2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, BearsDen1-99 said:

I hope so!

It was already better the last part of last season than it was earlier on. And the powers that be are improving upon that. 

I'm concerned that the improvements won't be as great as they should be. I'm not at all concerned that there won't be improvements...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Russell Wilson Sacks By Season: 

2012: 33

2013: 44

2014: 42

2015: 45

2016: 41

2017: 43

2018: 51

2019: 48

2020: 47

2021: 33 (14 games)

Wilson’s top receiving targets in year 2 were 4th year Golden Tate (64/898), 3rd year Doug Baldwin (50/772) and 2nd year Jermaine Kearse (22/346). You’re telling me Mooney, Pringle and a rookie can’t match that, even if Fields is sacked 44 times? 

If Fields is what we think he can be, those guys aren’t holding him back. If he’s that dude then he’s making those guys better, not the other way around. 

Why make him go through this?

There is no rule that says just because you found “the guy” that you have to kick the **** out of him.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We are going to go into the draft desperate.

That is never a good place to be.

I am not  sure why Poles would want to put that much pressure on the draft with 6 picks and no 1. But that is his choice 

The good thing about having so many needs is that we can take the best players available at 39 and 48!

• Like 1

Not picking up Bates hurts a bit, but it's not really changing my draft plans at all, tbh

Tyler Smith-OT/OG is the guy I've been highest on so far, and I like the idea of slotting him in at RG immediately..... I wanted him before Bates went back to Buffalo, and I'm  still looking that direction at 39, unless someone like Olave or Linderbaum is there.

The question in my mind is what are we doing with Borom/Jenkins..... Me personally, I think Borom is better suited to the left side, and putting Jenkins on the right side right next to Tyler Smith would make for an almost comically aggressive RG/RT combo to run behind.

That being said, if Poles is in fact way lower on Borom as per the rumors, THEN we're in some trouble..... Maybe Smith can play RT (in which case we don't have a guard who will be playing right next to a rookie RT).... or we could double dip on OL in the 2nd with Tyler Smith then Danielle Faalele..... but then you're putting 2 rookies next to each other on the right side....  and as much as he's super athletic -FOR HIS SIZE- , I'm pretty skeptical that he's mobile enough for the kind of zone heavy scheme we're going to apparently be running.....   So perhaps swap whitehair to RG, draft smith in at LG (then you still benefit from the Jenkins/Smith pairing on the left side, and whitehair, as the veteran, can try and help Faalale out with Borom being the primary backup OT/OG.

The real problem with double dipping OL in the 2nd is, the level of WR talent drops considerably after that.  Watson, Pickens, and Dotson, I feel can be contributers on the level of what Mooney was last year....... Those third rounders are more Pierce/ Calvin Austin/Metchie guys who I expect to be more #3 guys/roleplayers.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We are going to go into the draft desperate.

That is never a good place to be.

I am not  sure why Poles would want to put that much pressure on the draft with 6 picks and no 1. But that is his choice 

Does Poles seem desperate to you? Because he doesn’t to me. For the offense he needs one starter on the OL, plus depth. He needs one starter at WR and it seems he wants that to be a drafted guy, but if not then there are a dozen vets that could be brought in to start for one year.

The desperation appears to me to lie solely within the fan base. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Does Poles seem desperate to you? Because he doesn’t to me. For the offense he needs one starter on the OL, plus depth. He needs one starter at WR and it seems he wants that to be a drafted guy, but if not then there are a dozen vets that could be brought in to start for one year.

Agreed...I think the "needs" on offence are being overblown in some ways...as you said we need 1 OL & 1 WR on offence...sure depth is something you can always want more of and better quality of but that will take time and frankly shows the mess Pace left by aggressively trading up so much...if we come out of the 2nd round with a quality OL & WR prospect I think all will be good on that side of the ball to at least be competitive...if anything I see the fact we have 3 missing pieces on the back end of the defence as even more concerning at this point from an overall team point of view but there is no doubt in my mind our first 2 or 3 picks should go to the offence in order to help Fields' progression.

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The one thing that stuck out to me from FA and his offer to Bates.... was that Poles really seems to want ascending younger players, and is trying very hard to not get sucked into paying bigger deals to mediocre-subpar players.  And I'll be honest, I'm fine with that.... bordering on even liking the idea, to a point. Paying for mediocre players you can't get rid of when you want to has been part of our issue lately...... That being said, there does need to be some balance towards and and emphasis on, evaluating Fields this year, which we are pretty blatantly not in a position to do right now. The OL is arguably worse, and the WR room is definitely worse.  About the only positive thing we have done is change the offensive scheme (which in a normal situation is a bad thing... but damn did Nagy... well Nagy it all up)..

Going forward, Poles might be doing the smart play for the franchise longer term, but it is currently conflicting with the short term goals of properly evaluating Fields......and it's putting a ton of pressure on this draft class to basically be an absolute home run.  We basically need both of our 2nds, and our 3rd, and likely at least one of the remaining 3 late rounders to all hit... JUST to evaluate Fields properly.... and that's without addressing the rest of the team in basically any fashion. That's a -very- tall order.

• Like 1