2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

As far as weapons, I wouldn’t mind having J.James back in the TE mix, he’s a solid blocker and Fields obviously trusts him. Outside of him, I’d like to take a chance on Jordan Akins, if you can unlock him he would be a dangerous #2 TE. And I really hope we’re keeping tabs on how Blake Jarwin’s surgery goes. 

At WR, I’ve seen some bring up Fuller, and to me, it comes down to how we envision Pringle in this offense. If he’s already going to be the deep threat and a Special Teams returner, then I’d want something different than Fuller. Keelan Cole would be the guy I’d really want, and I’d like him to be used as the slot guy. He has been underutilized in that spot. And if not him, I’d like to hear what Poles thinks about Albert Wilson. Could be the type of vet to add to the WR room. And regardless of them, I’d like to see a good number of vets in camp (A. Humphries, C. Beebe, D. Petis) Would have Auden Tate on this list, but seems like we already filled that EQ

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We find someone to take Foles??? 

I’d be ecstatic, but it’s more likely we’ll just carry all 3 into the pre-season, hoping someone turns desperate for Foles. And if not, he’s just a sunk cost at that point, and if Siemian beats him out, you just go with it

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’d be ecstatic, but it’s more likely we’ll just carry all 3 into the pre-season, hoping someone turns desperate for Foles. And if not, he’s just a sunk cost at that point, and if Siemian beats him out, you just go with it

Could just cut Foles too. $3M saved might be same as Siemien’s 2022 hit making it a push. 

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Could just cut Foles too. $3M saved might be same as Siemien’s 2022 hit making it a push. 

But there’s no real incentive to cut him right now. It’s $3m saved today or the exact same amount saved if he is the last cut. And we aren’t Cap strapped at this point

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

But there’s no real incentive to cut him right now. It’s $3m saved today or the exact same amount saved if he is the last cut. And we aren’t Cap strapped at this point

All of that is true. But, Foles threw a pretty big fit last year after the Dalton signing if I recall. And if he’s gonna be QB3 again in Chicago (gotta think Siemien signed here to be QB2 rather than compete to be QB2 since he has zero shot to be QB1 here and would probably not have to compete to be QB2 elsewhere) there’s a very real chance IMO that Foles doesn’t want to be here.

Now that we paid his bonus out he may actually be tradable since a team taking him on in a trade now only inherits the $3M salary, which is totally palatable for a QB2. Doug Pederson is back in the NFL, and his current backup QBs in Jacksonville are CJ Beathard and Jake Luton. They also have six picks in rounds 6-7 this year. That connection is an easy one to make IMO.

Or maybe Poles just thinks Foles sucks and doesn’t want him on the roster at all under any circumstance. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

A guy I work with(packer fan) said a rumor of the packers trading for DJ Metcalf for the picks GB got from Vegas for Adams.  I'm not buying that.  Anyone else hear this?

There's probably a 1% chance of that happening.

I suspect if we do sign Bates the focus will shift from drafting an OG to a OT in the draft...probably a potential LT...at that point you can move Jenkins to the right side...let him & Borom comp at RT & potentially even at a guard spot and if neither wins a job there they become the swing tackle...Nicholas Petit-Frere didn't test as well as expected but his tape still says he could be an excellent fit in this scheme.

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Siemien sighing is weird and redundant?

Cutting Foles makes little financial sense.

I think it's odd too. Screws up our comp pick chances even more now.

Unless Foles has specifically requested out or they have a trade lined up to get something in return for him

I always thought Foles was the perfect back up

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think it's odd too. Screws up our comp pick chances even more now.

Unless Foles has specifically requested out or they have a trade lined up to get something in return for him

I always thought Foles was the perfect back up

I think they probably know this year’s comp pick ship has sailed. It was always going to be really hard this year with so many positions completely gutted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Siemien sighing is weird and redundant?

Cutting Foles makes little financial sense.

Makes me think they have a trade partner lined up or that he’s being cut. Nobody was trading for him before the Bears had to pay the $4M roster bonus and it’s still unlikely IMO, but at $3M for the acquiring team at least it’s palatable now for a backup. Financially cutting/trading him and signing Siemien is probably a wash.

He and Siemien are effectively on par with each other talent-wise IMO. Might be as simple as Poles/Getsy liking Siemien’s skill set a little better for what they want to do on offense. Or getting previously dissenting voices out of the locker room. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Makes me think they have a trade partner lined up or that he’s being cut. Nobody was trading for him before the Bears had to pay the $4M roster bonus and it’s still unlikely IMO, but at $3M for the acquiring team at least it’s palatable now for a backup. Financially cutting/trading him and signing Siemien is probably a wash.

He and Siemien are effectively on par with each other talent-wise IMO. Might be as simple as Poles/Getsy liking Siemien’s skill set a little better for what they want to do on offense. Or getting previously dissenting voices out of the locker room. 

I will be surprised if they find someone for Foles... why not just sign Dalton, unless Dalton wants closer to start money?

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I will be surprised if they find someone for Foles... why not just sign Dalton, unless Dalton wants closer to start money?

I'd rather have Siemien at this point. He did pretty well stepping in for the Saints after their QB disaster last year. 

24 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I'd rather have Siemien at this point. He did pretty well stepping in for the Saints after their QB disaster last year. 

2 years 4 million for Siemian

-Does not qualify for comp picks

-Foles being cut would net them 1 million in savings.