TowerBridge Random Musings

Towerbridge

32 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

It's sad that people want to expand the playoffs so dozens of teams get "CFB Playoff Participant!" Banners.

Lol Not even close to being true and the very first year is evident of that. So many argued OSU didn't deserve to be there and look what happened. 

No one is calling for "dozens" either. I'm sorry this worries you but that's a "you" problem and that's it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Lol Not even close to being true and the very first year is evident of that. So many argued OSU didn't deserve to be there and look what happened. 

No one is calling for "dozens" either. I'm sorry this worries you but that's a "you" problem and that's it

Until a few years ago, it was 'no one' who had a problem as we didn't have a playoff system. Now that we have it, everyone wants to cheapen the regular season by inviting teams that would be laughable to include in the CFB - can you say with a straight face that there was another team more deserving than the 4 that got in? And why should they be included?

The only reason expansion is even being discussed right now is because the NCAA sees it as additional $$$, not because it improves the product or makes people happy.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Until a few years ago, it was 'no one' who had a problem as we didn't have a playoff system. Now that we have it, everyone wants to cheapen the regular season by inviting teams that would be laughable to include in the CFB - can you say with a straight face that there was another team more deserving than the 4 that got in? And why should they be included?

The only reason expansion is even being discussed right now is because the NCAA sees it as additional $$$, not because it improves the product or makes people happy.

"Deserving" isn't the point. This year, especially, there's no clear cut best team. It looked like UGA but that could be bc they didn't really play anyone. Bama looked like trash a couple times this year. Michigan did as well. Nothing wrong with adding a few more teams to the mix to see if they can win the tournament. Every year we've had other teams that could arguably be in the mix to get a shot and they've been turned away, mostly due to the conference they play in. 

I don't care why it's being discussed but I'm glad it is bc I feel it'll make it better. You disagree. That's fine. Give the '17 UCF team their chance in the future. If you're so certain you're better, it shouldn't bother you. 

I’ll still pound the drum for 8 being the perfect number. 5 conference champs for your 5 power conferences (pending whatever happens to the Big XII) and 3 at large teams re-seeded 1-8.

Sure, this year as a whole college football is down, but years like 2015 with a 1 loss OSU and a good 2 loss PAC 12 champ in Stanford, with a bunch of 1 loss tiebreaker teams who were left out, it would have been ideal.

Throw in those UCF undefeated teams as your at large, or even that BCS Boise State team who upset OU, the Utah team with Alex Smith or the one who thumped Alabama way back, and it would have been better for everyone.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’ll still pound the drum for 8 being the perfect number. 5 conference champs for your 5 power conferences (pending whatever happens to the Big XII) and 3 at large teams re-seeded 1-8.

Sure, this year as a whole college football is down, but years like 2015 with a 1 loss OSU and a good 2 loss PAC 12 champ in Stanford, with a bunch of 1 loss tiebreaker teams who were left out, it would have been ideal.

Throw in those UCF undefeated teams as your at large, or even that BCS Boise State team who upset OU, the Utah team with Alex Smith or the one who thumped Alabama way back, and it would have been better for everyone.

Stop making sense

The failures of both Georgia and Iowa to win their CCG games has put me even more in favor of CFP expansion. Had at least one of those teams won, Notre Dame would be making its first ever back-to-back CFP appearances, the earliest that can now happen is 2022 and 2023. It is the first CFP without either ND or OSU since the disastrous 2017 CFP that only featured Southern teams, which was a driving factor for me favoring a Mason-Dixon format for an expanded CFP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

You keep saying “cheapen” as if the regular season isn’t already cheapened by teams scheduling cupcakes and basically playing 2 preseason games. There’s nothing special about college regular season.

Are you trolling?  College football regular season is by far the greatest in all of sports

• Like 1