Week 17 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

The long td to Kendrick Bourne was probably more on the safety than on Diggs. Bourne beat him on the route, but the safety took one of the worst angles I've ever seen coming over the top and if he'd done his job it probably would've been limited to a 30-something yard gain. 

He got beat on the double, went in & underneath instead of going over the top once the ball was in the air, and was basically standing still as the ball was caught. Terrible play by Kazee too but Diggs deserves every bit of blame that he gets for that play. Aggressiveness a blessing and a curse, life of a ball hawking CB. 

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Kadarius Toney probably knows. Between Toney’s game, and the two long TDs given up (vs Broncos and vs Patriots) that’s probably ~200 yards in 10-15 some odds plays.

Yes, and those are always the go to examples (and the Patriots play was more on Kazee at safety). That doesn’t account for the entire season. Every time Diggs gives up a play everyone goes wild. You would think there would be more examples. 

If Diggs was struggling with plays like that with any degree of consistency I’d definitely be worried. He has been a huge part of the turn around for the Dallas defense. 

22 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean, it's a public website. You can literally pull up the game log for yourself.

I'll do the hard part for you.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggTr00/gamelog/2021/advanced/

Right, I understand that the stats are put out there. I’m simply wondering how these yards are being attributed. I’m genuinely curious, because it doesn’t line up with what many see when watching. It’s the reason that many Dallas fans scoff and roll their eyes at the numbers. I’ve certainly seen plenty of terrible CB play with Dallas… hard to believe that Diggs of all players would be the worst, and that’s without even considering his interceptions (which have been absolutely huge for the team).

1 minute ago, NoFlyZone said:

Yes, and those are always the go to examples (and the Patriots play was more on Kazee at safety). That doesn’t account for the entire season. Every time Diggs gives up a play everyone goes wild. You would think there would be more examples. 

If Diggs was struggling with plays like that with any degree of consistency I’d definitely be worried. He has been a huge part of the turn around for the Dallas defense. 

Not even the worst DB in football gets beat for long plays week in and week out. You do that for a couple games and get benched (see: Dan Sorensen for KC to start the year) or cut (see: Bashaud Breeland for Minnesota this year.) You're just not looking at and understanding the statistics. 853 yards is 53 yards per game. There will be a couple games with long ones allowed, but more often it's going to mean he's allowing 4 or 5 catches for like 15 yards per catch.

19 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

I wish that Joe Burrow thread wasn't locked. That would have been such an epic thread to bump.

Mods did that guy a solid by locking it so he doesn't have to get his hide proverbially skinned every week. Saved him from himself. Should thank them for being a friend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Not even the worst DB in football gets beat for long plays week in and week out. You do that for a couple games and get benched (see: Dan Sorensen for KC to start the year) or cut (see: Bashaud Breeland for Minnesota this year.) You're just not looking at and understanding the statistics. 853 yards is 53 yards per game. There will be a couple games with long ones allowed, but more often it's going to mean he's allowing 4 or 5 catches for like 15 yards per catch.

Alright, sure, that makes sense. That said, I don’t see Diggs repeatedly getting beaten in these games for 15 yards a pop. I’d definitely hate it if he was… so I’m not sure what I’m missing. Wish there was actually a breakdown of his game to illustrate this happening. The closest thing I can think of is actually his game against the Chargers… but by in large it seems like Diggs is very rarely even popping up in these games in terms of  giving up a new set of downs on catches against him. 

And this is coming from someone who is rather aware of when he gets beaten… because I know everyone is going to point and say “See?? He sucks!”. Genuinely don’t understand.

Edited by NoFlyZone

2 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Yes, and those are always the go to examples (and the Patriots play was more on Kazee at safety).

Really wasn’t. Diggs was manned up, bit on the double move (as gambling corners do) with one safety over the top, then runs underneath the route, and then gives up on the play. Kazee should’ve made a play too but Diggs gets (and deserves) a ton of blame for that. It’s Cover-1, you’re not going to put most of the blame on the safety for the CB biting on a double move. 

If Diggs would have looked to make a play on Bourne instead of coming underneath and trotting around as the ball got to the receiver, he’d have every chance at making the tackle. 

2 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

That doesn’t account for the entire season. Every time Diggs gives up a play everyone goes wild. You would think there would be more examples. 

No, but the other stats do. Simply throwing 200ish yards out in one game + 2 plays because they stick out to me. Don’t think it’s a stretch that a starting corner that doesn’t come off the field might give up 57 YPG after that.

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Really wasn’t. Diggs was manned up, bit on the double move (as gambling corners do) with one safety over the top, then runs underneath the route, and then gives up on the play. Kazee should’ve made a play too but Diggs gets (and deserves) a ton of blame for that. It’s Cover-1, you’re not going to put most of the blame on the safety for the CB biting on a double move. 

If Diggs would have looked to make a play on Bourne instead of coming underneath and trotting around as the ball got to the receiver, he’d have every chance at making the tackle. 

No, but the other stats do. Simply throwing 200ish yards out in one game + 2 plays because they stick out to me. Don’t think it’s a stretch that a starting corner that doesn’t come off the field might give up 57 YPG after that.

My issue with blaming Diggs on the NE play is that he peeled off because he thought Kazee was making the play… they both more or less said as much after the game, too. I understand that technically it was Diggs’ guy, but he peeled off to let Kazee make the easy play and then wasn’t in position to recover when Kazee laughably blew it. Again, you could technically say it was on Diggs, but there was a lot more to that play. 

Slightly confused about the 2nd part of your post. 200ish yards from one game? I’m assuming you’re referring to Toney… but I’m not sure why Toney’s total yardage is being attributed to Diggs. He wasn’t following Toney in that game, and certainly got beat well on one play… but he was absolutely not responsible for Toney’s total yardage. I’m simply looking for specific examples of Diggs consistently being beaten several times a game on a per game basis. It just doesn’t actually feel like it’s happening.

56 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, if NFZ says he didn't give up all those yards then it must be true.

I find it laughable that you can act like you’re being rational when all I’m asking for is how those stats are being attributed. I’m asking for evidence/ reasoning. Get off the high horse. You can’t even bringing constructive conversation to table… pretty much ever. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

1 minute ago, NoFlyZone said:

I find it laughable that you can act like you’re being rational when all I’m asking for is how those stats are being attributed. I’m asking for evidence/ reasoning. Get off the high horse. You can’t even bringing constructive conversation to table… pretty much ever. 

@Jakuvious put it out there for you.  PFF attributes 53 receptions to Diggs.  PFR attributes 52.  Those numbers are valid.