Eagles extend Dallas Goedert through 2025

AZ_Eaglesfan

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

For real though - Weve have never played you once and I thought "What about Goedart"?..... Like, never ever even a thought to be afraid of him. 

Meh. If you watched him play you would understand what we are saying. Our QB play the past two years has been really poor and Goedert's numbers have suffered because of it. He is  consistently playing well and just not getting the ball at the rate he should because our QB is extremely one dimensional and processes defenses slowly. It's hard to be "afraid" of a player who is just overlooked constantly because your QB is bailing out of free pockets or just completely missing on throws. He simply isn't being given the chance to put up numbers. the most targets he has had in a game this season was 7... he caught 6 and averaged over 10 yards a catch. Through week 10 he is averaging 4.3 targets a game which is 22nd in the NFL for TE's. He just isn't getting enough chances to put up bulk numbers and it isn't his fault

Regardless of what you think, he was getting paid massive money this offseason no matter what. If it is gunna be from us or another team, I'd rather it be us.

• Like 3

Regardless of the reason for his production, this definitely does feel like paying a guy for the difference you hope he will make, rather than the impact he has already had thus far. Maybe he's more productive with a better QB than Wentz or Hurts, but that's not really going to magically appear either. Normally TEs do quite well with bad QBs for the whole safety valve reason. Just doesn't help the TD numbers, usually. I like Goedert, and think he can become a great TE, but I do prefer not paying guys great player money before they've established that.

19 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Regardless of the reason for his production, this definitely does feel like paying a guy for the difference you hope he will make, rather than the impact he has already had thus far. Maybe he's more productive with a better QB than Wentz or Hurts, but that's not really going to magically appear either. Normally TEs do quite well with bad QBs for the whole safety valve reason. Just doesn't help the TD numbers, usually. I like Goedert, and think he can become a great TE, but I do prefer not paying guys great player money before they've established that.

Sure. He hasn't put up the numbers to justify the contract. I agree with that, but regardless Goedert was getting this money or more in the offseason. The NFL views him as an elite level player as do most analytics(which the Eagles love).

Also, other TE's are going to get paid and this contract won't looks so massive. Henry and Smith got two top 5 contracts in one offseason. Other guys are going to get paid soon.

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

For real though - Weve have never played you once and I thought "What about Goedart"?..... Like, never ever even a thought to be afraid of him. 

Well, he's been our TE2 so it would be pretty weird if that was who you were worried about. Only thing I question about Goedert is health.

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You never worried about gronk and/or hernandez? Which ever you consider 1 and 2. 

While those are two tight ends that were on the same team that's where the similarities end. Goedert and Ertz were not used the same as Gronk and Hernandez. Goedert hasn't had Tom Brady as his QB. If this signing doesn't work out it's because of injury.