What's Mac Jones' ceiling?

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I’d take that…

pay him like one too, let Bill coach up a D and ST to how he usually does. Should profit.

Yep all Bill ever needs is a smart game manager that doesn’t turn the ball over. Just keeps things chugging. Patriots could be a threat again for a while, but mostly cause the AFC sucks right now. 

• Like 2

I don't think we're really going to find out what his ceiling is until he's on his second contract. For as long as he's on his rookie deal, the Pats will be able to spend as they did this past offseason and surround him with supporting talent. When it's his time to get paid, that money is going to get a lot tighter, and the team will have to lean on him a lot more to win games, and that's when we'll see what the absolute limits of his powers are. 

But for the next 4 years? 

Excited Lets Go GIF

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Apparition said:

I don't think we're really going to find out what his ceiling is until he's on his second contract. For as long as he's on his rookie deal, the Pats will be able to spend as they did this past offseason and surround him with supporting talent. When it's his time to get paid, that money is going to get a lot tighter, and the team will have to lean on him a lot more to win games, and that's when we'll see what the absolute limits of his powers are. 

But for the next 4 years? 

Excited Lets Go GIF

Very good point.  

Will be interesting to see what NE adds to the roster. 

Very possible for Mac to increase his arm strength over the next few years.  

I compared him to Matt Ryan in the pre-draft process. But his true Ceiling is Tom Brady. I think his likely is Matt Ryan (top 25 QB all time who people underrate despite him putting up #s because he doesn't win the big one), unless he gets a Super Bowl win, then people will consider him in the same tier as Brees or Brady (both non-mobile guys who made their living off anticipation, great football IQ and exceptional accuracy. Brady, Brees and Ryan all win the same way. But different levels of team success have made Brady seem better than Brees who seems better than Ryan when they all are basically the same talent level.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, biggie. said:

If Belichick "didn't trust Mac", why would he cut Cam and start Mac day one, something Belichick almost NEVER does with rookies?

If Belichick doesn't trust you, he'll either keep you on the bench or get rid of you entirely.

Belichick has been conservative with Mac because he's a rookie that is inevitably going to be compared to the greatest player in the history of this sport. That is a LOT of pressure to put on someone who's only 23.

It's obvious he didn't trust him in those weather conditions, which is fine- he's a young QB playing against a great secondary in a freaking hurricane. 

I was at the game. The weather was pure INSANITY. Felt like an apocalypse as we were driving to the stadium (big *** signs fallen over on the sidewalks, trees blowing across the street, etc..). Then we stepped outside for the first time, and I felt like I was just body checked for the first time in 15 years. The freaking porta potties in the parking lot were tipped over! I don't mean a random one on an island in a wide open parking lot.  I'm mean stacks of them,  lined up 7-8 deep right next to each other, with fencing and trees providing some shelter, and still 4-5 of them were on the ground shaking like they were having seizures or something.

The Pats offense was shutdown in the 2nd half. A few play actions would've been keen at that point,  but BB knew it was too risky in that type of climate against Buffalo's secondary. He also knew it was going to be very difficult for Buffalo to acore points in that climate. 

BB is the GOAT and Mac's on a trajectory to becoming a really good QB. Smart coaching from BB to shelter his young QB. Mac is in great hands. 

Edited by WizeGuy