Eagles Acquire Jay Ajayi for 4th Round Pick

WeaponX

9 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Honestly, that's essentially how I feel as well.  Howie has done a great job for the most part this off-season, but the running back position got bungled.  With the Pumphrey pick and now trading for Ajayi is a sign to me, that they don't believe in Blount.  I hated the Blount signing since the beginning because he's incredibly one-dimensional, which for a Doug Pederson / Andy Reid type offense is a poor fit.  Ajayi is probably better suited than Blount, so I can see why they wanted to make the trade, but if the blocking in front isn't consistent, I'm not sure he'll be anymore successful.  

He's been playing behind a bottom 5 OL this season (Ajayi).

Also why do you hate the Blount signing? We're paying him nothing and he's been a big reason we have the 5th ranked rush offense.

Pumphrey was a clear swing and miss. It happens. I think it's a good sign that Howie and Douglas are willing to trade for Ajayi literally after just drafting Pumphrey with the same pick. It shows that Howie is capable of admitting when he made a mistake and fixing it. Some guys would be too stubborn to make this trade.

Also, FWIW, Ajayi has been very solid in pass protection. 

3 minutes ago, furti said:

I am a bit unsure. First when I heard Forte may be one of the targets, i was like, ok, I would love his receiving ability. Then I thought, ok, age and his salary make him a less than ideal target. I was like, ok, we do not need a running back that much, but I would love to have Carlos Hyde. Rookie contract, good receiving ability. Now I see Ajayi for a fourth rounder and my immediate reaction is more positive than negative, but I am still not sure who is going to play on third down? Who is catching the not that frequently called rb screens? And what do we do with the rest of the guys?

And what's next year? I guess Blount is gone and Jay is the featured with Pump as the third down back.

We Also have Clement and Smallwood.

If Ajayi works out, I think those 3 alone would be a very good group of RBs.

Just now, BAConrad said:

He's been playing behind a bottom 5 OL this season (Ajayi).

Also why do you hate the Blount signing? We're paying him nothing and he's been a big reason we have the 5th ranked rush offense.

Pumphrey was a clear swing and miss. It happens. I think it's a good sign that Howie and Douglas are willing to trade for Ajayi literally after just drafting Pumphrey with the same pick. It shows that Howie is capable of admitting when he made a mistake and fixing it. Some guys would be too stubborn to make this trade.

Also, FWIW, Ajayi has been very solid in pass protection. 

Yeah, maybe, but people have already cited that his production is very lopsided behind a couple of games from last season as well.

Hate is probably a strong word, but I was definitely opposed to signing him before the season, and I still think they could get similar if not better production out of a lot of other backs given his opportunities. More importantly, I think he just significantly narrows down the options when he is in the game;  he's not a passing threat and this offense could really benefit from a RB that offers that.  He has been productive in half his games and hasn't been anywhere close to the goal line back that we thought we were getting. He's consistently way too soft for his size and easily the worst pass blocker on the team... that also can't catch.

2 hours ago, yellow_jeep said:

Eagles VP of Football Operations Howie Roseman said LeGarrette Blount remains the team's starting running back, even after acquiring Jay Ajayi from the Dolphins on Tuesday.  <<< We will see about that

I hope Howie is regurgitating what the coaching staff said or will say and not trying to have his hands in how the ingredients are mixed. Too many chefs 

Gotta love Eagles fans lol stop worrying about next year. This is about THIS year. We're not gonna have many years where we're sitting at 7-1, 3-0 in the division, with Rodgers out for the year and Zeke suspended for six games.

If Ajayi helps us in the next few months and does nothing ever again, so be it. If we win it all I don't care if we go 0-16 in 2018. 

There is a window so large for us this year you could drive a U-Haul through it. Buckle up.

29 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So ......In the 2018 Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select:

2nd Rd QB Carson Wentz

3rd Rd CB Ronald Darby

4th Rd RB Jay Ajayi

Thats a good way of looking at it, for the 3rd and 4th though I like to think hey, if Darby was on the board in the 3rd would you take him? YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Archived