Week 17 SNF Vikings @ Packers: Postgame - Packers WIN 37-10, CLINCH #1 seed!

FAH1223

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2022/1/3/22864448/packers-week-17-snap-counts-defense-gets-off-the-field-keeping-gary-company-fresh

Snap counts.  Interesting notes to me:

• 7 two-back Dillon-Jones snaps.  
  • TE:  32/30/19/13 Davis/Deguara/Dafney/Lewis.  The two interesting aspects there are 1.25 TE/snap, and that Davis played more than Deguara.  Seems Davis is viewed as the next-after-Lewis power-run-blocker.  
  • WR:  2.65 WR/snap.  
  • CB:  3.0/snap
  • Safety:  2.0/snap
  • OLB:  2.0/snap
  • ILB:  1.7/snap
  • Dl:  2.3/snap
  • DL:  39/35/21/16/13 Clark/Lowry/Slaton/Anderson/Lancaster.  
  • Of interest to me is that there was so little "scheming": they just stuck with standard 3/2/2 CB/safety/OLB every set, no variation.  No diming at all.  
  • And interesting that Slaton > Anderson > Lancaster on line.  Slaton played quite a bit.  Lancaster played, but only 13 snaps.  Not sure if that was because he's kinda hurt, or because he's just been passed up by both Slaton and Anderson?

Clark Question: Yesterday was probably kinda representative in that he played ~70% of snaps and rested on ~30%.  

How and when do they rest him?  

• Is it for series, kinda like they do with Gary and Preston?
  • Or does he rest specifically on some of the 3rd-and-long passing plays?
  • Or is it completely random and matchup-dependent?  
  • *IF* he sits for series involving running-possible plays, which guy plays his nose spot?  Is it big Slaton?  Or is stocky Lancaster?  
  • For all the games I watch, I realize I've been too dumb and naive to watch for details like that, and naturally announcers never mention stuff like that.  

12 minutes ago, craig said:

• And interesting that Slaton > Anderson > Lancaster on line.  Slaton played quite a bit.  Lancaster played, but only 13 snaps.  Not sure if that was because he's kinda hurt, or because he's just been passed up by both Slaton and Anderson?

I would guess that Lancaster is still not 100%.  Wasn't he on the covid list until Thursday?  He just played his second most snaps of the season against Cleveland (34, 50%) as well.  Probably a good idea to get Slaton and Anderson some burn.  I would imagine that we will need all three in the playoffs.  It would be nice to have fresh linemen.

[edit]  Look at Lancaster's snap count.  As far as I can tell, it is match-up dependent.  He played a lot against the Seahawks and Browns.  He played almost no snaps against the Rams and Bears.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LancTy00.htm

Edited by ThatJerkDave
more info
  • Like 1

There have been various posts hoping that the Packers would just run it a ton. 

• I actually loved MLF and Rodgers' game-planning to take what was most available.  Used the run nicely, but didn't force it.  
  • Prior to Love/Patrick garbage time, it was 38/22 pass/run ratio. 
  • Jones/Dillon combined for 139, with a 6.3 ypc.  But I think a lot of those yards came on some of the explosive runs, and came after the passing game was working. 
  • Pass sets up run, obviously.    
  • Overall I thought it was a nice balance, and I'm glad they didn't try to force the run excessively.  

One play that bummed me out was Deguara whiffing on that beautiful TD pass by Rodgers in the first half. 

• Deguara had a step, Rodgers threw a perfect ball, right on his hands, and he missed it. 
  • Outten has been talking up Deguara, and he seems like a guy we'd love to have emerge as a sure-handed guy who can catch the balls that come his way. 
  • But man, this is at least a couple of gross misses he's had on non-easy close-coverage balls in at-the-time-important situations. 
  • A couple weeks ago he missed a side-line pass in what seemed an important situation.  
  • I know good pass-catchers miss balls, last week Adams whiffed on a beautiful throw, too.  So it happens for sure, for whatever reason.  
  • But man, when a guy is trying to establish himself as a guy you can trust, missing a couple of tight throws is really counterproductive, and totally does NOT justify trusting him.  If you can only trust him to catch wide-open uncovered easy balls, that's disappointing.  Need him to be able to make some sideline catches, and some end-zone and middle-of-the-field catches where the windows aren't humungous.  

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Dennis Kelly. Another big-time add by Gute. Wasn't needed for 3/4ths of the year, but that's why you sign those types of guys. 

Ya I’ve become more and more convinced TTs (RIP og) refusal to do this played a pretty big role in GB only getting over the hump 1 year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, craig said:

One play that bummed me out was Deguara whiffing on that beautiful TD pass by Rodgers in the first half. 

• Deguara had a step, Rodgers threw a perfect ball, right on his hands, and he missed it. 
  • Outten has been talking up Deguara, and he seems like a guy we'd love to have emerge as a sure-handed guy who can catch the balls that come his way. 
  • But man, this is at least a couple of gross misses he's had on non-easy close-coverage balls in at-the-time-important situations. 
  • A couple weeks ago he missed a side-line pass in what seemed an important situation.  
  • I know good pass-catchers miss balls, last week Adams whiffed on a beautiful throw, too.  So it happens for sure, for whatever reason.  
  • But man, when a guy is trying to establish himself as a guy you can trust, missing a couple of tight throws is really counterproductive, and totally does NOT justify trusting him.  If you can only trust him to catch wide-open uncovered easy balls, that's disappointing.  Need him to be able to make some sideline catches, and some end-zone and middle-of-the-field catches where the windows aren't humungous.  

Felt like that ball was exactly in that tiny little spot where you don't know if you turn your back and catch the ball over your shoulder or square up and catch it in front of you. Looked to me like he got crossed up and was turning his body to catch it in front of him and his hands to catch it over his shoulders. 

Such a perfect throw.. Probably a couple inches either way and he grabs it easily. 

• Like 2