The Ftont office or the coaches?

hornbybrown

This quote sums a lot up for me:

"Only the most obtuse would try to argue that the Browns have not added talent the past two offseasons, yet the product on the field remains a mess. It is hard to imagine how a team can’t find a way to fall into more than one win in the past 26 outings, but that is the situation they find themselves and Jackson needs to take the fall."

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/11/19/cleveland-browns-takeaways-jaguars/

This is on the coaching. I could argue the front office has done a solid job of drafting. Especially on defense.

The Browns currently rank #8th in total defense and #1 in the NFL against the run in YPC.  The defense this season is officially a top 10 unit in the NFL. In 2 years of drafting and FA.

Now the problem comes on the offensive side of the ball. They have invested tons of draft picks into the WR/TE position and you cant tell me one of those 6 guys cant become a good NFL target. I put that on coaching. Greg WIlliams has developed his talent with Shelton, Ogunjobi, Garrett, Nassib, Coley, Ogbah, BBC, Kindred, and Peppers. Hue has not developed a single player on the offensive side of the football or put anybody in the position to succeed with playcalling after drafting 6 pass catchers and a QB in 2 years. Our offense is anemic.

Thats where think this is on coaching more than the FO. The FO has drafted all sorts of guys on offense and none of them are making an impact. We see everybody taking flight on the defensive side of the ball and nobody doing anything on offense. To me, thats coaching. The talent is there, now develop them.

16 hours ago, bruceb said:

This quote sums a lot up for me:

"Only the most obtuse would try to argue that the Browns have not added talent the past two offseasons, yet the product on the field remains a mess. It is hard to imagine how a team can’t find a way to fall into more than one win in the past 26 outings, but that is the situation they find themselves and Jackson needs to take the fall."

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/11/19/cleveland-browns-takeaways-jaguars/

IMO, both Jackson and the FO have to take the blame. The talent I am seeing from the last 2 drafts seems to me to lack impact players, which make winning a lot more possible. Anybody can be thrown in to start, but can they really impact a game. Garrett may well develop, but that was an awful easy pick, where is the rest of the meat????

15 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is on the coaching. I could argue the front office has done a solid job of drafting. Especially on defense.

The Browns currently rank #8th in total defense and #1 in the NFL against the run in YPC.  The defense this season is officially a top 10 unit in the NFL. In 2 years of drafting and FA.

Now the problem comes on the offensive side of the ball. They have invested tons of draft picks into the WR/TE position and you cant tell me one of those 6 guys cant become a good NFL target. I put that on coaching. Greg WIlliams has developed his talent with Shelton, Ogunjobi, Garrett, Nassib, Coley, Ogbah, BBC, Kindred, and Peppers. Hue has not developed a single player on the offensive side of the football or put anybody in the position to succeed with playcalling after drafting 6 pass catchers and a QB in 2 years. Our offense is anemic.

Thats where think this is on coaching more than the FO. The FO has drafted all sorts of guys on offense and none of them are making an impact. We see everybody taking flight on the defensive side of the ball and nobody doing anything on offense. To me, thats coaching. The talent is there, now develop them.

The trouble with this thinking is, teams come to Cleveland or at their own field, thinking a win is in the bag without even trying. They play us with zero emotion and with little real effort, so our defensive stats can be quite misleading. We will not know how good our defense really is until we pose a real threat to beat somebody every game. Until then, it is all up in the air how decent we are???

3 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

The trouble with this thinking is, teams come to Cleveland or at their own field, thinking a win is in the bag without even trying. They play us with zero emotion and with little real effort, so our defensive stats can be quite misleading. We will not know how good our defense really is until we pose a real threat to beat somebody every game. Until then, it is all up in the air how decent we are???

I think its a little more complicated than 'the other teams not even trying'. The Browns have been in a bunch of games against really good teams. The Steelers looked like they were trying, so did the Lions and the Jags. It comes down to our offense being hot garbage with no identity. It looks like there is no system for the players to buy into and I dont see any patterns week to week. Thats on coaching.

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think its a little more complicated than 'the other teams not even trying'. The Browns have been in a bunch of games against really good teams. The Steelers looked like they were trying, so did the Lions and the Jags. It comes down to our offense being hot garbage with no identity. It looks like there is no system for the players to buy into and I dont see any patterns week to week. Thats on coaching.

But you look at who put this offense together?  The FO did.  Hue didn't draft a bunch of low round WR's like Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins.  Hue didn't sign Kenny Britt.  Hue didn't go get Sammie Coats.  These guys look like hot trash.  Go ahead and say it's coaching.  I disagree.  I would like to see if they will make an impact on another team with better coaching, or are they more likely to be out of the league?  I would guess the latter.  The FO drafted a third round QB in one year, and a second round QB the second year of operations.  They had no veteran leadership at that position, not to mention passing up some studs in the last two drafts.  If Hue is to blame for that, on top of the horrid coaching???  Well yes...he needs to be gone immediately. 

To be fair....Zimmer has done a fabulous job with lots of backups playing in Minnesota.  I believe a lot of that IS coaching, but I also believe the guys they have are more talented than ours.

3 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

But you look at who put this offense together?  The FO did.  Hue didn't draft a bunch of low round WR's like Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins.  Hue didn't sign Kenny Britt.  Hue didn't go get Sammie Coats.  These guys look like hot trash.  Go ahead and say it's coaching.  I disagree.  I would like to see if they will make an impact on another team with better coaching, or are they more likely to be out of the league?  I would guess the latter.  The FO drafted a third round QB in one year, and a second round QB the second year of operations.  They had no veteran leadership at that position, not to mention passing up some studs in the last two drafts.  If Hue is to blame for that, on top of the horrid coaching???  Well yes...he needs to be gone immediately. 

To be fair....Zimmer has done a fabulous job with lots of backups playing in Minnesota.  I believe a lot of that IS coaching, but I also believe the guys they have are more talented than ours.

I think there is enough blame to go around on both the HC and the FO. Neither, it seems to me, has done much of a job in rebuilding this team to where it is competitive? Every facet of this organization is below standard, clearly seen by our record, a historical worse over a 2 year period.

Successful franchises start with a solid owner who hires a solid FO and they in turn, hire a solid HC and  scouting department. As far as I can see, we start with an inept owner, who has no idea how to hire a competent FO, who in turn, have no idea how to rebuild a franchise and hired an incompetent HC. As for our scouting department, I'm not seeing a whole lot of real success coming from their drafts, which again, explains the worst 2 year record in the history of the NFL. Can it get any worse???

Unfortunately it can, we could see paying fans not buy season tickets = millions in lost revenue = the possibility of moving the franchise!!! This is the risk in keeping the HC and FO in place, any further failure and it could be over for Cleveland, because the ticket buying fan will be reduced significantly. Bring in a Peyton and a new HC  plus a 1st round QB and the fans will stick it out for at least 3 more years to see if works, but G.D help us if it doesn't!!!

The good = Haslam being forced to sell the franchise, the new owner being a solid one committed to Cleveland and all is well!!!  

On 11/24/2017 at 10:27 PM, Iamcanadian said:

I think there is enough blame to go around on both the HC and the FO. Neither, it seems to me, has done much of a job in rebuilding this team to where it is competitive? Every facet of this organization is below standard, clearly seen by our record, a historical worse over a 2 year period.

Successful franchises start with a solid owner who hires a solid FO and they in turn, hire a solid HC and  scouting department. As far as I can see, we start with an inept owner, who has no idea how to hire a competent FO, who in turn, have no idea how to rebuild a franchise and hired an incompetent HC. As for our scouting department, I'm not seeing a whole lot of real success coming from their drafts, which again, explains the worst 2 year record in the history of the NFL. Can it get any worse???

Unfortunately it can, we could see paying fans not buy season tickets = millions in lost revenue = the possibility of moving the franchise!!! This is the risk in keeping the HC and FO in place, any further failure and it could be over for Cleveland, because the ticket buying fan will be reduced significantly. Bring in a Peyton and a new HC  plus a 1st round QB and the fans will stick it out for at least 3 more years to see if works, but G.D help us if it doesn't!!!

The good = Haslam being forced to sell the franchise, the new owner being a solid one committed to Cleveland and all is well!!!  

I agree it starts at the top with Haslam, and he's done the organization (and us fans) no favors with his bumbling itchy trigger finger and horrible front office hires. This seems to be the most promising F.O. to date, but for every decent move they make (drafting guys like Ogbah, Garrett, getting a 2nd for taking on Osweiler) they shoot themselves in the foot for no reason (cutting Haden, trading D Davis for a guy who didn't even make the team, passing on franchise QBs, failing to effectively address the WR position). Truly perplexing. I thought it couldn't get worse than Randy Lerner, but it's stayed at least as bad. 

I'm in favor of giving the rebuild another year, and making Hue hire an offensive coordinator who calls the plays FFS. We were left in such appalling shape by Ray Farmers atrocious drafts, and can't blow it up every two years, that's one of the reasons we're in this boat.

On 11/24/2017 at 12:18 PM, Iamcanadian said:

I can't get behind this logic b/c that should go both ways for the offense & defense; if teams were mailing it in expecting a win against us, why didn't our offense look better with the extra opportunities given by other teams not trying as hard?

Archived