Week 15: Packers @ Ravens. POSTGAME: Packers WIN 31-30, Improve to 11-3 & win the NFC North Title!

FAH1223

9 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

What was up with the OLB losing contain all the damn time? That was just bizarre how they never corrected that pass rush. Was the gameplan to try to stop the inside run no matter the cost? I'm confused how we have two great run defending OLBs and didn't play more of a contain the QB style. 

Agree, that was bizarre.  Usually Gary is pretty wide with his approach.  

I'm no expert, so I'd love to have somebody smart explain it better?  But to my amateur view, it seems like there's some lose-lose. 

1. Without Clark, you are vulnerable to the inside run game.  Barry recently said that defense starts with stopping the run.  So, maybe that was semi-intentional?
  2. Huntley is a young quarterback.  If you'd asked me before the game, I'd have thought it wise to prioritize pressure, even with some risks assocaited.  Maybe the thought was that risking the occasional 8-yard run, ala Fields, that's the price you pay for applying pressure, and it's an acceptable price? 
  3. Yesterday was GB's first win without the benefit of an INT. Perhaps pressuring Huntley, getting him uncomfortable and scrambling, was what they wanted, figuring that might induce an ill-considered INT that they normally need to win?  
  4. If the o-line is blocking such that inside is the lane to pressure, what's the best choice?  Sacrifice pressure to sustain scramble-contain?  Or take the inside pathways to provide the pressure, at the risk of some outside-scramble?  
  5. There's also perhaps a thought that an outside-scramble run is perhaps a little easier to chase and limit than an inside scramble?  You've got time to limit the gains on those outside scrambles, because it takes a while to get from the deep pocket, get around the front defenders, and get back to the LOS. 
  6. I was kinda stunned that it took so long for the defense to chase over to the outside and seal him off.  I'd be curious to get thoughts why?  Obviously Andrews absorbed attention away from Huntley.  Barnes is slow to the boundaries.  MLF and Gray prioritize deep coverage to prevent over-the-top completions.  And Baltimore's offensive scheme intentionally tries to vacate the outside-scramble areas. 

But yeah, it was kinda weird how it happened repeatedly but the OLB didn't seem to make much adjustment to contain.  And either Barry didn't assign or Campbell didn't execute the spy role.  

3 minutes ago, craig said:

But yeah, it was kinda weird how it happened repeatedly but the OLB didn't seem to make much adjustment to contain.  And either Barry didn't assign or Campbell didn't execute the spy role.  

It wasn't every play, but I did see Campbell line up and help double cover Andrews a lot in the second half.

I didn't really see us "spy" too much at all.

It seemed like we had a safety deep to take away the deep ball to Hollywood (which worked).  We tried singling up Andrews in the first half and he beat Savage like a drum.

So, we then did different thing to more or less double Andrews in the second half.  And we didn't do them particularly well at times.  But when it mattered most, we got it done.

I think sometimes you gotta tip your hat to a player, coach and team.  Huntley, Harbaugh and the Ravens.  

Huntley looked much better in this start than Love did in his.  Different offense for sure, but Huntley looks like he has a future.  

And no doubt we missed Kenny up the middle.  Maybe we do rush wide if we had a push inside.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This throw is just __________________. 

Is that throw much different than the one he hit for a TD with Tonyan early in the year?

If a defender turns his back, Rodgers has zero fear of trying to fit it in there.

And this showed a lot of trust in MVS, which I was loving big time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

It wasn't every play, but I did see Campbell line up and help double cover Andrews a lot in the second half.

I didn't really see us "spy" too much at all.

It seemed like we had a safety deep to take away the deep ball to Hollywood (which worked).  We tried singling up Andrews in the first half and he beat Savage like a drum.

So, we then did different thing to more or less double Andrews in the second half.  And we didn't do them particularly well at times.  But when it mattered most, we got it done.

I think sometimes you gotta tip your hat to a player, coach and team.  Huntley, Harbaugh and the Ravens.  

Huntley looked much better in this start than Love did in his.  Different offense for sure, but Huntley looks like he has a future.  

And no doubt we missed Kenny up the middle.  Maybe we do rush wide if we had a push inside.

This was not Huntley’s first start, he’s had action in 4 games this year and has played well when given his opportunity. I watched him in the 4th q last week and it was apparent he was not just a set of wheels but was making reads and could get the ball out. Great pick up for them from a team that values multiple draft picks and priority free agents even more than GB. Good strategy if you trust your scouts, get as many bites off the apple as you can and replenish positions with youngercheaper guys that   you picked up and developed for the system. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Rodgers doesn't overthrow Lazard....Second string quarterback Huntley with no running game outside himself and no passing game outside of Andrews.....Other than choking in Detroit, Arizona travels well and TB knows they can win in Lambeau.......

After watching the Bucs get shut out by the Taysom Hill lead Saints team at home we can't say Tampa is this unstoppable force this time around.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

It's certainly going to be something that's raised tomorrow on First Take and Undisputed.

To be honest I myself have to be careful about dumping on head coaches who go for 2 near the end of regulation when only needing 1 to tie because I was in the camp of wanting us to go for 2 in the 2015 playoff game in Arizona.

Yeah I don't know.  Harbaugh probably should know that even if he makes that 2 pointer, 42 seconds is plenty of time for Rodgers to get us in FG range as he did it in even less time in the SF game.  On the other hand, Crosby has had a tough year and you definitely have a real possibility he shanks it with that kind of pressure on his head.

The downside I've always hated about playing for OT is having a coin toss decide things, and the potential that if you lose it your offense may never get the ball.

Let's say we go into OT and we win the toss but don't score.  The Ravens have the best kicker in the league and can hit 'em from over 55 yards.  What Harbaugh told his defense is he didn't trust them to stop Rodgers and company even tho they just did.  Our OL is being held together by duct tape and baling wire.  With that situation is isn't a given Rodgers is gonna march down and get into FG range with 40 seconds.  Plus Crosby has the yips this year.  Thank goodness our D came thru on that 2 point conversion.  

15 hours ago, craig said:

I'm not expert analyst, and maybe MLF's film review will conclude otherwise.  But I thought Dennis Kelly looked pretty vulnerable in pass protection.  

The hypothetical return of Bakhti might be more urgent/important than I'd appreciated before tonight.  

Kelly is a huge human being but his feet seem like they are set in cement.  Speedy rushers will always give him fits.

I half expect Huntley to get a huge contract after his rookie deal expires, and most likely with a different team.  Or not, who knows.  He’s been successful at every level.

The lack of defensive adjustments in this game is mind-boggling.  Re-watching the game as we speak, and just focusing on the defense is making me salty.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

After watching the Bucs get shut out by the Taysom Hill lead Saints team at home we can't say Tampa is this unstoppable force this time around.

didn't the Bucs get beat like 40 - 7 or something by the Saints last year?  For whatever reason the Saints own the Bucs.  Unfortunately their offense just got turnover prone in the playoff matchup otherwise they'd be 5-0 against the Brady led bucs.