How long do you give the Giants until they're a legitimate title contender?

notthatbluestuff

8 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Ever the wild-eyed optimist, I say the NYGs can win the NFC-East in 2022 if they get lucky in the draft, scoring a generational OT and franchise QB with their first two picks.  A few mock drafts I've seen have them doing exactly that.  As for the Super Bowl, history shows that once the NYGs are in the playoffs all bets are off.

Russell Wilson should be on the table for a potential trade. 

15 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

You can do as you like, sir. I've already upset one mod today and I have no wish to upset another. 

New York is a baseball town still. Mets and Yankees still dominate the landscape, especially given what the Mets have done in the off season. Football is just a cherry on top here. The Giants just didn’t replenish enough younger fans despite the SB runs which is shocking. I mean, the Jets have a younger and more enthusiastic fan base which is saying a lot. But by in large, NYers can stick to their baseball all year long and be happy (lockout aside).

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Not happening…

Honestly you just can’t trust their current offensive nucleus to be on the field together. They are just never, EVER, healthy. Are they really going to try and go all in with this group next year? It would be comical, but what’s more ridiculous is going all in with Russell Wilson.

I think Wilson goes with the Steelers or Broncos. Can’t see them moving him to another team in the NFC.

When is the next Olympics? 😂

Seriously, they need to fire Gettleman, keep Judge, bring in a legit OC and go hard after Russ. Go get a great strength and conditioning coach bc health has not been on their side. If the OL can stay healthy along with Barkley, Galladay, Toney, Engram, and Shepard they have the pieces on offense that Russ could turn into a top 10 offense. Defense plays really well so it could be a top 10 defense as well. If they can do that this offseason they will be legit title contenders as soon as next season. 

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

New York is a baseball town still. Mets and Yankees still dominate the landscape, especially given what the Mets have done in the off season. Football is just a cherry on top here. The Giants just didn’t replenish enough younger fans despite the SB runs which is shocking. I mean, the Jets have a younger and more enthusiastic fan base which is saying a lot. But by in large, NYers can stick to their baseball all year long and be happy (lockout aside).

New York is an everything town, the team just needs to win to get the city behind it.

2 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

New York is an everything town, the team just needs to win to get the city behind it.

Therein lies the problem. The Yankees never have a prolonged losing streak. They've had consecutive winning records for how long now? There just isn't another American sports franchise that is comparable, in that they are expected to win a WS every 4-5 years. The Cowboys and Lakers don't even have those expectations (because of salary cap restrictions of most notably). 

Now the Mets may at least fall into the same category from a payroll standpoint. It is going to be very difficult for NYG to re-capture the city's imagination again. If two SBs didn't bring sustained interest what will? Giants are quickly becoming an afterthought. Obviously football is still king, but with the amount of damage Gettleman and Mara have done recently, it's going to be a very, VERY long time until the Giants are relevant on the national stage again. It's clear the most passionate fanbase and fastest growing following in the division is Philly at the moment, and they've grown their brand by some margin nationally, comparable to what WFT and NYG used to be. Cowboys are still king, but have plateaued in the last several years or so.

I think Mara needs to take a back seat, and Snyder needs to sell the team. Those are the only way the two franchises can resurrect themselves and the division.

Edited by WheatieMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

If two SBs didn't bring sustained interest what will? Giants are quickly becoming an afterthought. Obviously football is still king, but with the amount of damage Gettleman and Mara have done recently, it's going to be a very, VERY long time until the Giants are relevant on the national stage again. It's clear the most passionate fanbase and fastest growing following in the division is Philly at the moment, and they've grown their brand by some margin nationally, comparable to what WFT and NYG used to be. Cowboys are still king, but have plateaued in the last several years or so.

Two SBs did a lot of good, problem is  a decade of not being a factor and being amongst the worst if not the worst team in the NFL in the last five years has starved and greatly weakened the interest.  However make no mistake this is New York City and the New York market we are talking about when it comes to the Giants. We suck and you have people bitching about how many nationally televised we get, can you imagine the sheer number of nationally televised we would get if we were actual good. If the next GM does not absolutely suck like Gettleman did the Giants will be good again and the interest and passion from the fans will return. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

An intriguing thought. 

The hitch is that I doubt the NYGs will be willing to trade more than the #6 pick they'd use to select from the two or three potential starters that will still be available.  My bet is that, assuming Wilson is 100%, other franchises will offer more than 1 first round pick for him.  I'm not sure any offer will be enough, though.

42 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

An intriguing thought. 

The hitch is that I doubt the NYGs will be willing to trade more than the #6 pick they'd use to select from the two or three potential starters that will still be available.  My bet is that, assuming Wilson is 100%, other franchises will offer more than 1 first round pick for him.  I'm not sure any offer will be enough, though.

Yeah there have been multiple reports that he is interested in playing for the Giants and that they're one of the teams that he would waive his no trade clause for. But as you said if the team has to give up 3 first round picks to acquire him and find a way to fit him under the cap then it limits their ability to improve the offensive line. There are also reports that the 49ers are planning to trade Jimmy G this off-season and from what I've read most have speculated that it would likely cost a 2nd this year and a future 2nd/3rd round pick. 

Joe Judge recently said that they're committed to Daniel Jones going forward but is Judge even going to be the coach for the foreseeable future? But regardless of what the Giants plans are at QB, I think their main goal for this off-season should be to invest heavily into the OL, I'd even double dip with their two first round picks on OL. If they can get better up front, with the weapons that they have they'd become the perfect situation for a QB to step into.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd even double dip with their two first round picks on OL.

You, I, and millions of others have encouraged the NYGs to beef up their OL for decades.  As one of my favorite pundits quipped:  

If OT Evan Neal is available and the Giants don't take him with their first pick the league should step in and force the sale of the franchise.

We have to hope that a 6'7" 360 pound dancing bear will be enough to persuade Gettleman.  Yes, a second consecutive OT would be sensible--there are two good QB prospects who might be available in Round #2--but that might be a bridge too far for Davey G.    (The team also needs a CB2 and a healthy receiver with a work ethic.)

I have had to give up on Danny Dimes.

Contrary to popular opinion the NYGs are not that far below average.

As it stands right now, the Giants have the 5th and 6th picks in the next draft.

If they nail both of those picks and make some smart signings then they can be in contention for a wildcard as early as next season.

Gettleman won't be the guy to do it though. The odds of him picking the 2 best players available at that point is close to zero.

The odds of him picking 2 busts is probably 3 in 10.

Wilson on the Giants is a bad idea IMO.

• He's past his prime (even if he is still very good)
    • 34 is ancient for a guy who's game is all about scrambling 
  • He costs way too much in salary.
  • He will cost way too much in picks.

Rodgers or Wilson to Denver made sense last offseason because Denver was a good team without a QB.

The Giants are a bad team with a bunch of overpaid or about to be free agent players.

28 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

You, I, and millions of others have encouraged the NYGs to beef up their OL for decades.  As one of my favorite pundits quipped:  

We have to hope that a 6'7" 360 pound dancing bear will be enough to persuade Gettleman.  Yes, a second consecutive OT would be sensible--there are two good QB prospects who might be available in Round #2--but that might be a bridge too far for Davey G.    (The team also needs a CB2 and a healthy receiver with a work ethic.)

I have had to give up on Danny Dimes.

Contrary to popular opinion the NYGs are not that far below average.

Giants needs a CB2? Our #2 and #3 DB's are currently hurt but Aaron Robinson has been playing extremely well factoring all the time he has missed and at worst we have Ductape (Julian Love), we are fine in the secondary.

I agree about the healthy wideout, but have not heard anything bad about any Giants wideout work ethic.

This is a question that is basically impossible to answer.

The only thing I can really say is that they aren't going anywhere until they move on from Gettleman, Judge and Daniel Jones. None of those 3 are going to be apart of the next great Football Giants team.

We know how quickly a franchise can be turned around if they hire the right people and draft well. If the Giants tear it all down this year and do everything correctly (And even get a bit lucky), they could an NFC contender as early as 2023.

That's a best case scenario outcome, but you do see it happen.

More realistically you'd probably be looking at 2024/2025 as the first years they could be a top tier team again.

16 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

NY is a bigger hockey town too.