Post Game Thoughts. Steelers.

cconocool

That's the most disappointing win in recent history.  No, it would not have been the greatest collapse in NFL history, because that's the Frank Reich-led comeback over the Oilers (were down 35-3 in the 3rd quarter), but it was darn close.  That game truly encapsulates everything that is wrong with this team.  

14 hours ago, cconocool said:

The first quarter was great. Great playing calling. Attack the weakness (run stopping of the other team.) Mix in enough passes.

Harrison Smith is awesome. Peterson had a great game as well.

Our O-Line and D-line both looked pretty good, but that is probably a reflection of the Steelers being sub-par this year.

Get rid of Breeland. He stinks. He probably leads the team in INTs, but he still stinks. Dantzler stunk too, but not as bad as Breeland did. Boyd looked good, but he commited a stupid tauting penalty. 

I am not going to blame Zimmer for the Defense's half-time collapses. It seems like the team predictably does two passes and a feeble attempt at running the ball, then punt it over to the other team. NOT GOOD. We shouldn't try to score with less than a minute left in the half. It always backfires.

I won't reprimand Kubiak for passing on third and short in the fourth quarter. It was a toss of whether to run or pass. 

Whose fault is that we cannot run the play with 3-5 seconds left on the playclock? We need to milk the clock more. Expecting 2-3 seconds might be out of reach, but playing the ball with 11 seconds seems like a terrible opportunity to dwindle the clock down.

Draft Thoughts- Trade a 1st next year for Tomlin? 

We should draft a replacement for Barr next year. The LB corp looked decent this game, but Barr is too expensive and cannot stay on the field. Use a 1st (depending on who falls) or 2nd.

I agree Harrison Smith played arguably the best game he has played all season.  Wish he would play like that consistently, which he has not this year.  Love him around the line of scrimmage, I wish they would put him in as the 3rd LB instead of Vigil sometimes and let him roam and then put Bynum back at safety.

Breeland is better than Dantzler, and was sick apparently mid game and should never have come back in but since Boyd and Dantzler where not doing much he was put back in.  He did get a great INT and puts up more of a fight than Dantzler does in the run game.

I would take Mike Tomlin in a second if he was fired by the Steelers.  He would be the best head coach with experience to come available in the NFL in a pretty long time.  Doubt he is fired though but yeah of course he would do a better job overall than Zimmer has in terms of leadership and Tomlin has more of a competitive pulse on his team than Zimmer seems to have right now.  

Replace Barr of course considering the time he misses but Barr also played arguably his best game of the season as well.  Where this energy and aggressive tackling has been from Harrison Smith and Anthony Barr I have no idea.  But sure he is hard to keep getting hurt that much but Kendricks is also getting hurt pretty consistently now a days as well.

Also people can rip on Udoh all they want, in the run game Udoh is better at LT than at OG, he opened up some huge holes and really held the edge in the run game.  Sure pass pro is an issue but at least at OT it takes longer for the defender to get to the QB, Udoh at OG the play is blew up instantly because the penetration against him is instant at times with a good pass rush move.  Wish O'Neill could move to LT and Udoh RT but clearly Darrisaw is the LT most likely and Udoh is not a terrible backup option.

And if anyone should get praise for his play against the Steelers it is Brandel as the backup TE and blocking jumbo TE.  He did a great job and was a huge reason for the success running the ball.  Great move doing that and should see more of that moving forward.  Is a dead obvious running play with him in but it improves protection and helps the run game greatly.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

When is Darrisaw coming back?

I have doubts that he'll be back anytime soon. Maybe not this year. If the team thought it was just a week or two I would think that they would simply replace Darrisaw with Hill.  The drastic change they made doesn't seem likely to be because they thought they would undo it in a couple weeks.

The Vikings under coach Zimmer have  a history of pretending injuries are much more mild than they really are. Sometimes, it is something that ends a guys career like Shareef Floyd that the Vikings will call week-to-week. I hope Darrisaw's career isn't over. I don't think that it is, but the way things are run I can't completely disregard the possibility.

I really hope the 10 day break between games is all that Darrisaw needs. But none of us knows that it will be.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I have doubts that he'll be back anytime soon. Maybe not this year. If the team thought it was just a week or two I would think that they would simply replace Darrisaw with Hill.  The drastic change they made doesn't seem likely to be because they thought they would undo it in a couple weeks.

The Vikings under coach Zimmer have  a history of pretending injuries are much more mild than they really are. Sometimes, it is something that ends a guys career like Shareef Floyd that the Vikings will call week-to-week. I hope Darrisaw's career isn't over. I don't think that it is, but the way things are run I can't completely disregard the possibility.

I really hope the 10 day break between games is all that Darrisaw needs. But none of us knows that it will be.

This seems like an Evel Kneivel sized jump to conclusion...

It's an ankle injury. Nothing about Darrisaw's medical history suggested he had some sort of degenerative ankle issue. Nothing about the injury that happened in the game suggested it was anything remotely close to career ending. If it required surgery, they would have put him on IR by now. Unless they're going to amputate, he'll be back. 

Trying Udoh at LT is an acknowledgment of just how terrible Hill was when he was out there, as well as a desire to put our best five healthy guys out there on the line (maybe Davis is one of those, but we have no evidence on tape or practice reports suggesting he's there yet). Udoh has been a downgrade from Darrisaw, and that's to be expected. But the combination of Bradbury and Cole has been significantly better than the combinations of Cole/Udoh and Bradbury/Udoh. Overall, the effect on the line seems to be a net positive. Frankly, I think Udoh should be the backup lineman once Darrisaw is healthy. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

This seems like an Evel Kneivel sized jump to conclusion...

It's an ankle injury. Nothing about Darrisaw's medical history suggested he had some sort of degenerative ankle issue. Nothing about the injury that happened in the game suggested it was anything remotely close to career ending. If it required surgery, they would have put him on IR by now. Unless they're going to amputate, he'll be back. 

Trying Udoh at LT is an acknowledgment of just how terrible Hill was when he was out there, as well as a desire to put our best five healthy guys out there on the line (maybe Davis is one of those, but we have no evidence on tape or practice reports suggesting he's there yet). Udoh has been a downgrade from Darrisaw, and that's to be expected. But the combination of Bradbury and Cole has been significantly better than the combinations of Cole/Udoh and Bradbury/Udoh. Overall, the effect on the line seems to be a net positive. Frankly, I think Udoh should be the backup lineman once Darrisaw is healthy. 

Yeah if Darrisaw comes back no way they put Udoh back at guard, it is Cole's spot based on how he has played which is not a huge surprise, he is a better guard than center, I never though coming out of Michigan he was a better center than OG, even played some OT which I feel he could be better at that than center as well.  Udoh in specific run plays is great though, maybe if Udoh is a backup they could use him like Brandel as a jumbo TE and really crush dudes out there.