Week 18 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is who he is though, we have over 80 games of a sample size. McVay is the most conservative HC in the league period. 

I get what you are saying but this is the first time McVay has lost a game when leading at halftime. The Rams are normally a great 2nd half team. Our problem has always been starting the game off slowly. We started off fast today. The issue was we finally lost in the 2nd half. I have no problem trusting the defense. We trusted the defense last week and the week before last and they got the job done. I thought they got the job done in the 4th quarter today but its a big ask for them to go make another big defensive stance on the Niners last possession of the 4th when they tied it and then another defensive stance in OT which they did held the Niners to a FG to at least give the offense a chance. Just like its big ask to ask Stafford to go back down the field and lead the Rams to another scoring drive to win. 

Edited by stl4life07

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Did you watch the second Jennings touchdown? Did rapp bust coverage or were they in zone? He went to corner and I don't know why? I have to think that they wouldn't have left that middle open in zone

About to get there right now actually! Just got done with the long pass to Deebo. Jimmy pump faked to Kittle and Ramsey bit on it and let Deebo get behind him. You would have thought he was Diggs the way he played today lol. 

Edit: I have no idea what Rapp was doing but I'm guessing he was the one that blew that assignment. He went to a spot where there was no receiver. Then #11 called for #33 to take on Jennings but both went to Aiyuk. Though at that point it was too late. 

• Like 1

On the miss to Deebo in OT on the first play, Aikman made it seem like if he catches it then it is a TD but I don't think that was going to happen. Rams had a safety deep and there was some traffic. No doubt Deebo is able to get 20+ yards by doing what he does after the catch but Aikman certainly exaggerated a bit there LOL. 

DJ Jones is just a freaking MONSTER against the run. He gets great leverage and holds double teams well. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Armstead has been getting off the snap quicker than he had been. Maybe it is being on the inside but he used to be a bit slow off the snap compared to the rest of the DL but he was getting off very quickly today. Definitely just a much better interior player. Ebukam and Willis are also good against the run. Hold the edges well and anytime you put a TE on them, they will punish them and push them back to the QB. 

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Ill also say this, Jimmy G is the reason why the Niners won. Im certain if Lance was in this same situation no way the Niners wouldve won. So yes Jimmy G was playing hurt and made key mistakes in this game but he is the guy currently. Moving forward we know Lance is the guy and if he lives up to his potential the Niners are going to be even scare but Jimmy G proved again why he is the guy now. I wouldnt be shocked if the Niners beat the Cowboys next week. The Cowboys only can beat up against NFC East teams and bad teams outside of the division. The Niners are a good team with potential in these playoffs. So good luck next week. 

Shanahan's winning record with Jimmy as opposed to everyone else starts to look less like smoke and mirrors, and his triggerman actually being a quality contributor. Especially when he's had a glaring losing record with everyone else here that has played QB. Jimmy is a crazy case study in QB record actually mattering to a degree. People can sit down and number crunch advanced metrics all day, but somehow someway even without a crispy whip or A++ field waltzing ability, Jimmy finds a way to at least give his team a chance with his mental resolve, and leadership. This team isn't winning in spite of him like half the fanbase has peddled for a while now. You don't win in spite of having the same QB to a 33-16 record, then go 7-27 with everyone else if said QB is so easily replaceable. He's a middle of the pack starter, but he isn't a demoralizing hinderance to the franchise. His health issue has been the biggest problem more than his play. 

• Like 1

Anyway, that was an epic comeback. I saw the broadcast on tape delay, and avoided spoilers. I'll be watching the playoff journey, however long that is, live here. I can't believe we've beaten the Rams six straight now. This feels like the 1990's again to a degree with the 49ers just having that crazy win streak against them. Except even with a less sample size it's pretty impressive given that this Rams team isn't a doormat like the squad in that previous era. 

Also, Sucks that I missed a pretty remarkable season finale in the NFL. That Raiders/Chargers game was bonkers. And the Jaguars beating the Colts!!! Crazy. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Sup fellas, (didn't know where to post this) just started diving into it but there's a docu-series on Peacock about Joe Montana called Cool Under Pressure. So far so good, they used some clips from the old Fire Inside bio from around '95. I figured some of y'all would be interested, especially @TecmoSuperJoe 

Joe will forever be my fave QB and if he was never traded to KC I'd be a 49er fan today. 

Anyways, good win today and good luck in the playoffs ✌️

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Sup fellas, (didn't know where to post this) just started diving into it but there's a docu-series on Peacock about Joe Montana called Cool Under Pressure. So far so good, they used some clips from the old Fire Inside bio from around '95. I figured some of y'all would be interested, especially @TecmoSuperJoe 

Joe will forever be my fave QB and if he was never traded to KC I'd be a 49er fan today. 

Anyways, good win today and good luck in the playoffs ✌️

Yes I posted the trailer here like a week back or so. I ummm..."acquired" the first two episodes myself and was saving them for this upcoming week following the 49ers/Rams game. Either it was going to be a nice stack following a weekend of smiles, or it was going to make for a good source of copium as the season ended. I'm glad to say it will be the former!!! I might share them here via MEGA file link if anyone is interested. Or unlisted YouTube link. 

Anyways, thanks for the heads up! Even with the Super Bowl loss, I'll always have a slight soft spot in my heart for the Chiefs due to Big Papa Joe playing over there for a couple of seasons. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Stop doubting the pretty face prince :)

Jimmy made plays at the end no doubt. But he was a main factor for us being in that position. People forget the defense and running gm got us back in the game. 

Glad we won but we can't win next wk with that same Jimmy. 

39 minutes ago, sherm said:

Jimmy made plays at the end no doubt. But he was a main factor for us being in that position. People forget the defense and running gm got us back in the game. 

Glad we won but we can't win next wk with that same Jimmy. 

And what's the alternative? Play Trey Lance? He probably gets bodied in the Rams game. 

Jimmy had a typical Jimmy game and it resulted in what it usually does when he's in the saddle: a win. Given the circumstances that he had a busted hand, was missing his starting tackles, and was playing on the road in a must win game...hard to complain with the results. Even at his worst he usually helps give the team a chance. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe