Eagles extend Dallas Goedert through 2025

AZ_Eaglesfan

23 hours ago, Re-Drew-Vinated said:

Same with LV and Waller

Nahhh, Raiders are ......!🍺

Exactly why Goedert was signed now before Waller, Gesiki, ect got their's. This is a classic Howie move trying to get a player under contract before the market blows up.

Howie's had his fair shares of great early signings below market value years into the contract but way above based on production when originally signed. Also numerous clusters flops like Alshon, Desean 2.0 and Wentz.

The potential for Top end TE production is there. Whether he stays healthy and or Hurts grows as a Competent QB remains to be seen. Goedert has the ability to be to Hurts what Jason Witten was for Dak to begin his career.

Howies playing the Ying and Yang game. Has a WR/TE combo but paying the TE the top end money because his #1 WR is on a Rookie deal the next 5 years. Not to mention his QB for a few more seasons as well. Guess we'll see?

PS: The $35.7M guaranteed like every contract is the only number that truly matters. He sees the full contract total ($59M) Eagles FO and fans are probably ecstatic by the end of it. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Nahhh, Raiders are ......!🍺

Exactly why Goedert was signed now before Waller, Gesiki, ect got their's. This is a classic Howie move trying to get a player under contract before the market blows up.

Howie's had his fair shares of great early signings below market value years into the contract but way above based on production when originally signed. Also numerous clusters flops like Alshon, Desean 2.0 and Wentz.

The potential for Top end TE production is there. Whether he stays healthy and or Hurts grows as a Competent QB remains to be seen. Goedert has the ability to be to Hurts what Jason Witten was for Dak to begin his career.

Howies playing the Ying and Yang game. Has a WR/TE combo but paying the TE the top end money because his #1 WR is on a Rookie deal the next 5 years. Not to mention his QB for a few more seasons as well. Guess we'll see?

PS: The $35.7M guaranteed like every contract is the only number that truly matters. He sees the full contract total ($59M) Eagles FO and fans are probably ecstatic by the end of it. 

This is accurate. The guaranteed money is all that matters. Goedert was playing behind Zach Ertz, who happened to be really good and took away from the amount of looks Goedert got during his first few years in Philadelphia. Hence, the lack of targets one would normally associate with being the no. 1 tight end. Again, you pay players for what they bring to the table now and in the future. That's why resigning Ertz to a similar contract would have been a mistake. 

16 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

A few notable quotes and opinions from this obvious biased article.

Goedert now receives an opportunity to grow alongside starting quarterback Jalen Hurts,

Well that's inspiring. Hurts is clearly on the uprise.

The Eagles all but committed to Goedert long-term when they traded away their face-of-the-franchise in fellow tight end Zach Ertz to the Arizona Cardinals in mid-October.

So the FO basically said Goedert is better than Zach Ertz?! Sorry but I'm not buying it. I haven't watched every Philly game and Ertz may not be the all-world TE that the media made him out to be at one point but even still I would take Ertz over Goedert any day of the week based on what I have seen. 

Goedert has been in rather fine form throughout the 2021 campaign. The former South Dakota State Jackrabbit has recorded 29 receptions and 429 receiving yards in nine appearances and should have every opportunity to surpass his previous career-highs in every receiving metric.

Holy crap! 29 receptions, 439 yards, and 2 TDs in only 10 games. That's unheard of?! (the article doesn't even mention his TDs and only says 9 games while using 10 game stats ---those were just added by me for better clarity)

And Goedert has an opportunity to surpass his career high? He has been in the league for 4 years now and his best season is 58 catches on 87 targets, 607 yards, and 5Tds. TEs dont take 4 years to develop. If he had the amount of potential the FO thinks he has and was better than Ertz than everyone would've seen it by now. But we don't. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:
3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Same. I haven't seen anything that makes be believe that he isn't someone you couldn't draft in any round of any draft. But maybe that's just me.

It is.

Its the opposite really. Only you Eagles fans think he walks on water.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:
5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Same. I haven't seen anything that makes be believe that he isn't someone you couldn't draft in any round of any draft. But maybe that's just me.

It is.

I think it's more than him... but what do I know, I've only been watching football for... 30 years? 35 years? Give or take?

Yeah, I'm sure the problem is us on this one...

• Like 1

There are definitely still Goedert truthers out there. I’m one of them. I just look his tools and he has shown ability. But yeah…you can’t justify his salary right now. But I do think he will be a top 5 TE soon…I’ve always thought it. You sign a contract for what the player will give you over the course of their contract, not for what they have already done for you. I would have hoped to sign him to a top 5-10 contract to get some sort of value considering he hasn’t arrived yet. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think it's more than him... but what do I know, I've only been watching football for... 30 years? 35 years? Give or take?

Yeah, I'm sure the problem is us on this one...

It kind of is. You are only looking at the receiving aspect of his job, and even then you seem to be only box score scouting. Half his job is blocking, and he's one of the best at it. Since Ertz got traded, Goedert was averaging about 62 yards per game, which would be 986 yards over 16 games. With a QB that's not exactly known for passing. I'm sure you're a really good scout though. 

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A few notable quotes and opinions from this obvious biased article.

Well that's inspiring. Hurts is clearly on the uprise.

So the FO basically said Goedert is better than Zach Ertz?! Sorry but I'm not buying it. I haven't watched every Philly game and Ertz may not be the all-world TE that the media made him out to be at one point but even still I would take Ertz over Goedert any day of the week based on what I have seen. 

Holy crap! 29 receptions, 439 yards, and 2 TDs in only 10 games. That's unheard of?! (the article doesn't even mention his TDs and only says 9 games while using 10 game stats ---those were just added by me for better clarity)

And Goedert has an opportunity to surpass his career high? He has been in the league for 4 years now and his best season is 58 catches on 87 targets, 607 yards, and 5Tds. TEs dont take 4 years to develop. If he had the amount of potential the FO thinks he has and was better than Ertz than everyone would've seen it by now. But we don't. 

I'd say health is the biggest question with him. As well as having a qb who isn't broken Wentz or questionable passer in Hurts as well as an offense that doesn't run it 70% of the game. I've always held the belief that he pops a lot more than Ertz (even when Ertz was still in his prime) and his ceiling is higher. But injuries and the other things I listed have held him back. He's a good blocker and a really good athlete and route runner with YAC ability. I've seen enough of him (close to every snap of his career) to be confident that this is a good deal for both sides. I'm happy he's our long term TE.