Week 18 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Yesterday was nuts. Was this one of the best wins for the Shanahan 49ers? It was certainly the most improbable one. 

Thinking about the run up to this game makes it even crazier:

• Jimmy tears throwing thumb up 2 weeks before game and playing hurt
  • Almost entire secondary tests positive to COVID during the week and misses on-field practice reps, but most are able to play
  • No Trent Williams and K'Waun Williams all week and doesn't play
  • Down 17-0 immediately
  • Defense looks like swiss cheese
  • Punter gets concussion early in game and is out for rest of game
  • 0.04% chance to win game late in the 4th Q

All of this stacked against the Niners and they won. They freaking won. It's still unbelievable. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Shanahan's winning record with Jimmy as opposed to everyone else starts to look less like smoke and mirrors, and his triggerman actually being a quality contributor. Especially when he's had a glaring losing record with everyone else here that has played QB. Jimmy is a crazy case study in QB record actually mattering to a degree. People can sit down and number crunch advanced metrics all day, but somehow someway even without a crispy whip or A++ field waltzing ability, Jimmy finds a way to at least give his team a chance with his mental resolve, and leadership. This team isn't winning in spite of him like half the fanbase has peddled for a while now. You don't win in spite of having the same QB to a 33-16 record, then go 7-27 with everyone else if said QB is so easily replaceable. He's a middle of the pack starter, but he isn't a demoralizing hinderance to the franchise. His health issue has been the biggest problem more than his play. 

This team since 2018 has always won despite Jimmy's inconsistencies and flaws as a QB. To refute that claim reeks of someone refusing to acknowledge the advantages of playing QB in Shanny's system while also turning a blind eye to the consistent miscues Jimmy makes at the position on a regular basis. No QB is perfect. But the anti-Jimmy contingent has been rightly justified with their pitchforks. Consistency is the difference between average QBs and good ones. Jimmy has won more than he has lost becasue he has a incredible playcaller on most Sundays, an above average run game, and one of the better defenses in the league, when healthy. He's very capable of making enough good throws and reads to allow all the other components around him to flourish. But his inconsistency with that apsect of his game is also why we're not a consistently dominant offensively as our talent should dictate. Don't really feel like going down that rabbit hole at the moment but it's very evident we leave alot of yards and points on the field becasue of the type of QB Jimmy is and his obvious limitations.

And I'm not easily moved by the record with other QBs under Shanny in his time here. Those QBs were simply more flawed than Jimmy. Like extremely. Borderline NFL backup material in most cases.  I argued for years that Jimmy should have been pushed by capable starting caliber/back-up for the starting role. Jimmy is excatly who is...a middling QB who gives you a chance most Sundays. He gutted out a big win yesterday playing injured. He should definitely be given credit for that feat. He did make some clutch reads and throws down the stretch. But let's not also gloss over the fact that had McVay not squandered the win with a couple of bad coaching decisions, we would be here talking about a completely different narrative. He's not the worst QB. But there's a big enough sample size to know he's not the QB to lead us where we all ultimately want to be. Healthy or otherwise.

“I was doing a little high-low game with (Ramsey), tried to get him to bite up on George (Kittle),” Garoppolo said. “He took one step to it and I knew I had a window to Deebo. It was pretty tight, but Deebo made a nice catch on it and the run after catch, that’s what that guy does. He’s the best in the league at it.”

-Jimmy on the big Deebo play setting up the game tying TD. 

Yep, Ramsey bit when he shouldn't have and paid for it. Like I mentioned yesterday, his eyes got him in trouble a few times. Despite the INT, probably his worst game of the season. Granted, he's so good that he hardly even has average games but he was responsible for far too many big plays for us. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So pretty much a pick-em on a neutral site. 

Cowboys should definitely be the favorites. Going to be extremely difficult to win that game.

Why is that game on CBS and not FOX though? 

FOX only gets one WC round game this year. CBS gets 2. The one FOX game happens to be a 1pm EST, so they probably didn't get to pick a premium matchup this round. 

Also, ESPN has it as a -3.0 Cowboys, so the line is already moving. 

Edited by NinerNation21

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

This team since 2018 has always won despite Jimmy's inconsistencies and flaws as a QB. To refute that claim reeks of someone refusing to acknowledge the advantages of playing QB in Shanny's system while also turning a blind eye to the consistent miscues Jimmy makes at the position on a regular basis. No QB is perfect. But the anti-Jimmy contingent has been rightly justified with their pitchforks. Consistency is the difference between average QBs and good ones. Jimmy has won more than he has lost becasue he has a incredible playcaller on most Sundays, an above average run game, and one of the better defenses in the league, when healthy. He's very capable of making enough good throws and reads to allow all the other components around him to flourish. But his inconsistency with that apsect of his game is also why we're not a consistently dominant offensively as our talent should dictate. Don't really feel like going down that rabbit hole at the moment but it's very evident we leave alot of yards and points on the field becasue of the type of QB Jimmy is and his obvious limitations.

And I'm not easily moved by the record with other QBs under Shanny in his time here. Those QBs were simply more flawed than Jimmy. Like extremely. Borderline NFL backup material in most cases.  I argued for years that Jimmy should have been pushed by capable starting caliber/back-up for the starting role. Jimmy is excatly who is...a middling QB who gives you a chance most Sundays. He gutted out a big win yesterday playing injured. He should definitely be given credit for that feat. He did make some clutch reads and throws down the stretch. But let's not also gloss over the fact that had McVay not squandered the win with a couple of bad coaching decisions, we would be here talking about a completely different narrative. He's not the worst QB. But there's a big enough sample size to know he's not the QB to lead us where we all ultimately want to be. Healthy or otherwise.

Sure that's one way to look at the situation. If one wants to sit there number crunch, and then proceed to mope in mental anguish about what could have been after the majority of the time you have a win in your pocket with Jimmy G starting, then have at it. I've never heard so much whining about a winning quarterback though. Personally I'm not concerned with style points as much as results. Yeah Jimmy is a middle of the pack QB, but does play better in big moments, and that's not necessarily quantifiable. 

As far as leading us somewhere, that's weird to me because the 49ers were in the Super Bowl with him, and in position to win it. This is a league that has seen Jim Plunkett win two rings off the bench, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Phil Simms, Mark Rypien, and Jeff Hostetler win rings. All while HOF quarterbacks like Moon, Fouts, and Rivers never even reaching the SB with some talented rosters and not being "hidden" by their coaches.  

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe