Post Game Thoughts. Steelers.

cconocool

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think they were considering Cole at guard already which made it easier to move Udoh. If they put Udoh right back at guard once Darrisaw is healthy. The move makes a lot less sense

Cole is worth extending for awhile. I’m pretty impressed by Bradbury since he came back. Pretty weird and not sure what to attribute it to. Where does Wyatt Davis ever get a chance is a question I’m pondering. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Cole is worth extending for awhile. I’m pretty impressed by Bradbury since he came back. Pretty weird and not sure what to attribute it to. Where does Wyatt Davis ever get a chance is a question I’m pondering. 

He competes and gets better. I I don’t think that Cole  is going to command a large contract, so he will be a good value starter, and excellent value depth if Davis overtakes him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

I'd like to see how they do against better competition first

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He competes and gets better. I I don’t think that Cole  is going to command a large contract, so he will be a good value starter, and excellent value depth if Davis overtakes him.

I’m fine with bringing him back, continuity is good along the OL. Cole, Bradbury and Davis can compete at C and RG. Udoh can be the backup at Tackle and Guard.

Im just a bit hesitant putting anymore money into the offense given the state of the defense. Conklin is another player that would be nice to bring back if the price is right just don’t want to overpay. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

"no starter inside Pro Football Focus’ top 60 cornerbacks. Peterson ranks the highest at No. 68, followed by Bashaud Breeland, ranked 114th, and Mackensie Alexander at 117th of 118-graded cornerbacks this season."

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/patrick-peterson-dallas-cowboys-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR0n13xvM6EIasWAr5tYLRDhlEj2o4juEzQkweudRzQf5Av5rzDBA28rfVY

And apparently Peterson is close to wanting out after this year as well.  Those CB rankings though are awful, but no surprise based on how they have played this year, all of that and they still lead the league in sacks by quite a bit!  Before the season if you would have told me the Vikings would lead the league in sacks and Hunter has not played pretty much half of the season I would have never believed you.  I had expectations for this DL and based on leading the league in sacks with the injuries they have had, that is outstanding but clearly they are sacrificing winning and proper defensive balance for stats.  

Still one would think pressure on the QB would make coverage easier but clearly the confidence of these corners is kind of shot, lost a ton of contested catches against the Steelers.

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

"no starter inside Pro Football Focus’ top 60 cornerbacks. Peterson ranks the highest at No. 68, followed by Bashaud Breeland, ranked 114th, and Mackensie Alexander at 117th of 118-graded cornerbacks this season."

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/patrick-peterson-dallas-cowboys-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR0n13xvM6EIasWAr5tYLRDhlEj2o4juEzQkweudRzQf5Av5rzDBA28rfVY

And apparently Peterson is close to wanting out after this year as well.  Those CB rankings though are awful, but no surprise based on how they have played this year, all of that and they still lead the league in sacks by quite a bit!  Before the season if you would have told me the Vikings would lead the league in sacks and Hunter has not played pretty much half of the season I would have never believed you.  I had expectations for this DL and based on leading the league in sacks with the injuries they have had, that is outstanding but clearly they are sacrificing winning and proper defensive balance for stats.  

Still one would think pressure on the QB would make coverage easier but clearly the confidence of these corners is kind of shot, lost a ton of contested catches against the Steelers.

He wants to play for the Cowboys, that’s the extent of it.

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He wants to play for the Cowboys, that’s the extent of it.

Really doubt that happens, they have Diggs at one corner, Anthony Brown at the other and Lewis in the slot who is decent.  Also drafted Kelvin Joseph who has amazing upside and Nahshon Wright who has great size for the position.

Either way doubt he is back for the Vikings along with Breeland and Woods.  Sucks for all those guys to be on such short contracts but clearly none have played up to it, sure Peterson has been ok but not worth 8 mil he is getting.  He wanted to rejuvenate his career and not sure he has done that exactly, has looked good at times though but that is because the other corners on the team have been so bad.  

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m indifferent on Peterson returning but would only do a one year deal. Realistically, this team needs replace Alexander and Breeland, Dantzler and Boyd aren’t good at all either. Peterson is somewhat serviceable.

I’d bring back Peterson on another 1 year deal. Although I’m not sure he’d come back if Zimmer is gone. That’s why he came here.

Alexander and Breeland are gone. 

I still have some hope for Dantzler. I’d like to see what he could do with some different coaching. He got some high praise in training camp as a rookie from Thielen, and he played very well in the second half of his rookie year. I’m hoping that this is just a “sophomore slump” so to speak. 

Id bring back Boyd, too. At least to training camp. He is getting better as a CB, and like Dantzler, I’d like to see what some different coaching could do. But more importantly, Boyd is really good in special teams. 

But, CB is easily the biggest need heading into the offseason. Likely need two, if not three starters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d bring back Peterson on another 1 year deal. Although I’m not sure he’d come back if Zimmer is gone. That’s why he came here.

Alexander and Breeland are gone. 

I still have some hope for Dantzler. I’d like to see what he could do with some different coaching. He got some high praise in training camp as a rookie from Thielen, and he played very well in the second half of his rookie year. I’m hoping that this is just a “sophomore slump” so to speak. 

Id bring back Boyd, too. At least to training camp. He is getting better as a CB, and like Dantzler, I’d like to see what some different coaching could do. But more importantly, Boyd is really good in special teams. 

But, CB is easily the biggest need heading into the offseason. Likely need two, if not three starters. 

I do not hold out that much hope for Dantzler, he has been not great this year and is physically so weak but is still under contract so of course he will be here next year.  Not a great tackler and obviously was a bit overrated in college, I recall he had one game where he was super competitive in a tough matchup against some good receivers, I believe it was his SOPH year.  He is not that competitively tough and in terms of hand fighting and getting his hands on the football he is not that good either.

His former teammate Martin Emerson I would not mind if one just wants a long corner, and unlike Dantzler he can tackle and hit.

Still my favorite right now for the Vikings to get is Sauce Gardner, that or Elam potentially 1st round.  

A CB must be taken in the top 3 rounds. I like Gardner. If don't get a corner in the 1st. I like VT Waller he's skinny but have ball skills which is something Vikings should consider.  I would keep Cam and maybe Boyd. You saw the potential in Cam especially last year. He never shook off the Breeland signing and got in Zim doghouse afterwards. Next year with a possible less complex scheme from Zim or if Zim survives Cam gains another year of experience.   

8 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

A CB must be taken in the top 3 rounds. I like Gardner. If don't get a corner in the 1st. I like VT Waller he's skinny but have ball skills which is something Vikings should consider.  I would keep Cam and maybe Boyd. You saw the potential in Cam especially last year. He never shook off the Breeland signing and got in Zim doghouse afterwards. Next year with a possible less complex scheme from Zim or if Zim survives Cam gains another year of experience.   

MN should probably take 2 in the first three rounds. A DE too. If MN has any bit of cap space to make a FA splurge, a legit starting CB is where that money should be spent. Not even sure who is a FA in 2022.

• Like 1