Week 16: Browns @ Packers on Christmas Day - POSTGAME: Packers WIN 24-22! Improve to 12-3!

FAH1223

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

This true @AlexGreen#20?

Yes, but that's not surprising. 

His issue has never been physical ability. It's always been the mental mistakes. 

He's getting better about not screwing up the assignments.

The offense is playing more conservative so we're staying out of 3rd and long pressure package situations. Less 3rd and 6+, more 3rd and 3.

Defenses are playing with backups so they're ability to bring the exotic blitzes are somewhat limited in that regard. 

18 hours ago, Gharmon said:

We also just faced two elite running teams. I feel the running game versus the browns was okay till we let it get close. If our offense keeps doing what it's supposed to we make teams play catch up. That plays right into what we want to do

Yes, if we can get a decent lead it will force teams to abandon the run.  MLF got a little too cute in that second series and we never got anything going after that mess.

15 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Who's our defensive leader?....What defensive equivalent to AR, is taking it upon themselves the job of holding those around him culpable for their play?....Not necessarily talking about butt chewing, but somebody who sets the tone for those around him?....Reggie White and Charles Woodsen were good examples of this type of leadership....

Last year it appeared to be Z so his absence and leadership is missing for sure.

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

That's because MLF/Rodgers choose not to play offense in the 4th quarter. The pattern is set. Start slow and fall behind early. Catch up in the second quarter. Go into halftime with the score about even. Come out in the third quarter and take a comfortable lead. Play conservative offense in the 4th quarter and rely on the defense to hold the lead. They're essentially not playing for points in the 4th quarter, but rather they're playing for minutes off the clock. I wish they wouldn't do that. It's been hard on my heart! 

Maybe that's because, with Cobb, Tonyan, and MVS out, they were essentially playing with Adams, and Lazard as receiving threats. That has to be taking a toll on play selection. When Cobb and MVS return, I think the offense will start to cook again.

Are they expecting Cobb to be back for the playoffs?

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Don't know. He had surgery on a core muscle injury. It's possible.

I'll be pretty surprised if Cobb isn't ready for the first playoff game. Looks like he's ahead of schedule in his rehab and has about 6 weeks to recover. Cobb is also a pretty fast healer judging by his injury history with us.

6 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

MLF is uniquely human as a head coach. Would love to see this style lead to a championship. He seems to make for a good role model.

I like coach a lot for what he shows as a person and the game plans he’s come up with. I’d like to see what he can do with a young, non HOF QB, or maybe I wouldn’t. He has jumped right into the driver’s seat of a high powered vehicle and done well. His real legacy will come when he has to drive something he builds from the ground up. I don’t know when that time will come but it might not be too far away. 

27 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I like coach a lot for what he shows as a person and the game plans he’s come up with. I’d like to see what he can do with a young, non HOF QB, or maybe I wouldn’t. He has jumped right into the driver’s seat of a high powered vehicle and done well. His real legacy will come when he has to drive something he builds from the ground up. I don’t know when that time will come but it might not be too far away. 

MLF will also be very dependent on what Gutekunst supplies him. After a decent (but not spectacular) start, Gute has knocked it out of the park with his acquisitions. Long may it continue. Is he due a best GM award ?

I'd also like to know how much of the overall influence on results is down to La Fleur, how much is the co-ordinators and position coaches, and how much the players. (For example, 35% team, 30% La Fleur, 20% co-ordinators, 15% position coaches). Realistically, it's one of those things I'll never know. La Fleur's influence would be pretty hard to pigeonhole anyway, as he affects players and co-ords and position coaches in ways that are very difficult to determine. All you can really do is base his 'score' mostly on results, modified a little by what you see/read/absorb from the media.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

On the game-ending no call: you could (and I've seen people) make the argument that DPJ pushed-off before the jersey tug and ran into RD, so the no-call was the right call in that scenario. When there's offsetting penalties, you either call both or call neither, as they say. I don't know that I agree with it as it's not uncommon for opposing players to lock arms when going for the ball and OPI is (almost?) never called unless it's a full-arm extension, but I've seen people make the argument online, and not just Packer fans.

The first RD INT WAS illegal contact, though and should've been a free play.