Week 18 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you're a Rams fan, I Feel like you have to be at least a little mad at how McVay called that final set of downs before the game tying touchdown. You just traded for the guy you thought was going to be the guy...gave up 2 first round picks for him...and you go run, run, run when a first down will ice the game? Just a rough way to go about that when the other team has 3 timeouts. 

Thats what Ive been saying. I was screaming on 3rd down for the Rams to playaction pass bc I knew the Niners were expecting run. Get the 1st down and game over. I put most of the blame on McVay. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Thats what Ive been saying. I was screaming on 3rd down for the Rams to playaction pass bc I knew the Niners were expecting run. Get the 1st down and game over. I put most of the blame on McVay. 

The Niners were not going to be fooled with a play action on that play since there was only one WR on the field. Rams should have used their usual three WR set and just tried to get the first down. Rams were like 10-18 on 3rd downs so not sure why McVay played that so conservatively. And there was plenty of time left where it's not like making the Niners use a TO was going to make it impossible to drive the length of the field. 

49ers held the Rams under 300 yards in both match ups. Very good! 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Niners were not going to be fooled with a play action on that play since there was only one WR on the field. Rams should have used their usual three WR set and just tried to get the first down. Rams were like 10-18 on 3rd downs so not sure why McVay played that so conservatively. And there was plenty of time left where it's not like making the Niners use a TO was going to make it impossible to drive the length of the field. 

49ers held the Rams under 300 yards in both match ups. Very good! 

That too. Any type of pass play that can get a 1st down wouldve done the trick. Idk why McVay thought it was ok to run three straight times unless he was super confident the Rams would get the 1st down just by running only. 

To win, San Francisco would need to force a three-and-out and burn all three timeouts, then drive down the field to score a touchdown and eventually beat the Rams in overtime. Next Gen Stats gave the 49ers a 0.4 percent chance of winning.

The 0.4-percent clip was the lowest win probability for any team to emerge victorious since Next Gen Stats launched in 2016. Yes, even lower than the New England Patriots’ infamous rally from down 28-3 against the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-conquer-impossible-odds-sean-mcvay-streak-comeback-win

It really felt like the sack Von had against us was a killer. Just goes to show how improbable this comeback was

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

That too. Any type of pass play that can get a 1st down wouldve done the trick. Idk why McVay thought it was ok to run three straight times unless he was super confident the Rams would get the 1st down just by running only. 

McVay's conservativeness is going to cost the Rams in the playoffs at some point. He's the opposite of Staley in that regard. Team is too talented to play it safe and it's not like he has an average QB that he has to reel in. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McVay's conservativeness is going to cost the Rams in the playoffs at some point. He's the opposite of Staley in that regard. Team is too talented to play it safe and it's not like he has an average QB that he has to reel in. 

I hope you are wrong but I think there is a fine balance between being too conservative and being too aggressive. In that moment right there McVay definitely shouldve passed. Good thing though it happened in the regular season than in a playoff game. We shall see what happens in the playoffs but Im sure McVay knows he cant do what he did today in the playoffs. Part of me think he trusted the defense too much based on them just coming through with that stop. He shouldve understood that outside of two drives in the 2nd half the defense wasnt stopping the Niners. Again make sure the defense never sees the field. He didnt and the Rams paid for it. 

Ill also say this, Jimmy G is the reason why the Niners won. Im certain if Lance was in this same situation no way the Niners wouldve won. So yes Jimmy G was playing hurt and made key mistakes in this game but he is the guy currently. Moving forward we know Lance is the guy and if he lives up to his potential the Niners are going to be even scare but Jimmy G proved again why he is the guy now. I wouldnt be shocked if the Niners beat the Cowboys next week. The Cowboys only can beat up against NFC East teams and bad teams outside of the division. The Niners are a good team with potential in these playoffs. So good luck next week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Ill also say this, Jimmy G is the reason why the Niners won. Im certain if Lance was in this same situation no way the Niners wouldve won. So yes Jimmy G was playing hurt and made key mistakes in this game but he is the guy currently. Moving forward we know Lance is the guy and if he lives up to his potential the Niners are going to be even scare but Jimmy G proved again why he is the guy now. I wouldnt be shocked if the Niners beat the Cowboys next week. The Cowboys only can beat up against NFC East teams and bad teams outside of the division. The Niners are a good team with potential in these playoffs. So good luck next week. 

Look on the bright side: If we win next week you guys don't have to face the Packers, and we either do this again in three weeks with a spot in the Super Bowl on the line or you can be the beneficiary of the Green Bay's annual loss in the NFC Championship.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I hope you are wrong but I think there is a fine balance between being too conservative and being too aggressive. In that moment right there McVay definitely shouldve passed. Good thing though it happened in the regular season than in a playoff game. We shall see what happens in the playoffs but Im sure McVay knows he cant do what he did today in the playoffs. Part of me think he trusted the defense too much based on them just coming through with that stop. He shouldve understood that outside of two drives in the 2nd half the defense wasnt stopping the Niners. Again make sure the defense never sees the field. He didnt and the Rams paid for it. 

This is who he is though, we have over 80 games of a sample size. McVay is the most conservative HC in the league period. 

Watching the game again, Ramsey made a great play on the INT but he allowed over 100 yards and his eyes got him in trouble on two big plays. The pass to Deebo in OT, he bit on the underneath route when he had no reason to since it was completely covered up by another defender and then he allowed the 21 yarder to Aiyuk a few plays earlier. Obviously he bit on the reverse when he was covering Jennings. He was on Deebo for his first big gain on the screen pass but you can't blame him as he couldn't do anything about it. But the final stats against him are going to look UGLY. Will be responsible for over 130 yards. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Watching the game again, Ramsey made a great play on the INT but he allowed over 100 yards and his eyes got him in trouble on two big plays. The pass to Deebo in OT, he bit on the underneath route when he had no reason to since it was completely covered up by another defender and then he allowed the 21 yarder to Aiyuk a few plays earlier. Obviously he bit on the reverse when he was covering Jennings. He was on Deebo for his first big gain on the screen pass but you can't blame him as he couldn't do anything about it. But the final stats against him are going to look UGLY. Will be responsible for over 130 yards. 

Did you watch the second Jennings touchdown? Did rapp bust coverage or were they in zone? He went to corner and I don't know why? I have to think that they wouldn't have left that middle open in zone

24 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Look on the bright side: If we win next week you guys don't have to face the Packers, and we either do this again in three weeks with a spot in the Super Bowl on the line or you can be the beneficiary of the Green Bay's annual loss in the NFC Championship.

True. Green Bay dont want to face the Niners. Its the worse possible matchup for them. Even this year when they beat the Niners, Jimmy G led the team down the field to take the lead. Its just he gave ARod too much time left on the clock. But the Niners played the Packers really well. I hope the Niners beat the Cowboys so I can see that matchup. Then definitely it could be Niners at Rams in the NFCCG for the right to go to the Superbowl. Although I wouldnt pick the Rams to beat the Niners just like I didnt today so Id be congratulating yall on going back to the Superbowl with Jimmy G lol.