Eagles extend Dallas Goedert through 2025

AZ_Eaglesfan

47 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I'd say health is the biggest question with him. As well as having a qb who isn't broken Wentz or questionable passer in Hurts as well as an offense that doesn't run it 70% of the game. I've always held the belief that he pops a lot more than Ertz (even when Ertz was still in his prime) and his ceiling is higher. But injuries and the other things I listed have held him back. He's a good blocker and a really good athlete and route runner with YAC ability. I've seen enough of him (close to every snap of his career) to be confident that this is a good deal for both sides. I'm happy he's our long term TE.

Health is the most underrated trait/factor in player evaluation imo. Talent means nothing if they aren't able to stay on the field. Which makes this deal even more questionable.

But for the Eagles sake I hope it works out and he becomes everything they hope he is.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think it's more than him... but what do I know, I've only been watching football for... 30 years? 35 years? Give or take?

Yeah, I'm sure the problem is us on this one...

Yeah ET, I'm old as dirt too. Have witness way to much football over the years too. But let's be real for a moment. You don't follow the moments of every single player on every single team, No one does in this Forum.  You've probably come to your opinion based on whatever Eagles games you've seen be Televised, Box score jumping, Fantasy owner playing or Sports Center highlight watching. Like 99% of all fans out there including myself. We follow in depth "Our Teams", not the inner working of all 31 others.

So yes based on his Production to this point in his career which was as a #2 TE in a offense where at best he was the 4th option for the vast majority of his caree. Of course this contract seems rediculously over paid, it is. I and most Eagles fans would agree. However that's not his role moving forward post Zach Ertz trade, he's now the Clear Cut #2 behind DeVonta Smith at worst.

Most contracts are written for what FO hope future production and said player might become. Yes its to rewards those already top of their game but also  for those who might make the jump once placed into a role that once made Zach Ertz a Top 3 TE in this league.

Suggesting or agreeing that Dallas Goedert has shown you absolutely nothing that would warrant him being taken in the 7th rd of say this year's up coming draft is a joke at best or shortsighted analysis because of limited interaction with said player outside what's already listed above. That's all.

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Same. I haven't seen anything that makes be believe that he isn't someone you couldn't draft in any round of any draft. But maybe that's just me.

DG has all the tools to be mentioned in the same breath with the Wallers,  Kittles and Kelce's for the years to come. Whether he stays healthy and actually takes advantage of this opportunity / #1 TE role or has a QB worthy of feeding the beast is what really remains to be seen tbh, not his overall skillset.

Edited by Nabbs4u

14 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A few notable quotes and opinions from this obvious biased article.

Well that's inspiring. Hurts is clearly on the uprise.

So the FO basically said Goedert is better than Zach Ertz?! Sorry but I'm not buying it. I haven't watched every Philly game and Ertz may not be the all-world TE that the media made him out to be at one point but even still I would take Ertz over Goedert any day of the week based on what I have seen. 

Holy crap! 29 receptions, 439 yards, and 2 TDs in only 10 games. That's unheard of?! (the article doesn't even mention his TDs and only says 9 games while using 10 game stats ---those were just added by me for better clarity)

And Goedert has an opportunity to surpass his career high? He has been in the league for 4 years now and his best season is 58 catches on 87 targets, 607 yards, and 5Tds. TEs dont take 4 years to develop. If he had the amount of potential the FO thinks he has and was better than Ertz than everyone would've seen it by now. But we don't. 

Never ceases to amaze me how bad some of the takes on this forum are. You wanted the Eagles to give 31+ year old Zach Ertz that contract? Goedert a counting stats are not there because he was the second tight end. It's clear that people just do box score scouting and have never seen Goedert play. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yeah ET, I'm old as dirt too. Have witness way to much football over the years too. But let's be real for a moment. You don't follow the moments of every single player on every single team, No one does in this Forum.  You've probably come to your opinion based on whatever Eagles games you've seen be Televised, Box score jumping, Fantasy owner playing or Sports Center highlight watching. Like 99% of all fans out there including myself. We follow in depth "Our Teams", not the inner working of all 31 others.

I mean, I sort of admitted to this - I opened by saying I haven't seen it out of him.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Most contracts are written for what FO hope future production and said player might become. Yes its to rewards those already top of their game but also  for those who might make the jump once placed into a role that once made Zach Ertz a Top 3 TE in this league.

I can agree to this, but to pay him in line with what the top tier guys are making already? That seems a bit dangerous - the bar is set pretty high when you're making Kelce money, now he's going to have to produce like those guys or he's going to be overpaid...

7 hours ago, Jeezla said:

It kind of is. You are only looking at the receiving aspect of his job, and even then you seem to be only box score scouting. Half his job is blocking, and he's one of the best at it.

Yes, because we know blocking TEs always get paid...

Since Ertz got traded, Goedert was averaging about 62 yards per game, which would be 986 yards over 16 games

Oh, so over... *checks calendar* four weeks? Yeah, that's totally sustainable to the point to where you pay a guy top 5 at his position.

I'm sure you're a really good scout though. 

Well, I know to not pay a guy before he does anything. That seems like a concept that's pretty transferrable across industries...

Ertz 2020: 11 games, 11 starts, 72 targets (2nd), 56% snaps.

Goedert 2020: 11 games, 9 starts, 65 targets (4th), 53% of snaps. 

Ertz 2019: 15 games, 15 starts, 135 targets (1st), 80% of snaps.

Goedert 2019: 15 games, 9 starts, 87 targets, 66% of snaps. 

Goedert’s largely been the #2 TE but painting him as a typical #2 or 4th receiving. He’s seen more time on the field (53% in only 11 games and 66% in 15 games) and gotten more targets (65 in 11 games, 87 in 15) than your run of the mill guy. There were #1s that didn’t even see 87 targets.

EDIT: Not commenting on his ability. Just doesn’t seem specific to label him as a #2 TE and leave it at that, when two seasons ago he was on the field for 2/3s of the snaps and was 2nd on the team in targets. And last season in the same number of games, was only on the field for 3% less snaps and saw only 7 less targets than the #1.

Edited by Yin-Yang

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

So you don't believe in draft picks? Rookies sign their contracts before they do anything.

Oh, playing the obtuse card? Ha, fine by me...

Rookies are also governed by a rookie cap - you're not going to overpay a rookie (by paying them top 5 at their position) so the risk is mitigated.

This? All the risk is assumed by Philly. At this price, you'll need more than 62 yards over a four game stretch...

Make sense? 

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Oh, playing the obtuse card? Ha, fine by me...

Rookies are also governed by a rookie cap - you're not going to overpay a rookie (by paying them top 5 at their position) so the risk is mitigated.

This? All the risk is assumed by Philly. At this price, you'll need more than 62 yards over a four game stretch...

Make sense? 

that's not true. I don't know what Zach WIlson is making this year, but it's too much.

At that price what we need is a good TE, and we got one.