2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm out of the loop, and haven't even watched the Falcons play since the game Trubisky got benched. Would Gage be your top choice?

Relative to expected cost he’s right at the top of my list. I think you’ll get similar production to Christian Kirk at about 60% of the cost. Both have been in a WR 2/3 type role the past 2 years which is also what they project as at their next stops:

Kirk 2020-2021 (31 games, 21 starts): 125 rec. (68.9% catch rate), 1603 yd, 11 TD

*projected $13-15M annually

Gage 2020-2021 (30 games, 17 starts): 138 rec. (68.0% catch rate), 1556 TD, 8 TD

*projected $8-10M annually

Kirk is the more desirable add because he has a little more big play potential, but Gage is the more financially prudent investment IMO. Both would be nice pieces for us for sure. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Who is Carl Williams? I was thinking Carlton Davis at first but not sure who Williams is.  Or did you mean Connor?

My three would be Juju, Jensen, and Chark. 

Yeah  Carlton Davis, these are the mistakes I make when I'm trying to get the family ready for church in the morning.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If I had my druthers, my 3 main targets for FA tomorrow would be Ryan Jensen, DJ Chark, and Carl Williams.

I am not sure Jensen fits the profile of what we are going for...I expect us to target younger FAs...Brian Allen makes more long term sense than Jensen...Chalk & Davis I could see.

Just now, CBears019 said:

What’s the timeline of next week?  Tomorrow is the begin of the “legal tampering” period, correct?  Then Wednesday is when they can officially sign?

What time does the tampering period open?

Noon ET teams can start speaking with players then officially since at 4pm ET on Wednesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Yeah  Carlton Davis, these are the mistakes I make when I'm trying to get the family ready for church in the morning.

It's all good man, just was asking. I do that dame think regularly without any variables. Kept calling Getsy by the name of Gatsby for a few hours. Lol 

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I am not sure Jensen fits the profile of what we are going for...I expect us to target younger FAs...Brian Allen makes more long term sense than Jensen...Chalk & Davis I could see.

Jensen is better than Allen, though. And probably has several good years left in him.

I have no problem with Chark, but would prefer Kirk or Schuster. Chark is more likely cheaper than those two, so there's that. @AZBearsFan made a compelling argument for Gage from Atlanta, too. 

It sounds like Arizona and Pittsburgh are both going after Davis, so that might not be a doable thing. Although it would be great if the Bears could nab him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Jensen is better than Allen, though. And probably has several good years left in him.

I have no problem with Chark, but would prefer Kirk or Schuster. Chark is more likely cheaper than those two, so there's that. @AZBearsFan made a compelling argument for Gage from Atlanta, too. 

It sounds like Arizona and Pittsburgh are both going after Davis, so that might not be a doable thing. Although it would be great if the Bears could nab him.

If the Bears go top market money on anyone I’ll be pretty shocked if it’s not an offensive player. Davis would be awesome but I think that’s more of a try to push you over the top type add than one for where we’re at. 

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

No doubt Jensen is better...but he is also way more expensive, 4 years old & will want to play for a contending team...that combined with the fact I really don't believe we will make any real "splash" FA signs makes me think the possibility of Jensen is low...I would say he stays in TB...maybe Denver is a fit...but I just don't see there being a ton of interest from either side...Allen while not as good is solid, younger, cheaper & fully understands this scheme...he is from Illinois which also could help convince him to come here...

I expect us to sign a lot of guys in FA...just more quantity than quality...I also think Poles will continue to throw a lot of darts year one...fill as many spots as possible then with all that cap space and full draft resources next offseason really start to go after stars (I pray for DK Metcalf...disappointed when tagged 😂)

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

If the Bears go top market money on anyone I’ll be pretty shocked if it’s not an offensive player. Davis would be awesome but I think that’s more of a try to push you over the top type add than one for where we’re at. 

Yeah, the only way I could see them spending big on a defensive guy would be if they could somehow trade Eddie Jackson. And we don't even know if Poles would be keen on that.

If I'm Poles I'm only spending top dollar on an offensive lineman. If the Bears get into a bidding war over, say, Shuster--I'd be moving on to the next guy. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

No doubt Jensen is better...but he is also way more expensive, 4 years old & will want to play for a contending team...that combined with the fact I really don't believe we will make any real "splash" FA signs makes me think the possibility of Jensen is low...I would say he stays in TB...maybe Denver is a fit...but I just don't see there being a ton of interest from either side...Allen while not as good is solid, younger, cheaper & fully understands this scheme...he is from Illinois which also could help convince him to come here...

I expect us to sign a lot of guys in FA...just more quantity than quality...I also think Poles will continue to throw a lot of darts year one...fill as many spots as possible then with all that cap space and full draft resources next offseason really start to go after stars (I pray for DK Metcalf...disappointed when tagged 😂)

You make a lot of good points...but I dunno. Who's Tampa's QB, anyway? If it's Trask...wouldn't the Bears be just as appealing to Jensen? And I don't know that Denver even needs Jensen, or has the money to pay him. 

You might be right about signing a lot of lower priced guys. It would be awesome if we could get a corner and a safety. 

Edited by Heinz D.

27 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You make a lot of good points...but I dunno. Who's Tampa's QB, anyway? If it's Trask...wouldn't the Bears be just as appealing to Jensen? And I don't know that Denver even needs Jensen, or has the money to pay him. 

You might be right about signing a lot of lower priced guys. It would be awesome if we could get a corner and a safety. 

Teddy Bridgewater is a name to watch in TB IMO...would make a ton of sense as a bridge QB to Trask next season...with their receiving talent and defence they are still a far better team than we are right now...the Broncos still have $23 million in cap space so plenty to sign Jensen...

I would love to get DJ Reed at NB to solve that issue and allow us to target the deep outside CB pool in the draft...at safety I really want Justin Reed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Kirk 2020-2021 (31 games, 21 starts): 125 rec. (68.9% catch rate), 1603 yd, 11 TD

*projected $13-15M annually

Gage 2020-2021 (30 games, 17 starts): 138 rec. (68.0% catch rate), 1556 TD, 8 TD

I sincerely doubt either of them go for as low as $10/year. Feel like WR market floor is $16-18 at least a year for them, as they are the top perceived guys. Especially with the salary cap healing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would love to get DJ Reed at NB to solve that issue and allow us to target the deep outside CB pool in the draft...at safety I really want Justin Reed.

Both guys would be great additions. Mayes from the Jets is another guy that might be a good fit. 

Lot of smoke around JuJu coming at at WR...big risk vs. reward with him...banking on health and indeed that it was Big Ben's arm that was holding him back in terms of production...

In some ways much like Lazard with MVS I think we might be better served going after James Washington if we want a Steelers reciever...healthy, more explosive and cheaper.