17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, tom cody said:

I heard about that with the Cubs and Darvish as well. Would be a decent signing. Darvish is still a good pitcher and will bolster that staff quite a bit IMO.

He's an improvement over Arrieta moving forward IMO...

I really hope they give him a 5 year deal though...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He's an improvement over Arrieta moving forward IMO...

I really hope they give him a 5 year deal though...

That's all but guaranteed for the team that signs him, and would be a nice deal (pending AAV obviously) for any team that can get him for only 5.  In previous years, Yu Darvish gets 6, maybe 7 years.

Am I nuts or weirdly high on Yu Darvish? 5/$125M isn't bad for him at all. That's not too different from the deal Strasburg got since he got 7/$175M but was 29, whereas Darvish is 31. All things being equal, it's less risky to go with the 5 year deal on the older player, so you'd say Darvish is slightly safer and Strasbirg is slightly better. Close enough.

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Am I nuts or weirdly high on Yu Darvish? 5/$125M isn't bad for him at all. That's not too different from the deal Strasburg got since he got 7/$175M but was 29, whereas Darvish is 31. All things being equal, it's less risky to go with the 5 year deal on the older player, so you'd say Darvish is slightly safer and Strasbirg is slightly better. Close enough.

That's kind of the benchmark for me as well.  

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

That's all but guaranteed for the team that signs him, and would be a nice deal (pending AAV obviously) for any team that can get him for only 5.  In previous years, Yu Darvish gets 6, maybe 7 years.

It's definitely not a bad deal at 5 years, but it's JMO that he's going to be one of those guys that's really good for 2-3 years and then fall off a cliff. 

I would just hate to see you guys somehow land him on 3-4 year deal...

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

It only takes one team to blink.  I'd anticipate that someone will cough and give up a 6th year.

32 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It's definitely not a bad deal at 5 years, but it's JMO that he's going to be one of those guys that's really good for 2-3 years and then fall off a cliff. 

I would just hate to see you guys somehow land him on 3-4 year deal...

Really unlikely.  We've already seen confirmation that he's received at least one 5 year deal.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It only takes one team to blink.  I'd anticipate that someone will cough and give up a 6th year.

I would agree, even if it's just an option year based on innings pitched or something.  

Archived