he will still have a little something left in the tank at the plate. 

On 12/01/2018 at 12:17 PM, CWood21 said:

He might not be that bonafide ace, but he's a damn good SP.  He's averaged 3.7 WAR over the last three seasons.  He's an ace in the same light that Chris Archer, Carlos Martinez, etc. are.  You're arguing semantics here.  Let's not pretend like upgrading from Brad Peacock to Gerrit Cole doesn't help the Astros out tremendously.

And when did two years of team control become equivalent to a rental?  I'm not bagging just on you, but I've seen this come from Cardinals' fans with regards to Ozuna as well.  You get TWO full years of team control and then you have the right to offer them the QO.  You're not going to get a proven player with a ton of team control unless they're signed to a long-term deal before they hit arbitration.

My argument is that it's bad offer because it's the "extra" you're not afraid to part ways with.  Derek Fisher is a pure LF whose entire calling card is his bat because it's relatively "safe" in terms of projection.  Given the season Marwin Gonzalez had last year, he's going to be given the 1st shot to keep that spot even if he's due for regression.  You're upgrading from Martes to Cole.  As for Alvarez, I've been high on him for about a year now but he's still incredibly far away in terms of development.

I don't believe we've seen Cole's ceiling yet. I think we'll be calling him an ace this time next year. He's in position for a monster statistical year in Houston 

#Brewers continue to be “in” on RHP Jake Arrieta & also 3B Michael Moustakas with the idea that if they signed Moustakas they could trade Travis Shaw to NYY, ATL or NYM according to a club source.

don't know why the brews would sign Moustakas if they already have a 3rd basemen making min in Shaw?

Archived