2021 Week #16 GDT Steelers visit The Chiefs

Steeler Hitman

8 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

if we can top cleveland and baltimore which is eminently possible it's still more likely than not we wind up in the dance, probably scoring a date with buffalo upstate... i'm not saying it's impossible...

I hope the Steelers do not make it to the playoffs.  They would be embarrassed with another 1st round loss and it would hurt their draft choice.

• Like 1

Ya'll don't think we could beat Ryan Tannahill and the Titans? 

I'll never not root for this team to not make the playoffs. Embarrassment or not, dragging this team to the playoffs while knocking the off-season super bowl champion Browns out of it is worth every single embarrassment that might come. 

I also, oddly, find more value in changes coming from a second embarrassing playoff exit than I do from missing the playoffs and having the narrative heading into the offseason being "we cant compete" vs "we were a game away!". 

If we lost out and it was a top 10 pick, maybe. But I don't see a ton of value in going from 21 to 15. Draft is too unpredictable. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

I lived through the 80's so I have seen bad teams.  Cowher had some bad teams.  The Steelers have not had a really bad team since 1999.   If you have been a Steeler fan less than 20 years, you are a bit spoiled by how good they have been.

I will go back to Tomlin being somewhat shackled with Ben's style.  I do not think they have changed the passing playbook much since Ariens left.  Ben is a HOF but he can't win with this team. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, August4th said:

steeler fans(not here) already losing their minds after 1 bad season lol just seen someone say its fair to compare the steelers owner/FO to that Pirates.... 🙄

I do think this team needs major changes to the front office and coaching staff, but yeah, many Steeler fans are either extremely spoiled or just flat out ignorant.   They freak out every year this team misses the playoffs.   

As @jebrick stated, we have been blessed in recent memory to have competitive teams for the large part of 2 decades, but this team isnt like, say, the 2009 team that drastically underachieved, or the 2013 team that just needed some tweaks.   

This legit feels like a bad team that, in ways, has OVER achieved.    This isnt a team that can bounce back easily after one offseason (barring it being an amazing offseason).   This feels like a team on the cusp of being a mediocre team for potentially several years, if not longer, and many Steeler fans cant process that.

I started watching the Steelers right around the time Cowher took over,  so Ive admittedly been extremely spoiled, because outside of 5 or 6 seasons, this teams has been pretty competitive in the AFC for almost 30 years.

However, more than anything, I am a realist, and Im not going to delude myself into believing this team will be a top team my entire life.   Hell, the fact this team has been as good as it has most of my life is pretty impressive...but if we are about to enter an extended period of mediocrity, so be it.   I am hoping thats not the case, but if it is...oh well.   Ive already witnessed this team have more success in my 39 years than some people ever have, and if youre a Steeler fan who got to live through the 70s dynasty....you are spoiled rotten.

Bottom line....this team needs alot of work, but its nowhere near the Pirates situation.   Thats laughable.   The NFL is cyclical.  Even if we have another 80s style decade ahead of us, we should still be grateful we have gotten to experience so many glory years.    That doesn't mean we cant rip the team up and down for sucking, but at the same time, people need to keep things in perspective.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

I do think this team needs major changes to the front office and coaching staff, but yeah, many Steeler fans are either extremely spoiled or just flat out ignorant.   They freak out every year this team misses the playoffs.   

As @jebrick stated, we have been blessed in recent memory to have competitive teams for the large part of 2 decades, but this team isnt like, say, the 2009 team that drastically underachieved, or the 2013 team that just needed some tweaks.   

This legit feels like a bad team that, in ways, has OVER achieved.    This isnt a team that can bounce back easily after one offseason (barring it being an amazing offseason).   This feels like a team on the cusp of being a mediocre team for potentially several years, if not longer, and many Steeler fans cant process that.

I started watching the Steelers right around the time Cowher took over,  so Ive admittedly been extremely spoiled, because outside of 5 or 6 seasons, this teams has been pretty competitive in the AFC for almost 30 years.

However, more than anything, I am a realist, and Im not going to delude myself into believing this team will be a top team my entire life.   Hell, the fact this team has been as good as it has most of my life is pretty impressive...but if we are about to enter an extended period of mediocrity, so be it.   I am hoping thats not the case, but if it is...oh well.   Ive already witnessed this team have more success in my 39 years than some people ever have, and if youre a Steeler fan who got to live through the 70s dynasty....you are spoiled rotten.

Bottom line....this team needs alot of work, but its nowhere near the Pirates situation.   Thats laughable.   The NFL is cyclical.  Even if we have another 80s style decade ahead of us, we should still be grateful we have gotten to experience so many glory years.    That doesn't mean we cant rip the team up and down for sucking, but at the same time, people need to keep things in perspective.

I agree with this 100% 

the Lakers just had a losing decade and Yankess with all their financial advantages have not won a title in 10+ yrs. Franchises can't stay competitive all the time. I'm grateful that I've seen so much success watching this team and all the history during the SB era, so I can't be all that mad at the idea of us having some down yrs. everybody has to go through it. we're due some losing seasons and last place finishes. I just hope its a few down years and not a generation of losing like what happen to the Raiders, fins, redskins etc..

4 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Can't teach effort ... I don't want him back ... I know technically he'll probably be affordable depth/swing starter , but no thanks I want you to give effort every play

It’s just a pattern too. The not going to get his QB, the giving up on plays, not finishing a block. This guy just has too many red flag plays. 

More from the “offensive” line:

Yes, Melvin Ingrams spin move is awesome but this shows some of Moores issues. Tight hips, too big of a drop, elbows flap in his drop, punched with both hands to the same side of the rushers body. He just gave the clinic in how to be beat to the inside. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

It’s just a pattern too. The not going to get his QB, the giving up on plays, not finishing a block. This guy just has too many red flag plays. 

I never got why people started defending him.    At most, he was the best player on a horrid line, and him being the "best" was certainly debatable.     He was horrible early on, and while he did improve, it wasnt to the level of a starting caliber OLineman.

I dont want him back either, but I wouldnt be shocked if we gave him a one year deal.   Although they might decide to keep Banner....even though they shouldnt....in which case Chuks is done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

I never got why people started defending him.    At most, he was the best player on a horrid line, and him being the "best" was certainly debatable.     He was horrible early on, and while he did improve, it wasnt to the level of a starting caliber OLineman.

I dont want him back either, but I wouldnt be shocked if we gave him a one year deal.   Although they might decide to keep Banner....even though they shouldnt....in which case Chuks is done.

I got a feeling we give an “offer” like 1/$8mil to him with the intent of being the swing tackle and he goes the way of Hubbard and takes a 4/$20 somewhere else. Basically an average line that wants a starting RT. Like Miami, Buffalo, or LAR/C. 

I would lose 0 sleep on having 4, or Heres a hot take, even 5 new starting offensive linemen next year. 

8 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Moore and green are staying, you have to give them an off-season at least to improve.  Moore position could change though

I'd like to see Cross drafted to play LT and move Moore to RT or maybe LG. And Dotson move to RG 

They are staying, but they wont necessarily be starting.    Neither showed enough to just hand them back their jobs.  

I could honestly see both Green and Moore changing positions, based on who we bring in.    Like, say we brought in a free agent LT and drafted a first round center....I could see moving Moore to RT and Green to G....although both would have to compete for their jobs.