2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let me ask you this, if you were in the Eagles/Jets/Giants' shoes, would you do that deal?  I really don't think any GM would.

A straight swap?

Jets or Giants,  no way as they are picking too high.

Eagles at 19?  I would definitely consider it.   You have 3 first rounders this year alone and you don't want all contracts coming due at once.  You may lose a good player to monetary concerns.  Better to spread out picks IMO.

I would ask for more of course and expect it, but if Bears weren't willing to give it and played hardball I take a straight swap with 19 this year for next years 1.  So yes.  I am certain I can get at least a mid rounder to go with it though.   

I think it is clear from FA that Bears are not trying to win many games this year and that gives you a likely higher pick than 19 next year, likely a top 10 pick.

Particularly so if you like next years QB class better and are deciding not to address position this year.

I don't think Poles would want to do it, unless he waited and a player he highly coveted was sitting there at 19.  A player he valued as a top 10 pick.   Like what happened with CeeDee Lamb falling or Aaron Rodgers or Randy Moss or the like. 

Edited by dll2000

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I think it's odd too. Screws up our comp pick chances even more now.

Got a sec? I'm gonna let you in on a little secret.

Spoiler

Poles doesn't care about comp picks. At least, he doesn't this year. He has a lot bigger concerns in front of him. People should stop obsessing about comp picks. It's pointless.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Makes me think they have a trade partner lined up or that he’s being cut. Nobody was trading for him before the Bears had to pay the $4M roster bonus and it’s still unlikely IMO, but at $3M for the acquiring team at least it’s palatable now for a backup. Financially cutting/trading him and signing Siemien is probably a wash.

I'd imagine the roster bonus was paid to ensure a draft pick. Don't you?

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I will be surprised if they find someone for Foles... why not just sign Dalton, unless Dalton wants closer to start money?

Sure seems like they already have.

We'll see...

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd imagine the roster bonus was paid to ensure a draft pick. Don't you?

Ensure? Probably not. But make it a possibility? Absolutely. Nobody was taking him on owing him $7M for 2022 IMO. Someone might take him on owing just $3M for 2022.

FWIW they could have just agreed to speed up payment of the roster bonus to facilitate a trade at any point in the past few weeks. Getting anything for him is probably still a long shot. But like @StLunatic88 said, they aren’t in a place right now financially where they have to cut him if they can’t move him for something. I have to think they’d take pretty much anything in return for him though. Even if we get a 7th in 2024 for a guy we have no real need for nor intention to keep that’s a win. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's probably a 1% chance of that happening.

What makes you say that? Just curious.

44 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

would the eagles want Ejax? 2023 first and eddie for a 2022 first? i doubt it, but just spitballing different scenarios that don't include our picks. can't think of anyone else they would even be interested that doesn't include players we likely wouldnt want to trade (ro, jaylon, mooney, etc...)

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ensure? Probably not. But make it a possibility? Absolutely. Nobody was taking him on owing him $7M for 2022 IMO. Someone might take him on owing just $3M for 2022.

FWIW they could have just agreed to speed up payment of the roster bonus to facilitate a trade at any point in the past few weeks. Getting anything for him is probably still a long shot. But like @StLunatic88 said, they aren’t in a place right now financially where they have to cut him if they can’t move him for something. I have to think they’d take pretty much anything in return for him though. Even if we get a 7th in 2024 for a guy we have no real need for nor intention to keep that’s a win. 

I don't think they pay the roster bonus unless they have a very good idea they can trade him. Now we sign Siemian? I think they made a handshake deal some time back, and we'll find out what it is pretty soon.

But yeah, it's probably only going to be a sixth or seventh round pick. Unless they're putting together a package (which I doubt). 

59 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The roster bonus was being paid no matter what. It was guaranteed. Cutting him would not have saved it and no one was trading for him, until it was paid.

My guess is they hold on to him till camp and see if a QB gets hurt... and then release him before the end of camp.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The roster bonus was being paid no matter what. It was guaranteed. Cutting him would not have saved it and no one was trading for him, until it was paid.

My guess is they hold on to him till camp and see if a QB gets hurt... and then release him before the end of camp.

…or at least keep him until we’ve added a developmental 3rd QB to the roster. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

What makes you say that? Just curious.

I'm assuming you're referring to the DK Metcalf trade rumor?  Does it makes sense to trade the best WR in football for that package, and then immediately turn around trade that same package for a lesser WR?  Especially for a team that has largely been draft and develop, you are going to go with the guy you're investing less in but getting reasonably similar production.

11 hours ago, malagabears said:

It is a complex formula that doesn't really exist. The only potential leverage the Bears would have is that their FRP in 2023 "could be" high to give the other trading team a chance to pick their impact player, which is supposedly deep in QB's in this draft.

To an extent, it exists.  It's just not black and white like some people make it out to be.  Otherwise, we'd see teams make trades that are drastically far apart from what the TVC suggests it is.

11 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

would the eagles want Ejax? 2023 first and eddie for a 2022 first? i doubt it, but just spitballing different scenarios that don't include our picks. can't think of anyone else they would even be interested that doesn't include players we likely wouldnt want to trade (ro, jaylon, mooney, etc...)

If you're not willing to give up '22 picks to swap FRPs, you're probably going to have to only use players on rookie contracts.

Looking at our depth chart right now I am shocked we haven’t done more at DB in free agency…right now I see two starters in Jackson & Johnson…everyone else is depth at best…Flus was very open about the fact that UT, WLB & NB are the keys to this defence…we were super aggressive in filling the UT spot with Ogunjobi then pivoting to Jones…we brought in Morrow who is a prototype WLB and have Roquan there to compete for that spot but have done nothing at NB…he isn’t the player he used to be but IMO Chris Harris Jr would be an excellent fit for a season…5-9” 199lbs but with super long arms at 33’1/2” he brings the experience and playmaking ability inside we could use for this year and try to find a quality young NB to take over…he shouldn’t be able to command a ton of money at this stage in his career…Tavon Young, Bryce Callahan & Jason Verrett are all excellent players but I just can’t trust their health so Harris would be my top choice…

On the outside I would 100% take Kyle Fuller back in this scheme…Xavier Rhodes would be an obvious fit as well…A. J. Bouye would also make a lot of sense so we have at least a capable starter if we can’t draft a starter early in this year’s draft…

I think SS is a far bigger need for us than most realise…it wouldn’t shock me if a guy like Lewis Cine was available in the 2nd round if we would pull the trigger…there isn’t much left out there in FA in our price range with the likes of Keanu Neal now moving back to SS…I don’t see Tyrann Mathieu being an option.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Looking at our depth chart right now I am shocked we haven’t done more at DB in free agency…right now I see two starters in Jackson & Johnson…everyone else is depth at best…Flus was very open about the fact that UT, WLB & NB are the keys to this defence…we were super aggressive in filling the UT spot with Ogunjobi then pivoting to Jones…we brought in Morrow who is a prototype WLB and have Roquan there to compete for that spot but have done nothing at NB…he isn’t the player he used to be but IMO Chris Harris Jr would be an excellent fit for a season…5-9” 199lbs but with super long arms at 33’1/2” he brings the experience and playmaking ability inside we could use for this year and try to find a quality young NB to take over…he shouldn’t be able to command a ton of money at this stage in his career…Tavon Young, Bryce Callahan & Jason Verrett are all excellent players but I just can’t trust their health so Harris would be my top choice…

On the outside I would 100% take Kyle Fuller back in this scheme…Xavier Rhodes would be an obvious fit as well…A. J. Bouye would also make a lot of sense so we have at least a capable starter if we can’t draft a starter early in this year’s draft…

I think SS is a far bigger need for us than most realise…it wouldn’t shock me if a guy like Lewis Cine was available in the 2nd round if we would pull the trigger…there isn’t much left out there in FA in our price range with the likes of Keanu Neal now moving back to SS…I don’t see Tyrann Mathieu being an option.

I'm a little surprised too but maybe they like Patrick Graham at NB?

I actually expect them to draft a CB in round 2 now to start opposite JJ.

If we end up with Ryan Bates then this will give them even more flexibility to do so where I would expect WR and CB to be the targets in round 2 and then they use the middle rounds to target OL and everything else.

Edited by topwop1

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm a little surprised too but maybe they like Patrick Graham at NB?

I actually expect them to draft a CB in round 2 now to start opposite JJ.

If we end up with Ryan Bates then this will give them even more flexibility to do so where I would expect WR and CB to be the targets in round 2 and then they use the middle rounds to target OL and everything else.

Patrick Graham isn't leaving LV man 😉😂...Thomas Graham IMO is again depth when you consider how important the position is...

I think if we sign Bates then we will look to move to a LT in the draft...I think Jenkins moves to RT and Borom then can backup at 4 positions upfront...I feel Poles will do anything to keep Fields upright.

• Like 1