How long do you give the Giants until they're a legitimate title contender?

notthatbluestuff

Since LT retired (maybe even Parcells,) I don't think the Giants have been seriously considered a super bowl contender in any regular season except for 2008.  It's starting to seem like the 80's were the exception to the rule and that the Giants are just a horrible franchise that got lucky in the 80's.  I don't see anything changing while the Maras are in charge, and I see their chances of winning a super bowl in the next 10 years as low as any other teams.  That category could probably include like 8 teams though, seems like there is no shortage of horribly run franchises.  Their last fan appreciation day was a disaster.  NY is the biggest sports market in the US and both their football teams are cementing themselves as two of the worst sports franchises in the US.

33 minutes ago, Jotun_Fan said:

Since LT retired (maybe even Parcells,) I don't think the Giants have been seriously considered a super bowl contender in any regular season except for 2008.  It's starting to seem like the 80's were the exception to the rule and that the Giants are just a horrible franchise that got lucky in the 80's.  I don't see anything changing while the Maras are in charge, and I see their chances of winning a super bowl in the next 10 years as low as any other teams.  That category could probably include like 8 teams though, seems like there is no shortage of horribly run franchises.  Their last fan appreciation day was a disaster.  NY is the biggest sports market in the US and both their football teams are cementing themselves as two of the worst sports franchises in the US.

That's one thing I've noticed with them and the Beara. Outside of the 80s and some years in the 2000s, both teams have been historically average at best since the 1970 merger.

Gettleman was an absolute disaster, Mara should have him investigated for sabotaging the franchise.

His third round picks are a talent graveyard, the ones  he did not throw away in trades or in the supplemental draft.

He has had many chances to draft a player in the first round that could change the direction of the Giants franchise and has missed just about every time.

2018, drafted Saquon saying there were no franchise QB in this draft, when there were at least 1 in Josh Allen and possibly 2 in Lamar Jackson.

2019, It was known that he loved Justin Herbert, when Justin decides he is going to stay his senior year, he makes the exact same mistake in 2018 and does not draft Josh Allen (the Defensive End). Instead he reaches on Daniel Jones with the 6th pick in the draft despite have another 1st round pick later in the draft to try and get Daniel Jones.

2020, This is the year he should have drafted Justin Herbert (I am okay with Andrew Thomas but of course would have preferred to have Herbert).

2021, Dallas and Philly decide to do a trade to deny the Giants Devonta Smith. Gettleman had two chances to get the last laugh. Draft Micah Parsons that would have terrorized both of those franchise for the next decade.  Or he could have kept our most consistent offensive linemen in Zeitler and drafted Rashawn Slater to give the Giants the offensive line he promised us. He strikes out both times and draft a wideout who is to injured to help the team, despite signing a big name free agent who has also been too injured to help the team. 

To finish this off, Gettleman  gave Kyle Rudolph, a washed up over the hill Tight End a nice preliminary contract. In the spring the Giants medical staff discovered Kyle Rudolph had a major leg issue allowing Gettleman to void the contract. Does Gettleman void the contract, does he even try to renegotiate a lower contract for Rudolph, nope. Then Kyle Rudolph is not able to participate in spring training and most to not all of preseason games because of that foot issue that the Giants knew about back in spring.

The next GM could randomly throw a dart at names to select people for the Giants draft and easily do a better job of getting players for the Giants than what Gettleman did.

We're about as far from being competitive as Pluto is from the sun. Jones' limitations are well known at this point, plus he's getting killed trying to make plays with one of the worst offensive playbooks and worst offensive lines in the league. The owner is 67 going on 90, the GM is even older, and the coach is a fake tough guy who crumbles under the pressure of managing an actual game.

So to answer the question, it will take a few years just to throw all these clowns out of the car and bring the offense into the 21st century.

The Mara family are terrible ownership and it does not appear that they'll make a smart GM/Coach hire for this next go around if past action and inaction are any indicator. So I'll say minimum 5 years. They have to do the QB cycle again, in a terrible QB class. That takes a long time and even then you're basically just hoping you have the stability and culture in place to not ruin the kid before he even takes a snap.

Bad ownership can fluke into a few runs here and there (see the 2 SBs) but to actually build something and something sustainable without some real generational level talent is a big ask.

Ever the wild-eyed optimist, I say the NYGs can win the NFC-East in 2022 if they get lucky in the draft, scoring a generational OT and franchise QB with their first two picks.  A few mock drafts I've seen have them doing exactly that.  As for the Super Bowl, history shows that once the NYGs are in the playoffs all bets are off.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 11:54 AM, DannyB said:

Too hard to predict this stuff in today's NFL. You either luck into a quarterback or you don't. Could be two years could be 20. Miami hasn't had one since the late 90s

The Dolphins haven't had one since 1980. The Marino years were an insulting pantyhose waste. Lead the entire game -- often by wide margin -- in 1994 playoffs at San Diego yet get outrushed 40 attempts to 8. That shouldn't be remotely possible yet Marino and Shula allowed it to happen. I was charting the game for betting purposes and laughing all the way. Deserved humiliating defeat and so representative of that pathetic era.

Fortunately I grew up with the physical smart resourceful terrific early '70s Dolphins.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:39 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They need to rebuild the QB position and OL, those things could either happen next year or not for 10 years and by then all the young pieces you have are gone. The Giants have a short window to find a QB to maximize Barkley, Toney, etc. as well as the defensive pieces they have.

I don't have much faith that will happen.

I think their best route at this point would be to sign a veteran like Jimmy G to a 1-2 year deal assuming he's a cap casualty as opposed to trading a massive amount of draft capital for someone like Wilson. Signing someone like Jimmy, hiring a new HC, and then going OL heavy in the draft and free agency could turn the team around quickly. 

What I'd do personally: 

• Sign Jimmy G /  Ben Jones / Melvin Gordon 

• Draft Evan Neal / Ikem Ekwonu with their 2 first round picks

An OL of Thomas - Ekwonu - Jones - ?  - Neal could be much improved. 

• Like 1