Thanksgiving GDT - Curtains for Nagy?

CBears019

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

One thing I’ll never understand - if sitting  Fields was the plan, why wasn’t Foles prepped as QB2?

Either Fields was ready to play or not. Dalton’s injury didn’t change that.

100% agree. It just shows "he isn't ready right now" is cliche garbage. If he truly wasn't ready to play, he should've been inactive every week similarly to what Green Bay did with Love last season. 

47 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

100% agree. It just shows "he isn't ready right now" is cliche garbage. If he truly wasn't ready to play, he should've been inactive every week similarly to what Green Bay did with Love last season. 

How can a rookie QB be ready when you aren't giving him reps?

Peyton Manning demands 99% of offseason practice reps in year 10.

To add insult to injury you basically made up new offenses when he went in. 

Preparing a football team is like building a house or putting on a play.   You build it in offseason.   If you try to do it in season on fly, you are in trouble.  Sometimes you have to by circumstance, but that is not the way to do it as a plan.

This was 100% foreseeable by injury or fan outrage that Fields would play.   They should have either totally committed to the redshirt year or put everything into him starting from day 1 after draft (my preference).  

Third way is he is 3rd team and you give him 1 scripted series a game that he gets to practice during week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

One thing I’ll never understand - if sitting  Fields was the plan, why wasn’t Foles prepped as QB2?

Either Fields was ready to play or not. Dalton’s injury didn’t change that.

For the same reason Shanny left Lance as QB2. To use him on few designed plays here and there and slowly work him into the offense just like Nagy was doing with Fields in week one.  But there was no going back after Dalton got injured.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I hope I dont need to explain the difference between not being ready and not being good enough.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I hope I dont need to explain the difference between not being ready and not being good enough.

Was Fields ready to play? No

Has he been good enough? No (you said the same during the Ravens game when you said Dalton is better right now)

I'm a big fan of his and I thought he should've gotten every snap all preseason long (maybe the answers to the above 2 questions would be "yes" if he did) but aside from the Steelers game and some of the DET and SF games, he's been underwhelming

Edited by beardown3231

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Has he been good enough? No (you said the same during the Ravens game when you said Dalton is better right now)

I'm a big fan of his and I thought he should've gotten every snap all preseason long (maybe the answers to the above 2 questions would be "yes" if he did) but aside from the Steelers game and some of the DET and SF games, he's been underwhelming

I wouldn't say I have been underwhelmed by Fields...I think he has been dealt a terrible hand with the current coaching staff and what they are asking him and the rest of the team to do...just the fall off from Allen Robinson is enough to show how bad this offence has been this year...I think if we can get him a proper offensive mind he is going to be really good in year 2.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Not sure what this have to do with the part of your post I was responding to again? You said Fields should've been benched like Love if he wasn't ready, which is a ridiculous comparison. Love got sent to the practice squad because he wasn't even good enough to beat out Tim Boyle for the #2 spot, not because he wasn't ready. Again there's a big difference between the two.

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

687474703a2f2f7468656f6e6c79626c6f67776f

For the same reason Shanny left Lance as QB2. To use him on few designed plays here and there and slowly work him into the offense just like Nagy was doing with Fields in week one.  But there was no going back after Dalton got injured.

If that's the case, you bring Foles in to replace Dalton and continue with your original plan for Fields.

If the reason Fields sat was because he wasn't ready, then Dalton's injury changed nothing about that.

Just now, abstract_thought said:

If that's the case, you bring Foles in to replace Dalton and continue with your original plan for Fields.

If the reason Fields sat was because he wasn't ready, then Dalton's injury changed nothing about that.

Yeah....that was never gonna happen for two reasons. One, Nagy already saw that Foles wasn't good enough to run his offense (which is why Dalton is here in teh first place). Two, there was no absolutely way he could that and escape the huge backlash. That's PR 101.

Not sure what this have to do with the part of your post I was responding to again? You said Fields should've been benched like Love if he wasn't ready, which is a ridiculous comparison. Love got sent to the practice squad because he wasn't even good enough to beat out Tim Boyle for the #2 spot, not because he wasn't ready. Again there's a big difference between the two.

687474703a2f2f7468656f6e6c79626c6f67776f

What are you confused about? You said there's a difference between not being ready to play and not being good enough to play. I started with acknowledging that it doesn't appear he's ready to play. 

I'm not sure that's why Love was inactive. I believe they did it that way so he would sit and learn without question. You might be better than Tim Boyle

I didn't know that was sarcasm. You were beating the "play Dalton" drum pretty hard all offseason

Edited by beardown3231

Yeah....that was never gonna happen for two reasons. One, Nagy already saw that Foles wasn't good enough to run his offense (which is why Dalton is here in teh first place). Two, there was no absolutely way he could that and escape the huge backlash. That's PR 101.

Which means keeping Fields on the bench had nothing to do with his development plan.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

One thing Nagy was right about was that we started Fields way too early this year. Dalton going down with an injury only hurt Fields development.

I believe what hurt Fields development was the charade Nagy and Pace played all summer long in not giving him reps with the 1st team players and not beginning to design an offense around him long before camp ever began.

With a mandate to show offensive progress and win some playoff games Nagy saw starting Dalton as having his best shot at delivering and it's easy to see in hindsight just how wrong he was about that.

In Justin Fields he once again had an opportunity to present an offense that was the same kind of unknown quantity his 2018 offense was.  Andy Dalton was anything but an unknown quantity and Andy Dalton playing Matt Nagy's offense under Matt Nagy's play calling was even more predictable.  Even with as little as he got this summer Lazor said Fields was ready to start.

Now, imagine how much farther along he might be now had Nagy given him more time and attention this past summer.

Edited by soulman