Week 15: Packers @ Ravens. POSTGAME: Packers WIN 31-30, Improve to 11-3 & win the NFC North Title!

FAH1223

4 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

They are the defending champions though until somebody knocks them off....

They are last year's champion, a great achievement, but irrelevant in regards to this season. Winning or losing this season is all that matters, no extra points awarded, no special seeding, no home field advantage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

No question but are they as formidable as they were last year?  I have my doubts, that's all.

They weren't even super-formidable last year, they were 11-5, had 3 competitive playoff games vs the NFC, and ran into two teams whose weaknesses due to injury (OL) dovetailed perfectly with their strength (front 7) in the NFCCG and SB. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Thoughts on Mark Andrews taking Savage to school? He got continuously beat like a drum. 

I know MA is a good tight end but damn that was embarrassing. 

Well, “beaten like a drum” is pure hyperbole. There were three high profile misses:  

the first, he thought he could get a PBU and missed by a hair. This left him in bad position to make the tackle. 

the second, he kept up with him perfectly, but completely misplayed it. Kinda confirmed what we already knew: he doesn’t always react well when the ball’s in the air. 

the third, Andrews clearly got away with a push off and made a very nice catch.  I don’t know how they are coached to deal with that without resorting to grabbing, but maybe he could have played it better.

I’ve never really seen MA before, do opponents regularly just let him go 1 on 1 with a safety?  Based on his numbers, I’d guess he usually gets more attention. Is this a Barry failure?  Maybe, but I wouldn’t get too critical there either, like I said, two of those plays were near-misses so maybe his faith wasn’t that unfounded, and he did adjust in the second half. 

Edited by mikebpackfan

8 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

They weren't even super-formidable last year, they were 11-5, had 3 competitive playoff games vs the NFC, and ran into two teams whose weaknesses due to injury (OL) dovetailed perfectly with their strength (front 7) in the NFCCG and SB. 

Yep! They also got hot at the right time. That defense was what carried them to the Super Bowl, not Brady. 

27 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Thoughts on Mark Andrews taking Savage to school? He got continuously beat like a drum. 

85 catches and 1062 yards.  8 TD's.

Andrews is flat out balling this year.

This wasn't even quite his highest game totals of the year.  The other huge game came against Indy, who has a very good defense.

I wouldn't read much into it, it being the continuous beating of Savage.

I thought we decided to keep a safety near to Brown so he couldn't get loose deep.  Then we played zone across the field and lurked Savage to Andrews.  Andrews just whipped him.

Then we started doubling Andrews and more or less keeping Stokes 1:1 with Brown.  Even then, Andrews got a few catches.

Dudes just a very good player having an outstanding season.

23 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I wonder how much of that was Savage's fault?  I didn't see some of the 3rd quarter, so didn't see all the plays.  And the game flew by, so not sure I remember it all. 

• But, Andrews made a couple of really, really good (and difficult) catches, IIRC?  Savage was on him, but a good throw and a good catch, what can you do?
  • Andrews has 6 inches and 60 pounds on Savage. He's way bigger, and can box Savage out, and can reach places Savage can't.  And IIRC, a couple of the throws were pretty precise.  Savage can't be on both Andrews' right side and his left.  So even if he's right on one hip, Andrews is so much bigger that if the ball is well placed to the other side, I'm not sure what Savage can do, without some help.  
  • I believe on a back-of-the-end-zone TD, Savage was right on him.  But Andrews game a little push and broke the other way.  It didn't look like a huge or flagrant push, but when Andrews is SO much bigger, it doesn't take that much of a hand in Savage's chest to create some clearance.  

Not sure how to process it.  Andrews is REALLY good.  Huntley made him some excellent throws.  Not sure Barry putting Savage 1-on-1 on Andrews is the best matchup.  

On the 2-point to Andrews that did NOT succeed, that was NOT a well-thrown ball by Huntley.  Had he not thrown it behind Andrews, that could have been another clutch catch.  I did wonder whether a side-line pass was the best call in that situation?  It gave Huntley the opportunity to buy time and roll out.  But in a sense, the Packers didn't need to cover the outside because the boundary was doing so.  I almost wonder if Andrews would have been better served to be more inside.  If Savage is on left hip, Huntley could throw towards the right, and vice versa.  Plus with Andrews pulling traffic over there, *IF* Huntley had elected to cut it upfield and try to dive it in himself, there were defenders in the end-zone who might have hypothetically been able explode forward and hit him before he got in.  If Andrews had pulled the traffic more inside, Huntley might have had better choice between run or pass, depending.  

On 12/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, Refugee said:

The one thing I’ll say, Huntley was slightly off on a few of the throws just before that so maybe don’t rely on him to make the connection.  In general, I feel like coach just said, I’m playing with my back up so we’ll roll the dice and say we out performed all expectations either way. They would have been in great shape in the AFC is they had stolen that one, though. 

I thought he would run it in to be honest - I had their chance of converting it and therefore probably winning the game better than 50/50

Ravens came into the game ravaged by injuries with a backup QB and up against a QB who could well end winning his second MVP in a row and had shredded your defence. Up against all that and you have a better than 50/50 chance to win - for me going for it is an easy a decision as there is.

I've a lot of sympathy for play callers because if you call a play that has a 90% chance of working then that still means there is a 10% chance it wont.  That 10% of the time it doesn't the people watching on TV will call it a bad play choice.  Its pretty much always the way everyone just judges on the result.

1 hour ago, craig said:

On the 2-point to Andrews that did NOT succeed, that was NOT a well-thrown ball by Huntley.  Had he not thrown it behind Andrews, that could have been another clutch catch.  I did wonder whether a side-line pass was the best call in that situation?  It gave Huntley the opportunity to buy time and roll out.  But in a sense, the Packers didn't need to cover the outside because the boundary was doing so.  I almost wonder if Andrews would have been better served to be more inside.  If Savage is on left hip, Huntley could throw towards the right, and vice versa.  Plus with Andrews pulling traffic over there, *IF* Huntley had elected to cut it upfield and try to dive it in himself, there were defenders in the end-zone who might have hypothetically been able explode forward and hit him before he got in.  If Andrews had pulled the traffic more inside, Huntley might have had better choice between run or pass, depending.  

I think Stokes was on Andrews on the two point conversion.  They lined him up out wide.

Savage was our lone safety.  As the ball snapped, Savage sprinted to Andrews, no hesitation.  All gas, no brake.  And he just barely got a finger on the ball.  Stokes seemed to try to take away the fade and Savage was coming to try to stop the slant or the box out.

Huntley missed Hollywood in the back of the end zone in the area that Savage vacated.

As the play was setting up, I thought for sure Andrews would cross Stokes' face on a very quick slant.  Was actually happy when he didn't.

10 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I'd argue they became pretty close to formidable through the play of their front 4, especially JPP and Barrett. As we have seen year after year after year from SB champions, there is nothing more devastating that a pass rush from a front 4 that simply wrecks the game. TB had that down the stretch last year. Yes, I know the Packers and Chiefs had injuries at OT but those teams did just fine against other teams (Packers shut out the Rams' front with Turner/Wagner, etc.). The Bucs' front 4 just got on one down the stretch and it won them the SB.