17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

10 hours ago, CAS22 said:

14 minutes ago, tom cody said:

That Astros team is good enough to repeat as World Series champs next year. Such a great team in terms of both hitting and pitching.

Mike Fiers alone started 28 games and most of those will go to Gerrit Cole.  Carlos Beltran had 467 PA and a .666 OPS.  Luke Gregerson was replaced by Joe Smith.

They pretty much got rid of their bad players and brought in new good players.  That's fun.

You guys hear what Giancarlo said last night?

That Jose told him he’d hit 60homers and win MVP in 2017 and that if things didn’t work out in Miami that he’d bring him with him to the Yankees because he wanted to sign there.

Bittersweet, Jose was already one of my favorite players, and to see him in pinstripes would have been amazing.

Although he was Miami and it would have been sad to see him leave a city that embraced him so much.

I friggin miss that dude. 

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Royals just traded away Brandon Moss and Ryan Buchter. Smells like a cap dump to me

For angling to bring back Moustakas or Hosmer? They just brought back Escobar. I wonder how Royals fans would feel about getting two of the big four back if the two are Escobar and Hosmer.

20 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

For angling to bring back Moustakas or Hosmer? They just brought back Escobar. I wonder how Royals fans would feel about getting two of the big four back if the two are Escobar and Hosmer.

We haven't been connected to Moose at all this offseason, granted either has anyone. No Royals fans actually care about Escobar being back, subpar shortstops don't excite fans. But dumping Moss frees up about 5M for us, so that's a good chunk of change to toss somewhere. We're in full on rebuild mode though so I really wouldn't be too upset if we hadn't brought any of them back and embraced the tank

On 1/29/2018 at 9:36 AM, CAS22 said:

Mike Fiers alone started 28 games and most of those will go to Gerrit Cole.  Carlos Beltran had 467 PA and a .666 OPS.  Luke Gregerson was replaced by Joe Smith.

They pretty much got rid of their bad players and brought in new good players.  That's fun.

Doesn't necessarily mean we'll be better because of possible regression, but man does it feel nice. Correa also missed 60 games and Springer missed a month, every starter but Fiers was missing for a notable amount of time. So with the potential of better health (everyone gets injured but c'mon there's definitely more room for luck on our side this year), full year of Verlander, and replacing most of the weak links on the team? Wouldn't surprise me at all to win 100+ games again despite the fear of a WS hangover. 

16 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Doesn't necessarily mean we'll be better because of possible regression, but man does it feel nice. Correa also missed 60 games and Springer missed a month, every starter but Fiers was missing for a notable amount of time. So with the potential of better health (everyone gets injured but c'mon there's definitely more room for luck on our side this year), full year of Verlander, and replacing most of the weak links on the team? Wouldn't surprise me at all to win 100+ games again despite the fear of a WS hangover. 

I would be more surprised if they didn't win 100+ games again this year. Team is ridiculously stacked. 

Anyone have a subscription "The Athletic"? Seems like every other day, a new guy announces he's leaving his newspaper or ESPN to work The Athletic. Ken Rosenthal, Jim Bowden, Marc Carig, a guy I followed on the Mets just left for the site. They got pages for all the other major sports too. Curious if it's worth it. I've been good staying away from ESPN Insider, but it seems like this site is taking away a lot of the guys I follow.

https://theathletic.com/

Archived