2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Everything he has done makes sense with a team doing a reset this year… except Larry O. 

If your not going to make big moves in free agency… okay.

But if you are, which he was, why not make a direct investment in Fields?

Because they're transitioning to a 4-3. 

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If you have money why not invest directly in Fields?

They...have? 🤨

And they will continue to do so?

I'm legit confused by your declaration, there. 

Do you honestly think that because they didn't sign Armstead they have have done nothing to help Fields? 

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

They...have? 🤨

Do you honestly think that because they didn't sign Armstead they have have done nothing to help Fields? 

No, I think that more could have been invested around Fields… considering we had the budget and we’re willing to spend. 

I am surprised with a budget and will to spend that we have only added Pringle and Patrick to an offense that could use more.

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

They...have? 🤨

I'm expecting little this season,  particularly in wins,  but I'm definitely hoping they ramp up their aggressiveness on the OL and at WR. Thankfully this draft has a lot of talented prospects at both but even then I hope they add people that are good enough to challenge them for the starting gigs at least.  

Hopefully Getsy is competent enough to keep Fields from getting maimed like last year too.

Signing Patrick and Pringle isn't investing in Fields when you let Daniels and Robinson walk. Bears are just checking boxes with those moves. Much like Gabriel, Goodwin, Byrd, etc., the new guys don't move the needle much.

Maybe they'll draft some difference-making OL/WR. But they should have signed some too.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Signing Patrick and Pringle isn't investing in Fields when you let Daniels and Robinson walk. Bears are just checking boxes with those moves. Much like Gabriel, Goodwin, Byrd, etc., the new guys don't move the needle much.

Maybe they'll draft some difference-making OL/WR. But they should have signed some too.

It would seem they’re banking on a significant gain with the removal of Nagy from the offensive equation. Considering what the offense looked like from a “How is THIS your gameplan?” standpoint under Nagy’s watch that’s not exactly unreasonable.

They are also very obviously leaning heavily on what key staff members have seen at their prior stops with the additions they have made. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that of the non-Dozier additions on offense one comes from KC and two from GB. The FB we signed came from an Indy division rival. On defense they’ve added an Indy DE, a safety from in Indy’s division, a LB from in KC’s division and a DT from KC’s division. Our OL coach had to prepare his team to face Ogunjobi twice last year. 

Whether Poles is right that Pringle is just a guy who was target logjammed behind Hill and Kelce and is a better than his stat sheet indicates will play itself out. He shouldn’t be worse than 2021 ARob was provided he’s healthy. Whether or not he’ll be better is the question. Poles clearly thinks so. We know Patrick can be an effective starting center, and Getsy will know where his limitations are. That doesn’t make an average starter a top tier one, but there’s value to be had in that IMO. One would think with the firsthand knowledge about the guys we have added there should be less out of town stupid and a higher hit rate. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I get that. The offense is cheaper because they are younger.

But I still feel 26.5 million on a DT coming off a broken foot is a lot to spend when you have some pretty glaring holes on offense. And I understand it’s importance to the defense.

I don’t disagree, but the other side of that is that WR and OL are far deeper positions in this draft than impact DTs, and we needed all 3. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t disagree, but the other side of that is that WR and OL are far deeper positions in this draft than impact DTs, and we needed all 3. 

Precisely, and Poles knows this. 

You look at the FA crop, compare it to the depth in the draft, and you act accordingly. 

My question: is the draft deeper at WR or OL/iOL? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G08 said:

You look at the FA crop, compare it to the depth in the draft, and you act accordingly. 

That’s really the million dollar question. We’ll know what Poles thinks on Friday of the draft.

I think it’s deeper at WR personally, and because of that, if Poles doesn’t like Borom as a starter it wouldn’t shock me at all to see us go OL/OL in R2 then grab a WR like Bell, Tolbert or maybe Metchie in R3. 

On 4/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, WindyCity said:

Of course that is the case. Aren't we all on here just sharing our opinions? I think the approach to free agency has been flawed and you think Poles has done an exceptional job. 

My stance is, and will continue to be,  if you are willing to drop big money on a DT, I expect you can drop more money on the OL. 

My opinion is he should have brought in a plus WR and a plus OL in FA.   I am NOT saying he should have brought in Adams, Tyreek or Kirk.   Or even Valdes-Scantling.   I don't want Poles to over spend or foolishly spend either, in money or trading away draft capital.  

But relative reasonable bargains were out there to be had.  I name Cooper and Chark.   But I am open to other names.

Same with OL.  Not going to go through whole list as I am working.   But reasonable deals were out there to be had.

I think strongly he should have made a run at BJ Hill as well. 

I don't like going into draft with plan to draft needs.   You can't predict how names are going to fall.   

You want to take best name on your big board.

I also think he is leaving too much work to do next season.    You can't do it all this year - I agree with that.   But trying to do bulk of work next season is also a mistake IMO.

I also feel strongly that a plan that makes Fields look really bad in 2022 is a bad one.   I don't buy into this notion that a QB can make a crap team good and they don't require talent around them to succeed or be properly evaluated.

I think the opposite.   I think there are many QBs who have had promising careers wrecked by having bad supporting casts.   We can never know how many.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, G08 said:

I think at that you'd (well, Poles would be i guess) be splitting hairs to worry about that since bother are solid . Just get the best player on your board unless you have a cluster with pretty identical grades. If so you try a small move back. 

If you see a massive run of WRs you might need to adjust though. It's going to be a fluid situation for Poles and Co. 

5 hours ago, G08 said:

That is a lot of eggs in the draft basket.

We are going to need to nail at least 2 offensive picks [WR, RG] and have early solid starters from the draft... that is before we even worry about the defense.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

No, I think that more could have been invested around Fields… considering we had the budget and we’re willing to spend. 

I am surprised with a budget and will to spend that we have only added Pringle and Patrick to an offense that could use more.

Here's the 2021 Green Bay Packers starting offensive line, and a quick synopsis of those players' histories:

OT/ David Bakhtiari Rd4/109 started all 16 games as a rookie.

OC/ Josh Meyers Rd2/62 started 6 games as a rookie before injury

T/G Royce Newman Rd4/142 started 16 games as a rookie

OG Jon Runyan Rd6/192 started 16 games as 2nd year player

OG/ Elgton Jenkins Rd2/44 started 14 games as a rookie, 16 as a 2nd year player, made Pro Bowl 3rd season.

A very good group--and all were drafted. Obviously, Poles can't be as patient in drafting guys, but he can come close. 

It's not over yet.