17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm gonna be real salty about the reaction to this trade if it goes down, because the entire story from the national media is going to be about how the Yankees had to have fleeced the Brewers because Ellsbury is terrible and now the Yankees can afford Darvish. 

And yeah, from the Yankees' side only this is a good deal. But Abreu is a potential TOR starter and the Brewers are buying him and 3 declining years of a probably average OF, for what, probably like $40M total? Granted, if we're taking on the full $68M or whatever it is that he's owed, it's a different conversation but the Brewers should be happy about this trade. Abreu would have the most upside of any pitching prospect (honestly maybe prospect period) we have and we aren't giving up any real baseball talent to get him.

My opinion on this might change if/once we know the financial details, but right now I think this is a win for both teams that will be discussed nationally as one team fleecing the other.

Is this really the case anymore though?  Like, realistically?   He's got great fastball velo but can't command it to save his life.  His secondaries have shown flashes, but there is no consistency with any of them, and he essentially wasted 2017 due to a shoulder injury.  That package could have a chance at being a TOR starter in a 19 year old, but Abreu is 22 and never been above A ball.  He appears to be the beneficiary of Yankee prospect hype to me.  

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

Is this really the case anymore though?  Like, realistically?   He's got great fastball velo but can't command it to save his life.  His secondaries have shown flashes, but there is no consistency with any of them, and he essentially wasted 2017 due to a shoulder injury.  That package could have a chance at being a TOR starter in a 19 year old, but Abreu is 22 and never been above A ball.  He appears to be the beneficiary of Yankee prospect hype to me.  

Yeah I'm an Abreu fan. With the exception of a hitch, the mechanics are easy and everything has at least flashed plus. Should definitely be more command projection than your normal 22 year old.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I'm an Abreu fan. With the exception of a hitch, the mechanics are easy and everything has at least flashed plus. Should definitely be more command projection than your normal 22 year old.

I'm much more pessimistic.  Reliever for me.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My opinion on this might change if/once we know the financial details, but right now I think this is a win for both teams that will be discussed nationally as one team fleecing the other.

Because you've got some insanely high opinion of Abreu, which is fine but irrational.  He threw 53.1 innings last year, and you're talking about him as this FOR starter based on what?  Pure upside.  He's not this elite prospect you're making him out to be.  Maybe in a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If he's a #2/3 in the AJ Burnett "great stuff but never throws enough strikes to put it together" guy, great. If that guy is for sale, I'm buying.

For sure.  But that's not really a great comp as Burnett always had that fantastic curve.  Abreu has nothing close to that curve.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Because you've got some insanely high opinion of Abreu, which is fine but irrational.  He threw 53.1 innings last year, and you're talking about him as this FOR starter based on what?  Pure upside.  He's not this elite prospect you're making him out to be.  Maybe in a couple of years.

Dude is 22.  He doesn't have a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I said he's a potential TOR starter, not like that's a guaranteed outcome. I'd have him in the top 50 of prospects, but it's not like I'd take him over Whitley or Alex Reyes or anything crazy like that.

And he does have TOR upside. He's 6'2", 190 so not great size but not automatic reliever. He's hit 100 mph and has 2 future 60 secondaries. That's TOR upside.

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Weren't there some early offseason rumblings about the Yankees being somewhat interested in Travis Shaw?  That could potentially be a really great return for the Brewers if they dealt him while also assuming Ellsbury's contract.  

Yeah there was. For both Shaw and Ellsbury's contract, I think we'd be getting to those "pick 3 guys you like and they're yours" kind of returns.

I don't see that happening, especially since the Yankees could go out and get Machado next year.

4 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

he has potential to be one.  Not sure how much his control improved last year. 

Archived