2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Problems I have seen are people with leases go to sell and they don’t realize they have to pay it all off or their buyer has to agree to take over their lease.  

Then solar company wants to approve the buyer.  Then, if they do that, they want a year up front from buyer.   Then they want a large fee to do so.

Or the roof needs to be fixed. Now they have to pay solar company to take them off and put them back at their chosen price to do so.  

Or they didn’t do math on step increases in contract.  What may have started as a good deal, becomes not a good a deal.

This doesn’t get into trying to dispose old batteries or panels in some areas.  You think getting rid of a TV is hard.  

I think we're OK on the surprises from our end part of the deal, new roof, paid cash, etc.  I think the panels will hopefully be my kids problem, so sweet revenge to me!

Loads of ways to screw up "being alive" so I'm always learning new ones, thanks!  On another thread you guys were going on with kids: girls vs boys. I always thought doing my girls hair in the morning was hard, that is NOTHING compared to a boy who wants to look like Luke Skywalker for a theme day at school, coupled with a dad who has no clue about hair. Oh the sounds they make when you get it wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it’s a plan on multiple fronts:

-Not tied financially to guys who don’t pan out, but have the ability to extend in season or before next March the ones who become what you hope.

-Tries to leverage guys betting on younger players looking for their first lucrative deal to get the best they have, versus older guys maybe just chasing one last year of checks, with the thought being you’re more likely to get their best all the time. 

-It’s a HUGE comp pick play for down the road. Guys who ball out and get a big deal elsewhere, or even those who end up with similar prove it type deals elsewhere, go as qualifying losses next year into the comp pick formula. Draft your future core guys, extend the prove it deal guys who indeed prove it, let the ones who don’t prove it go, and likely reap draft capital benefit long term. 

This part I agree with, the new staff is essentially under zero pressure this year so it does make sense to get young, get cheap and take flyers. Hopefully some guys pan out and stay, if they pan out and go elsewhere we can finally be on the postive side in comp picks, if they fail, well, they were cheap.  

2023 we'll be signing the Armsteads and Allen Robinsons of the world. So long as Fields doesn't die, we could be set up for 23 or 24 as serious years (again)

Oh, and a face cord is just the frontal area of a cord of wood (4x8') one set of logs deep.  It's a lot to burn in a house with a furnace, but is the only antidote sometimes for being stuck inside after a long winter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think we're OK on the surprises from our end part of the deal, new roof, paid cash, etc.  I think the panels will hopefully be my kids problem, so sweet revenge to me!

Loads of ways to screw up "being alive" so I'm always learning new ones, thanks!  On another thread you guys were going on with kids: girls vs boys. I always thought doing my girls hair in the morning was hard, that is NOTHING compared to a boy who wants to look like Luke Skywalker for a theme day at school, coupled with a dad who has no clue about hair. Oh the sounds they make when you get it wrong.

My 13 yr old son is currently piecing together basically the Assassins Creed outfit.   Other day an Amazon Prime package came with a glove that has switch blade that pops out of it.  

My daughter put together a really cool steam punk outfit for renaissance fairs.  

I admit it is really cool.  I think they spend too much on it though.  Their grandparents spoil them. 

• Like 2

If i was put in charge of my daughters hair there would be problems.   I would learn though or she quickly would.

Been cutting my son’s hair is whole life.  I offer to take him to barber, but he refuses for some reason.  I actually do a good job with it though, handy with clippers.   My roommates and I used to cut each other’s hair in college to save money.  

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

If i was put in charge of my daughters hair there would be problems.   I would learn though or she quickly would.

Been cutting my son’s hair is whole life.  I offer to take him to barber, but he refuses for some reason.  I actually do a good job with it though, handy with clippers.   My roommates and I used to cut each other’s hair in college to save money.  

I cut some hair for people during pandemic when barbers were closed.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My 13 yr old son is currently piecing together basically the Assassins Creed outfit.   Other day an Amazon Prime package came with a glove that has switch blade that pops out of it.  

My daughter put together a really cool steam punk outfit for renaissance fairs.  

I admit it is really cool.  I think they spend too much on it though.  Their grandparents spoil them. 

Eh,  our kids have never had a lot of toys compared to their friends but every now and then it's fun to let them run with an idea.  Never know what's going to be a special memory for them later in life.  All we've overspent on is trying to show them lots of places, people, jobs, activities etc.  Let them pick later.

The switchblade is classic.  It's astonishing the weird stuff you can order on Amazon and Ali and then like (also astonishing what actually shows up sometimes.   I got in trouble for having a camp knife in my backpack at school when I was a kid (totally forgot!) but my son got me back last fall.  I was walking them to school and he stops, turns pale, and says "dad I think I have something I can't take to school in my coat" so we rush back to the garage, he pulls out a swiss army knife, pliers, a ****load of nails, a laser measurer, a tiny hammer of unkown origin, and not one but two propane torches.  It was like a scene in an action movie where a checkpoitn demands the hero removes his weapons, just kept on going.  Apparently he was helping the neighbor with her garage and for some reason needed that combination of tools.  Ah well, if he looks like the wrong movie Luke Skywalker today it's payback. 

My hairstyle takes exactly a minute to cut, my wife does it.  I have learned to do my daughters hair so "well" that she immediately learned how to on her own and tries to have it done before I ask, so that I won't fix anything.  One of our neighbors is a stylist instructor at some barber college. I got my hair cut on his porch once.  It was actually fun, but we got to a point where they were filling up my wine glass for like the fifth time and I was like "are you waiting for something to dry or something?" and he said "You were done three glasses ago, I just want more dirt on the other neighbors" It's definitely a relaxing experience but it's hard to be $0 and not having to put on pants. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Eh,  our kids have never had a lot of toys compared to their friends but every now and then it's fun to let them run with an idea.  Never know what's going to be a special memory for them later in life.  All we've overspent on is trying to show them lots of places, people, jobs, activities etc.  Let them pick later.

The switchblade is classic.  It's astonishing the weird stuff you can order on Amazon and Ali and then like (also astonishing what actually shows up sometimes.   I got in trouble for having a camp knife in my backpack at school when I was a kid (totally forgot!) but my son got me back last fall.  I was walking them to school and he stops, turns pale, and says "dad I think I have something I can't take to school in my coat" so we rush back to the garage, he pulls out a swiss army knife, pliers, a ****load of nails, a laser measurer, a tiny hammer of unkown origin, and not one but two propane torches.  It was like a scene in an action movie where a checkpoitn demands the hero removes his weapons, just kept on going.  Apparently he was helping the neighbor with her garage and for some reason needed that combination of tools.  Ah well, if he looks like the wrong movie Luke Skywalker today it's payback. 

My hairstyle takes exactly a minute to cut, my wife does it.  I have learned to do my daughters hair so "well" that she immediately learned how to on her own and tries to have it done before I ask, so that I won't fix anything.  One of our neighbors is a stylist instructor at some barber college. I got my hair cut on his porch once.  It was actually fun, but we got to a point where they were filling up my wine glass for like the fifth time and I was like "are you waiting for something to dry or something?" and he said "You were done three glasses ago, I just want more dirt on the other neighbors" It's definitely a relaxing experience but it's hard to be $0 and not having to put on pants. 

LOL

I’ve been shaving my head for years. Started losing my hair in the back and just went for it since I have a symmetrical head that looks good bald. Was fun early pandemic to see women with their jacked up hair since the salons were all closed. My **** is COVID-proof!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

-Not tied financially to guys who don’t pan out, but have the ability to extend in season or before next March the ones who become what you hope.

This is paramount and it really is a great approach. You get them in your building, you see what they're about, and if they play well for you that's an immediate extension and position solved.

If they're *******s, or the suck, move on with nothing lost.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

At some point we need to invest in the offense.

We have limited money and we can’t keep spending it on the DL. That type of resource allocation is part of the problem with the Pace era.

We have 2 solid 3 techniques already.

I get what you're saying, but let's step back and look at what we currently have:

Starting QB: Justin Fields

Starting RB: David Montgomery

RB Depth: Khalil Herbert, Darrynton Evans

Passing Game Targets: Darnell Mooney, Cole Kmet, Byron Pringle, David Montgomery (61.2% of target were dispersed among 4 players)

Offensive Line: Teven Jenkins/Cody Whitehair/Patrick Lucas/OPEN/Larry Borom

You have options here... one of Jenkins/Borom can play RG if need be, or both play OT and you draft your RG, etc.

Get a WR in the draft and address RG/OT and you're "fine". It's not as bad as some are making it out to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I get what you're saying, but let's step back and look at what we currently have:

Starting QB: Justin Fields

Starting RB: David Montgomery

RB Depth: Khalil Herbert, Darrynton Evans

Passing Game Targets: Darnell Mooney, Cole Kmet, Byron Pringle, David Montgomery (61.2% of target were dispersed among 4 players)

Offensive Line: Teven Jenkins/Cody Whitehair/Patrick Lucas/OPEN/Larry Borom

You have options here... one of Jenkins/Borom can play RG if need be, or both play OT and you draft your RG, etc.

Get a WR in the draft and address RG/OT and you're "fine". It's not as bad as some are making it out to be.

As long as the draft picks are ready week 1 and no one gets hurt.

Going 3 deep at DT while taking risks at RG and OT just doesn’t line up for me.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If signing the 3 DL then means we can hit the draft for 2 or 3 OL then I have no issue with it at all...like I have said before there has to be big picture thinking here.

You can hit the draft for 2-3 OLmen without signing Larry O back. We have plenty of DLmen.

It just isn’t required  after paying Jones.

We have 4 serious OLmen on the team 2 WRs, 2 CBs, 2 LBs, Spend the money at one of those spots. We can’t draft all those.

Edited by WindyCity