2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I LOOOOOOVE the idea of them drafting Tyler Smith and making him a LG. I think he would murder people in that role. That’s probably dead if Bates’ deal goes through, but I could see a similar move with a later round pick for sure. Rasheed Walker or Cade Mays are both guys I like that fit that bill that are probably around in that round 4-5 range. 

I love Smith but he's someone with so much potential, position flexibility & tenacity that I can't see him falling to 39. I hope I'm wrong but he's a stud

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Because smart GMs know that college and HS coaches almost always put their best OL at T and C and the left overs at G when choosing their best 5.

People get caught up in height and arm measurements and say this guy is a G or T based on that.

The bottom line is the better athletes and overall football player pool is at T and C for above reason.

The exceptions typically come when there is already a returning starter stud OT in place or in addition to and another stud gets put at G because the OT spot is filled.

Heck Jason Peters with a full offseason would likely be one of best Gs in league if you aren't asking him to pull around to outside. 

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I love Smith but he's someone with so much potential, position flexibility & tenacity that I can't see him falling to 39. I hope I'm wrong but he's a stud

Agreed. I think someone gives him a shot at OT first too. Wouldn’t hate if it was us putting him opposite Jenkins with Borom at swing, but like you said, him falling to 39 is seeming more and more unlikely. 

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I wasn't watching carefully late in season. 

By a lot of accounts Borom held up pretty well, no?

Is there a game in 2nd half of season where he got whooped?

The Giants was not a great game in pass pro.

I think the move Borom inside idea stems from his lack of athletic ability. He is a guy who doesn't really have the recovery athleticism you would like at OT. He needs to be perfect on most reps in terms of his positioning and technique.

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I wasn't watching carefully late in season. 

By a lot of accounts Borom held up pretty well, no?

Is there a game in 2nd half of season where he got whooped?

He wasn’t great but he held his own IMO. I thought Jenkins looked pretty decent too after the first game where he was forced onto the field on MNF and looked overwhelmed. His sample size was obviously much smaller.

I’m on board with rolling with those two at tackle provided we have an experienced vet (and maybe a developmental rookie too) behind them in case they fail. 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The Giants was not a great game in pass pro.

I think the move Borom inside idea stems from his lack of athletic ability. He is a guy who doesn't really have the recovery athleticism you would like at OT. He needs to be perfect on most reps in terms of his positioning and technique.

This would seem to be a disqualifier for him playing guard given what Poles wants there, and the reason I think Poles may view him as a depth player at OT instead of a starter. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

His cap hit is all guaranteed because Pace redid his deal so much. They lose money cutting him.

The only reason Whitehair is on the team is because his deal cannot be cut.

No, he could have been designated a post 6/1 cut and saved a ton of money on this years Cap. It was north of $8m I believe if it had been done prior to 3/20 which was basically a $3m roster bonus. 

They decided to give him that, and not cut him because they see a guy who can be good on this OL. Not just average, because you cut him if you think he would be average or less

Again, we all know the OL wasn’t good last year, but some of you don’t seem to grasp that it was with a very difficult scheme to execute unless you do actually have 5 studs to win 1v1 battles all the time. If we were still trying to pull that off, I would agree with Windy, but Thankfully that isn’t what we will be running going forward. 

Is Tevin Jenkins the answer at LT? We don’t know, but we have to find out. He showed me enough that I don’t think he will be a turnstile there, and isn’t putting fields in real danger, so you give him this year. He is likely a talent somewhere along the line at least (RT/G) so you find out now if he can man that LT spot into the future. Same with Borom, he showed enough that you will be able to use him somewhere along the line through his rookie deal, but you just have to find out where. Whitehair is likely in his last year (under this bloated contract atleast), Patrick is a short term deal, and if we get Bates it’s likely also a 2 year deal disguised as something else. So we aren’t committed to anyone beyond the next few years, so there will be plenty of turnover coming, mostly via the draft, just like the best OLs are built. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. I think someone gives him a shot at OT first too. Wouldn’t hate if it was us putting him opposite Jenkins with Borom at swing, but like you said, him falling to 39 is seeming more and more unlikely. 

Jets x2, Bucs, Titans, and Bengals all pick about 12-15 before the Bears. All 4 of those teams need OL. Maybe I'll be wrong!

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Because smart GMs know that college and HS coaches almost always put their best OL at T and C and the left overs at G when choosing their best 5.

People get caught up in height and arm measurements and say this guy is a G or T based on that.

The bottom line is the better athletes and overall football player pool is at T and C for above reason.

The exceptions typically come when there is already a returning starter stud OT in place or in addition to and another stud gets put at G because the OT spot is filled.

tenor.gif

I've been beating this drum the whole time I've been here. Not stopping either. Lol

• Like 1