Angels, Juston Upton Agree to 5 year, $106M deal

CWood21

This is why opt outs are just brutal for teams. This is a good deal for the Angels, don't get me wrong, but this is also a really good deal for Upton. He was able to sign an extension for security, still get to FA, and because he had an opt out he was able to get a slight bump on that second FA contract.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

I still don't understand why teams backload these contracts. 

When is the Angels TV deal up locally? Often I suspect that or a national deal is the case, have a higher salary when you assume you're going to have more money to spend.

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

When is the Angels TV deal up locally? Often I suspect that or a national deal is the case, have a higher salary when you assume you're going to have more money to spend.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose the players could also be asking for it that way, but man, so many of these contracts just turn into absolute grenades when these players get in their mid 30s

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

I still don't understand why teams backload these contracts. 

Same reason teams evenly distribute money even though the players decline over the length of the deal, or why teams offer more years than a player is worth to get the first 2 years: it's a short term loan to yourself.

And players like Upton are going to be willing to accept it because it also works a little bit like a no-trade clause and he doesn't need the money now.

Archived