Week 18 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, adamq said:

Alex Smith does weekly recaps on the ESPN daily podcast.. this week they talked a lot about this game. nothing revelatory but it was cool to hear him talk about it

So far this year, I felt like he was more reluctant to talk about the niners than he was about the Chiefs and WTF. It's understandable. I'll listen to this podcast later.

My dream podcast is Joe Staley and Alex together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

In 2019, we often had Nick and Dee lined up side-by-side, whether it was inside on one side of the line. There's only so much an OL can do. You can't double them both. And if they're not doubled, they're in the backfield. In the last two games, we've seen a lot of Bosa isolation far on one side with the 3 other linemen bundled up far on the other side. That has generated a lot of pressure, but not a lot for Nick, as he often ended up triple teamed. He's been great about it, but the guy deserves to get easy rushes too, so I was glad to see him get a couple of inside stunts as well. And having Key and Bosa side by side is a problem for opposing OL too.

• Like 2

I'm re-watching this game and I found the moment the tide shifted in our favor. It wasn't when McVay was celebrating in the endzone. It was at 0:50 left in the second quarter courtesy, Nick Bosa.

Up until this point on passing downs, the Rams were doubling Bosa, sometimes tripling him regardless of where he lined up. There were times where Bosa was playing RDT and he would get the LG/C double team, which put the tackles in 1-on-1 situations with our Ends. 

But on 3rd & 1 with 0:50 left in the half at the Rams 42. They leave Bosa 1-on-1 with the RT. Bosa cleanly beats him for the easy sack. Drive over. This is the beginning of the end for the Rams. This one mistake, most likely arrogance or shear ignorance by the Rams, was the biggest play of the game for the 49ers because it opened the door for the 49ers and they never looked back.

• Like 2

I feel like with us now being 6-0 against the Rams and winning this one they way we did, coupled with the Seahawks possibly taking a step backward, that our new rivalry is Rams/Niners.

I feel like the first meeting between these two teams next year is a marquee primetime matchup that will be a hated dog fight between them. 

I can see the NFL wanting this one fairly early in the season and on Sunday Night Football. I guarantee the NFL is circling this matchup for one of their top ones for next season.

• Like 1