Did you know there was a game on?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know there was a game on?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but I don't care
    • No, and I still don't care.

9 minutes ago, kramxel said:

FWIW I think the situation was resolved in the right way, with the penalty in game and the no fine by the league.

To be fair though that’s an ejection worthy foul.  Fine or no fine can’t have guys going that far.   I mean otherwise you’ll end up with outright brawls if the refs can’t keep that out of the game.  The fine has no deterrent value to a player as well off as Hayward.     

Edited by Broncofan

I’m not convinced that our defense is so bad personnel wise that they should be giving up 27 points in the fourth quarter to the Steelers of all teams. 

I think Staley has his positives so far but I sure as hell expected more from a guy who was hyped up as a defensive genius. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I’m not convinced that our defense is so bad personnel wise that they should be giving up 27 points in the fourth quarter to the Steelers of all teams. 

I think Staley has his positives so far but I sure as hell expected more from a guy who was hyped up as a defensive genius. 

I'm on the other end. Yes this defense has a couple of superstars and a couple of good young players, but most wouldn't even be starting on similarly leveled teams. 

I think it's pretty clear he has been improving this defense, and most of these players are playing at their peak... Problem is a lot of them aren't actually that good. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair though that’s an ejection worthy foul.  Fine or no fine can’t have guys going that far.   I mean otherwise you’ll end up with outright brawls if the refs can’t keep that out of the game.  The fine has no deterrent value to a player as well off as Hayward.     

I think it was close to an ejection, because it was late and clearly after the play, and Herbert was undefended. 

Seemed more like a reaction than propper malice, though. And I really hate seeing players getting thrown out of games for some heated exchanges, that don't go too far. 

I know it's a thin line. And like I said, it was close. But I'm fine with this. 

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

I think it was close to an ejection, because it was late and clearly after the play, and Herbert was undefended. 

Seemed more like a reaction than propper malice, though. And I really hate seeing players getting thrown out of games for some heated exchanges, that don't go too far. 

I know it's a thin line. And like I said, it was close. But I'm fine with this. 

Only reason why I say clear ejection is he was clearly mad at the OL guy - so then he goes and punches Herbert.    That’s a higher level of d*ck move.   I do hear you on heat of the moment. Just that’s a different level of aggression to take it out on another guy than the one you’re mad at. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kramxel said:

I'm on the other end. Yes this defense has a couple of superstars and a couple of good young players, but most wouldn't even be starting on similarly leveled teams. 

I think it's pretty clear he has been improving this defense, and most of these players are playing at their peak... Problem is a lot of them aren't actually that good. 

Eh. I don’t think this defense is notably better than Gus Bradley’s defense last year. 

And if your point is correct that raises another question… why does Tolesco still have a job? 

31 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

14 points were given up because a blocked punt put the ball at the Chargers 3 and an interception returned to the Chargers 11. I think the D did as well as it could have given the circumstances. I think this is a good breakdown.

https://theathletic.com/2970959/2021/11/22/we-were-ready-for-it-with-another-4th-quarter-comeback-chargers-top-steelers/

The 37 points allowed don’t tell the whole story for the defense

If you only look at the scoreboard, you will come away with the conclusion that the Chargers played a poor game defensively. But that is not the case.

The sudden-change situations had a huge impact on the Steelers’ point total. Two of the Steelers’ fourth-quarter possessions started inside the Chargers’ 35-yard line, including two inside the 12. The defense was forced into very difficult circumstances late in the game. They came through by forcing the field goal on the third of those sudden-change situations, after the Chargers’ failed fourth-down attempt.

Overall, this defense was prepared to play. Staley did an excellent coaching job. The Chargers had a goal-line stand on the Steelers’ second possession of the game. On fourth down, Pittsburgh ran an inside shovel pass to Freiermuth — a play straight out of Andy Reid’s playbook. The Chargers were not fooled. James read the play and made the stop.

After the blocked punt, the Steelers again tried to fool the Chargers with misdirection. They ran an end around to Claypool out of a bunch formation on second-and-goal from the 3-yard line. Adderley read the play and stuffed Claypool for a loss. Two plays later, on a fourth-and-goal from the 5-yard line, the Chargers had the Steelers covered. Campbell made contact with Claypool early on a slant route, but that was unnecessary. Linebacker Kyzir White was waiting in the middle of the field and would have broken up the pass if Campbell did not commit the pass interference.

Just ask Mike Tomlin. “We didn’t have a good enough plan tonight with our current makeup and state,” the Steelers coach said.

Staley and his staff went up against one of the best head coaches in the NFL and won the X’s and O’s battle.

The Chargers were dealing with missing pieces, too. They had three undrafted defensive linemen — Gaziano, Breiden Fehoko and Forrest Merrill — playing significant snaps in the game, with Linval Joseph (shoulder), Jerry Tillery (COVID-19) and Christian Covington(COVID-19) out. That group showed up in a huge way. The Steelers totaled just 55 yards on the ground on 18 carries.

“We really felt them up front,” James said.

And the Chargers defense played perhaps their most dominant possession of the season on the Steelers’ final drive of the game.

“We were ready for their plan tonight,” Staley said. “That’s exactly how we played. We knew that the shovel pass was coming. We knew the jet sweeps were coming. On the fourth-and-5, we knew that was coming, too. … We were ready for these guys tonight, and that’s what I saw tonight. I saw a team that was ready to play.

Just now, Bolts223 said:

Eh. I don’t think this defense is notably better than Gus Bradley’s defense last year. 

And if your point is correct that raises another question… why does Tolesco still have a job? 

Telesco unfortunately has a job because he drafted Herbert and doesn’t cause drama like AJ Smith did. Half of a GM’s job is administrative and being able to work with others. I think someone else should be involved in player evaluation because he’s been more hit than miss.

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

Keep in mind short field...

Blocked punt, helmet int and failed 4th down. No surprise once Asante left and Campbell came in, Pit had alot more success.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Only reason why I say clear ejection is he was clearly mad at the OL guy - so then he goes and punches Herbert.    That’s a higher level of d*ck move.   I do hear you on heat of the moment. Just that’s a different level of aggression to take it out on another guy than the one you’re mad at. 

Last 2 Steelers games on primetime for the world to see:

Bears game officiating debacle

Non-ejection for Heyward 

👀👀👀

23 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Keep in mind short field...

Blocked punt, helmet int and failed 4th down. No surprise once Asante left and Campbell came in, Pit had alot more success.

I feel so bad for Asante. You almost have to shut him down for the season for his own good.