17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

The regional sports networks are a pretty huge impediment to increased revenue sharing.  The big market teams aren't interested in sharing that pie.  Maybe MLB can have a sort of centralized bonus system for pre-arb players that perform that pulls money from all the league wide and streaming deals.  Similar to the performance bonus the NFL has, but probably bigger.  So if Ronald Acuna or Nick Senzel come out this year and hit .300/.400/.500 over 400+ plate appearances they can get something like a $5 million bonus.  The better the performance, the better the bonus, that way if a rookie stinks, you aren't obligated to give him extra.

52 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

So how many, if any, of the bigger free agents are going to end up signing 1 year pillow deals and try again next offseason when all the big boy teams will be spending again?

Moustakas 1/25 mil to the Braves please...........

Can hit 35/40 bombs with that short porch in right, and then head back out next year, while the Braves can maybe bridge him to Austin Riley. 

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/nick-williams-talks-phillies-free-agent-cy-young-winner-jake-arrieta

Nick Williams talks up Phillies to Arrieta

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

So how many, if any, of the bigger free agents are going to end up signing 1 year pillow deals and try again next offseason when all the big boy teams will be spending again?

I think a few take a 1 yr deal esp thinking teams will be more inclined to spend next yr.. the other day I said J. D. Martinez should do a 1 yr 20 mil deal and next yr after a team loses out on the "major fa's"...

example if the Nats lose harper next yr can sign Martinez to a 3 yr 80 mil deal or something.

Peter Gammons of MLB Network reports that the Marlins would need Ronald Acuna in a trade for Christian Yelich.

Gammons goes so far as to say that the Marlins won't even discuss a second player without Acuna being included in a trade. That's probably fair, because the Braves likely wouldn't want discussions to go on if they have to include him. As good as Yelich has been, it's tough to imagine that Atlanta would be willing to include the player that many consider the best prospect in baseball in a trade for him. Assuming Gammons is correct, you probably won't see Yelich in a Braves uniform in 2018

I think a guy like Yelich would put the Braves over the top for sure. ? for me becomes do the Braves decide to start winning now in 2018 and include Acuna or do they keep it up with the good rebuilding they're doing and become a contender post 2018 with Acuna but without Yelich. Would be interesting to follow for sure.

1 hour ago, tom cody said:

I think a guy like Yelich would put the Braves over the top for sure. ? for me becomes do the Braves decide to start winning now in 2018 and include Acuna or do they keep it up with the good rebuilding they're doing and become a contender post 2018 with Acuna but without Yelich. Would be interesting to follow for sure.

They're not trading Acuna. It's a dumb ask by the Marlins.

14 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ronald-acuna-for-christian-yelich-is-not-a-crazy-ask/

fangraphs wrote a piece up about this.. not saying there right

Yeah if you did a trade value list Yelich and Acuna are probably about the same, but that doesn't mean it's a smart ask by the Marlins. It's basically an MLB OF for MLB OF swap. The Marlins should be going after guys further away from the majors, and getting more than basically a 1-1.

4 hours ago, tom cody said:

Dont ask dumb questions that you already know the answer to

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah if you did a trade value list Yelich and Acuna are probably about the same, but that doesn't mean it's a smart ask by the Marlins. It's basically an MLB OF for MLB OF swap. The Marlins should be going after guys further away from the majors, and getting more than basically a 1-1.

Soroka, Allard, and Pache seems somewhat fair to me. 

22 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

I saw a rumour like 2-3 weeks ago we were  kicking the tires on a deal with Miami involving him (maybe on Sportsnet?) but I haven't heard anything since. 

It would be steep something like

Aaron Sanchez, Anthony Alford, Richard Urena + high ceiling lotto guy 

Archived