2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

For anyone still worried...tell me what properly ran teams like the Pats or Colts have done so far? Especially the Colts with the most cap space in the NFL? You don't build a winner in FA...you become the Jets & the Jags in FA...

No one every won or lost a game in March...let's see what plays out here.

Pats were all over the place last year in FA so they aren't going to do it 2 years in a row.   

Kraft publicly stated he was upset at all the spending all at once last year so Belichick isn't going to dive in this year.   FA spending has to be cleared with owners.  GMs get an internal spending budget that isn't publicly disclosed.   Each team probably does it a little different, but I think no GM gets to do whatever he wants when he wants to.    

Indy brought in a QB and LT last year and had to bail on their QB this year.   If Washington hadn't bailed out Ballard with that abomination of a trade Ballard would a lame duck this year.

Indy isn't playing because they are probably negotiating for Jimmy G. at moment and waiting to see how that plays out. 

Edited by dll2000
aren't not are

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

For anyone still worried...tell me what properly ran teams like the Pats or Colts have done so far? Especially the Colts with the most cap space in the NFL? You don't build a winner in FA...you become the Jets & the Jags in FA...

I think many dont seem to grasp how much of a rebuild this roster actually is. There will be more shedding of old players over the next 18 months which is much more important than some splash signings this offseason. Just putting themselves in position to build an actual roster, not patch together something that will get headlines in March.

They will take some shots on guys who may have multi year potential with the club, but no move right now is being done with 2024 and beyond in mind.

I wouldnt be surprised to be real players in the cut vets market, trying to build some Compensatory Picks for 2023

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think many dont seem to grasp how much of a rebuild this roster actually is. There will be more shedding of old players over the next 18 months which is much more important than some splash signings this offseason. Just putting themselves in position to build an actual roster, not patch together something that will get headlines in March.

They will take some shots on guys who may have multi year potential with the club, but no move right now is being done with 2024 and beyond in mind.

I wouldnt be surprised to be real players in the cut vets market, trying to build some Compensatory Picks for 2023

That is 100% fine. Except when it comes to protecting Fields.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

It doesn't matter if Bears are bad, but however they do it; they need to acquire vet OL and vet WRs.   

You can't let Fields exist another full season with no help or you risk breaking him forever.

He has to enjoy some sustained success at moving football and crossing goal line and he can't be physically murdered again.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

That is 100% fine. Except when it comes to protecting Fields.

I agree we need to fix the OL, but if you arent cutting Whitehair (would have already been done) then you are going in with 3 starters. And all 3 of them are pretty flexible right now.

I think you have to see if Jenkins is a LT, but if not you likely slide him into RT this year. I have always thought Borom is a Guard, and I think he will be in this offense, but he COULD be a RT as well. And then with CW, he should probably just be a guard, but could be your Center for one more year till you find the right guy.

Thats all before we are talking about plenty of serviceable OL still out there, they just arent guys who you commit long term to, and wouldnt be signed right now. And as far as OL goes, you can get atleast one day 1 starter somewhere in the draft.

Id be more included to wait, and just gather up 3/4/5 Veteran guys to fill out the OL on one year deals. And add in a Draft Pick or two, theres your 8/9 Lineman, and just let camp figure everything out

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I agree we need to fix the OL, but if you arent cutting Whitehair (would have already been done) then you are going in with 3 starters. And all 3 of them are pretty flexible right now.

I think you have to see if Jenkins is a LT, but if not you likely slide him into RT this year. I have always thought Borom is a Guard, and I think he will be in this offense, but he COULD be a RT as well. And then with CW, he should probably just be a guard, but could be your Center for one more year till you find the right guy.

Thats all before we are talking about plenty of serviceable OL still out there, they just arent guys who you commit long term to, and wouldnt be signed right now. And as far as OL goes, you can get atleast one day 1 starter somewhere in the draft.

Id be more included to wait, and just gather up 3/4/5 Veteran guys to fill out the OL on one year deals. And add in a Draft Pick or two, theres your 8/9 Lineman, and just let camp figure everything out

You are assuming they have Jenkins and Borom graded out as starters.

Our OL is 2x unproven and 1x mediocre right now.

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I like the talent of the young guys, but all 3 of those starters were subpar last year when they played and our C was abominable.

It would be one heck of a gamble to not sign at least one top OL veteran and it looks like we are taking that gamble.

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You can't let Fields exist another full season with no help or you risk breaking him forever.

Dont agree, never have. If you have a legitimate guy, hes going to be good no matter if he struggles in the first few years. Now sure, dont get him hurt, but those things you are worried about only happen to inferior talents who are artificially inflated at draft time.

They arent going to let Fields be broken, there are plenty of decent Lineman out there, that arent flashy names, that fit the system well. And there are bound to be more that get cut in the next few weeks as teams spend their money.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Good we only need to draft 4 offensive starters, awesome.

We need offensive talent sooner than the draft can provide.

We can start building in the draft once a minimum level of talent is set for this year. We do not have 2-3 years to build an OL like the Colts.

You should work for the Jags man 😂

I have faith that we will build in the correct way rather than given out big money to average players.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You are assuming they have Jenkins and Borom graded out as starters.

Sure its an assumption, but I would question them if they didnt see those two talents as starters SOMEWHERE along the OL, especially with what we actually got to see them do in the NFL, althought it was in a system that doesnt fit their strengths the best.

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Pats were all over the place last year in FA so they aren't going to do it 2 years in a row.   

Kraft publicly stated he was upset at all the spending all at once last year so Belichick isn't going to dive in this year.   FA spending has to be cleared with owners.  GMs get an internal spending budget that isn't publicly disclosed.   Each team probably does it a little different, but I think no GM gets to do whatever he wants when he wants to.    

Indy brought in a QB and LT last year and had to bail on their QB this year.   If Washington hadn't bailed out Ballard with that abomination of a trade Ballard would a lame duck this year.

Indy isn't playing because they are probably negotiating for Jimmy G. at moment and waiting to see how that plays out. 

Sorta of proving my point there...they build through the draft successfully...they reached in FA & by trade and it went badly.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Dont agree, never have. If you have a legitimate guy, hes going to be good no matter if he struggles in the first few years. Now sure, dont get him hurt, but those things you are worried about only happen to inferior talents who are artificially inflated at draft time.

They arent going to let Fields be broken, there are plenty of decent Lineman out there, that arent flashy names, that fit the system well. And there are bound to be more that get cut in the next few weeks as teams spend their money.

I appreciate that argument.

But I think there have existed plenty of good talents we think were 'inferior' because teams broke them early or they didn't get off to good start and the world gave up on them or they themselves gave up.   

We will never know for sure because we can't redo a person in another situation.   Kurt Warner story is kind of crazy when you think about it.   

I believe Fields is a legit talent as it stands and he has ability to succeed in this league, however;  in end he still may not work out because of what team he was drafted into did. 

We will see how it all plays out.  

• Like 2